Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

LED Brake lights and tail lights buld

I am thinking about replacing tail lights and rear brake lights with LED bulbs and found a few sites selling these LEDs. Anyone tried these or similar replacements? Are these any better or worse once installed? Any other brand or site recommendations?

Here are the sites:

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-33240.cfm

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

Thanks

Dan

I haven't tried them, but they certaily look interesting. I assume they would replace the brake lights, while the rear running lights would remain unchanged.

Post pics if you decide to install them!

good luck trying to remove the tailights :D

i havnet had any success dealer always does my bulbs

:P

Bring it over to my house and I will show you how.

Bucks County, PA

I haven't tried them, but they certaily look interesting. I assume they would replace the brake lights, while the rear running lights would remain unchanged.

Post pics if you decide to install them!

good luck trying to remove the tailights :D

i havnet had any success dealer always does my bulbs

:P

A couple of things to look out for with LED bulbs:

The viewable angle is typically much narrower than incandescent bulbs. I would make sure to get them from a place than claims wide angles. The second link (superbrightleds) claims that but not the first.

The polarity is important. I tried installing some cheapo LED bulbs in my Boxster only to find that the bulbs were backward from the car. I could have reversed the wires to fix it which is not a huge deal but it means that the bulbs you buy may not be a simple drop-in replacement.

If you do try them, please post pics.

Thanks Stefan for pointing out polarity and wide angle issues. I ordered a pair of 1157 wide angle ones from http://superbrightleds.com/specs/1157-x24.htm for rear tail light and brake light. I also ordered it in Amber for rear turn signal with the load resistor to replace the rear turn signal. I will post the pics hopefully this weekend if they arrive before the weekend.

If all goes well, I will order another pair for the other side.

I was also thinking about replacing back up light, but I am not sure if it is better to use LEDs in backup light or use something like Xtreme White by PIAA (not sure if they make those in P21W), or install Xenons (HID) with ballasts. Any suggestions?

Anyway, my project is going to be:

Install LEDs in rear fog lamp, rear tail lights, rear brake lights

Install LEDs in rear turn signals

Install LED/XTremeWhite/HID in reverse light

Install Xenon (HID) in front fog lamps

Install Xenon (HID) in cornering lights

Install side marker LEDs and replace amber side markers with clear ones

Hopefully I will be able to get and post pics as well

Thanks

Dan

I'm looking forward to seeing pics. The tail light modifications sound interesting.

The xenon modifications to the fog and cornering lights seem a bit over the top - quite expensive considering the way these lights are used. Also, I think it's nice to have a standard bulb in the fog lamps - I don't think it scatters as much when it is actually foggy.

Let us know how it goes.

Dennis

Thanks Stefan for pointing out polarity and wide angle issues. I ordered a pair of 1157 wide angle ones from http://superbrightleds.com/specs/1157-x24.htm for rear tail light and brake light. I also ordered it in Amber for rear turn signal with the load resistor to replace the rear turn signal. I will post the pics hopefully this weekend if they arrive before the weekend.

I was also thinking about replacing back up light, but I am not sure if it is better to use LEDs in backup light or use something like Xtreme White by PIAA (not sure if they make those in P21W), or install Xenons (HID) with ballasts. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

I too am looking forward to the result.

If you need help removing the rear clusters I will be happy to talk you through it. They are VERY easy to break.

There are some writings on this borad I seem to recall.

Mike

I'm looking forward to seeing pics. The tail light modifications sound interesting.

The xenon modifications to the fog and cornering lights seem a bit over the top - quite expensive considering the way these lights are used. Also, I think it's nice to have a standard bulb in the fog lamps - I don't think it scatters as much when it is actually foggy.

Let us know how it goes.

Dennis

Thanks

Dan

If you need help removing the rear clusters I will be happy to talk you through it. They are VERY easy to break.

Mike

Let us know how it goes.

Dennis

Thanks

Dan

haha mudman how did you break that seal what tool did you use im afraid to dent the rear end :censored:

haha :D

OK this is MY way I know there must be others but here goes.

I use a 9 inch flat bladed screwdriver and a leather glove. (patent pending hahaha)

Once you have the screws out (under the covers on the side when the hatch is open) you can feel it pivot a little

Place the driver from the side of the car towards the middle behind the cluster slightly higher than half way up the side using the leather glove the protect the paint work and as a leverage point. What i did then was to hold the cluster with my hands and lean against the screwdriver.

The most important thing here is to use no force, don't hit the screwdriver with your hip just kinda lean on it with slowly increasing weight, it will pop out. The connector is a ball and socket made of plastic so it stretches then releases. Make sure you hold the cluster or it may drop to the floor

Good luck

Mike

Let us know how it goes.

Dennis

Thanks

Dan

haha mudman how did you break that seal what tool did you use im afraid to dent the rear end :censored:

haha :D

• 5 weeks later...
That is almost certainly because of the polarity, which can be reversed by switching the wires that connect to the bulb socket.

Stefan,

This may be too simple an answer, but did you try rotating the bulb 180 degrees?

Medtech

you mentions you wanted to replace the cornering light to hid and fogs?

I did this mod and it is harder than you think, i eassly did the foglights but you have to add resistance in line so you dont get err dash codes. i used 8000k and matched the headlights with 8000k too. looks great.

now the turning bulbs are the same as they need resistance but hid in there does not heat up to full brightness right away. so they will not be any brighter unless you do donuts a lot. lol. it will also wear out ballast really fast. what im doing is re wiring the turning projectors turn on with fog lights. they still need the resistance but this can be done using wedge bulbs and hiding them in housing ware they wont burn anything. then relay power directly from battery.