Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Nav-TV Bluetooth Adapter for 997

I have just had a "Release Candidate" prototype Bluetooth adapter from NAV-TV installed in my 07 C2S. It connects into the MOST ring just as do the NAV-TV iPod adapter and Sirius satellite radio adapter that I previously had installed. The Bluetooth adapter allows control of a Bluetooth cell phone via the PCM's buttons and knobs, including initiating and answering calls using the "lift handset" button at the upper left of the PCM, hanging up via the "end call" button just to the right of that, dialing calls via the PCM numeric keypad, syncing the cell phone's phonebook such that it is accessible through the PCM, making calls from the synced phonebook, displaying incoming caller information on the PCM screen, muting the radio or CD during calls, etc. Call quality is excellent, as is the sound through the car's main speaker system.

The only flaw I have found with my adapter's software version is that it doesn't sync the cell phone's entire phonebook, just the first 60 or so entries. NAV-TV has just shipped me an updated adapter based on my feedback which should correct this one issue. I have paired both an iPhone and a Blackberry 8700 with the NAV-TV adapter with no other issues than the partial phonebook transfer. When I get the new adapter installed next week, I'll post whether or not it has cured this problem.

NAV-TV tells me the final version of the adapter should be ready for formal release through retail channels within the next month.

I had my Bluetooth adapter, as well as my satellite radio adapter and iPod adapter, installed by Custom Car Stereo in Houston, who did their usual excellent job. The Bluetooth adapter installation took well less than an hour.

I also posted this information at rennlist.com and 6speedonline.com but thought it might be of interest here as well.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could you explain how the device operates with the PCM if it doesn't utilise the telephone module? Is it as i suspect that enabling the PCM for the phone as per the cd changer for the MP3 functionality is required from the dealers?

This could be interesting.

Regards

Popolou

First, thanks for the post. This is the solution for two of three of the upgrades I want to make to my 997.

I just got a 2006 997 without the Phone module and I have been searching for a bluetooth solution (since the dealer wants $1800+installation for the OEM Phone Module - does $2k+ for a cell phone seem rediculous to anyone else?) Anyway, this looks like exactly the solution I am looking for since I have also been looking into a solution for an integrated iPod.

I have 2 questions:

1. Where does the phone mic come from? Does the bluetooth adapter come with one that needs to be installed or does the car already have one wired that doesn't work until you install the Phone Module (or this bluetooth solution)?

2. What Nav-Tv model number do I need?

Thanks in advance.

First, thanks for the post. This is the solution for two of three of the upgrades I want to make to my 997.

I just got a 2006 997 without the Phone module and I have been searching for a bluetooth solution (since the dealer wants $1800+installation for the OEM Phone Module - does $2k+ for a cell phone seem rediculous to anyone else?) Anyway, this looks like exactly the solution I am looking for since I have also been looking into a solution for an integrated iPod.

I have 2 questions:

1. Where does the phone mic come from? Does the bluetooth adapter come with one that needs to be installed or does the car already have one wired that doesn't work until you install the Phone Module (or this bluetooth solution)?

2. What Nav-Tv model number do I need?

Thanks in advance.

1. The Nav-TV kit comes with a microphone. My installer mounted it on the driver's side of the overhead console that houses the reading lights and Homelink buttons. It could be mounted in the steering column under the right hand grill, but my installer said from his experience with installing mics for various other Bluetooth kits that the location he used for me worked more effectively.

2. My prototype is called the "Tooki - P". I understand that Nav-TV plans to have the finished product available for sale late this month (Oct.).

Could you explain how the device operates with the PCM if it doesn't utilise the telephone module? Is it as i suspect that enabling the PCM for the phone as per the cd changer for the MP3 functionality is required from the dealers?

This could be interesting.

Regards

Popolou

Mine worked without having to go to the dealer first to have him "enter" the device into the PCM via his PIWIS. The Nav-TV device emulates the factory GSM module and connects into the PCM via the MOST fiber optic ring in a similar manner to the way the factory CD changer or aftermarket iPod adapters do. There are further descriptions of how it works along with some screen shots in a thread I started over at 6speedonline.

Hi,

How Much.....?

Why does it not use the stnd microphone in the car ??

the Nav-tV site has nothing on this do you have a link (i saw the post on 6speed)

Hi, Nav-TV has not released a retail price yet. There is a blurb on their website saying bluetooth integration is coming soon, but nothing else yet. The screen shots posted in the thread on 6speedonline are about the best info I have seen published.

It probably could use the standard microphone from a non-Bose equipped car, but the Bose system uses the standard microphone to assess ambient noise in the car and then apply compensation to the Bose stereo music output. On cars equipped with Bose and the factory phone option, they use a different microphone which has four wires (two for Bose and two for the factory phone). That would probably work with the Nav-TV Bluetooth module, or alternatively, you could probably put the Nav-TV microphone under the other grill on the steering column (left one as you sit in the car has the factory microphone under it, right one is just a dummy grill). I had mine put where it is on the advice of my installer who said in his experience, it should work better from there.

JFR0317 - I have to tell you that you have been, by far, the most informative resource on this subject out of anyone I have had communications with, including the guys from Nav-TV. I am definately going to get this setup installed the minute it is available. I have been trying to prepare my local installer in advance so I can get an accurate quote for labor. BTW - They are called Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue, WA and were recommended by my Porsche Dealer. So far, they have been great about researching and getting back to me.

Anyway, to the point, am I a little confused and perhaps not understanding you correctly. Based on you last post, it sounds like you're saying that since I have the Premium Bose system I already have a microphone in my car even though I do not have the phone module option? In other words, I will not need to have the mic that comes with the Tooki kit installed and can use the mic for the Bose system?

JFR0317 - I have to tell you that you have been, by far, the most informative resource on this subject out of anyone I have had communications with, including the guys from Nav-TV. I am definately going to get this setup installed the minute it is available. I have been trying to prepare my local installer in advance so I can get an accurate quote for labor. BTW - They are called Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue, WA and were recommended by my Porsche Dealer. So far, they have been great about researching and getting back to me.

Anyway, to the point, am I a little confused and perhaps not understanding you correctly. Based on you last post, it sounds like you're saying that since I have the Premium Bose system I already have a microphone in my car even though I do not have the phone module option? In other words, I will not need to have the mic that comes with the Tooki kit installed and can use the mic for the Bose system?

As I understand it from reading the Porsche TSB for retrofitting the factory phone system, the microphone that comes with the Bose system on cars that do not have the factory phone installed is replaced by a different microphone (Part Number 997.646.307.01) that connects to both the Bose system and to the phone module. Therefore, I do not think you could use your existing microphone since it needs to be connected to the Bose for the ambient noise sensing.

My installer says that you can install an aftermarket microphone under the "dummy" grill on the right top side of the steering column (the factory microphone is under the left grill). However, he says that he has had better luck with outgoing voice quality with putting the microphone on the left side of the overhead console where he put mine. It really isn't very obtrusive there, and it does work very well.

Edited by JFR0317

Hey everyone, i work at La Jolla Audio in san diego california.. and just to let you know... YES, NAV-YV is soon to release this BT kit. i have worked on the 997s quite extensively.. and i have found that for factory PCM, nav-tv has come out with quite a few great integration parts. i expect that once this piece comes out, it will become very popular. if you have any technical questions about this unit, or any other integration units (iPod, back up camera, XM or sirius, video input, or another reliable BT unit) please call us. you can google our number, or go to www.LaJollaAudio.com. we can also do touchscreen navigation :)

And the price per module was $750

I had my installer order the Tooki last week along with the Dension Gateway 500 for my iPod. The Dension aparently does everything the Nav-TV product (OPi-P) does and more. Most importantly to me - it is updatable via a USB memory stick rather that having to replace the hardware. That sold me.

Thanks for including the price you paid for the Tooki because that is what I had to pay too and I thought I might be getting over charged for it. I too will share my experience once it comes in and is installed.

I had my installer order the Tooki last week along with the Dension Gateway 500 for my iPod. The Dension aparently does everything the Nav-TV product (OPi-P) does and more. Most importantly to me - it is updatable via a USB memory stick rather that having to replace the hardware. That sold me.

Had the Dension in another car (a 987S) and it was "ok" for iPod use. I found the user interface clunky, but I have no proof that the Nav-TV would be any different. The bluetooth module to the Dension was crap, though. It treated a call as though it were a CD playing. You had to switch modes to CD changer mode to answer. Very bizarre.

tmc

Got the car back today:

Overall, WOW this works just like having a Tequipment phone module!

However, I wasn't able to pair my HTC Windows Mobile 6 phone. It just hung after I entered the four-digit security code during the BT handshake. I was able to pair both my old Blackberry Perl and my wife's Motorola PEBL. So my guess is that, if you have Moto or Blackberry branded phones, you'll be fine.

I have yet to try my Treo 750, but I'll report back once I do.

tmc

This is very cool. TMC, any chance you can confirm: -

1. SOS button, does it now work?

2. Mail/SMS. This could be restricted due to carrier but if you were using a GSM mobile, can you compile sms messages and send/receive them through the PCM now?

3. Where did you have the unit installed?

Many thanks,

Pop

2. Mail/SMS. This could be restricted due to carrier but if you were using a GSM mobile, can you compile sms messages and send/receive them through the PCM now?

1. SOS works

2. SMS doesn't seem to work, but the documentation says that it works for some phones

3. My dealer, cost $100. But the install is relatively simple: there's a connector that goes to the back of the PCM2 head unit and a fibre optic cable to add to the MOST loop.

1. SOS works

2. SMS doesn't seem to work, but the documentation says that it works for some phones

3. My dealer, cost $100. But the install is relatively simple: there's a connector that goes to the back of the PCM2 head unit and a fibre optic cable to add to the MOST loop.

Lol, i meant where on the car did the installers located the unit? :P

Cheers,

Pop

Had the Dension in another car (a 987S) and it was "ok" for iPod use. I found the user interface clunky, but I have no proof that the Nav-TV would be any different. The bluetooth module to the Dension was crap, though. It treated a call as though it were a CD playing. You had to switch modes to CD changer mode to answer. Very bizarre.

tmc

That's interesting. What type of clunkiness specifically? I still have 10 days until my install date. Is there a specific question I should ask my installer about?

I was originally going to have the Nav-TV unit installed but my installer has installed both and insisted the Dension was the better unit. I made him a list of everything I wanted (like OEM look/feel, Search by artist/track/album, charges the iPod, powers it off, etc) and he says it does it all and more so I went with the Dension. I have seen screenshots online of how the browsing looks and from what i can tell it is just like browsing the CD changer. I think that is about the only feature I'll be using regularly and from what I can tell it doesn't SEEM to be any clunkier than the PCM already is. We'll see.

I also just found this which leads me to believe I made the right choice. USB updates are a huge plus.Nav-TV vs Dension

Edited by 997C2SCab

tmc

That's interesting. What type of clunkiness specifically? I still have 10 days until my install date. Is there a specific question I should ask my installer about?

Let's see if I can remember: it had you hold down the FF (>>) button to select anything. Furthermore, you had several states that were non-obvious. It was annoying in that, whenever it was confused, it would play the first song on your iPod (Aaron Aardvark's Greatest Hits kind of thing).

The bluetooth interface was downright silly, as I said. The TOOKI is far, far better.

There was a long thread on Rennlist about the Dension, I think in the 997 forum (sorry no time to look it up, gotta run).

tmc

Edited by tmc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

JFR0317, Thank you for posting your experience with the TOOKI bt adapter. I had been looking for a well-integrated aftermarket unit, and thanks to your info, I now have satellite radio as well as bt telephone in my car, an '06 C2S Cab. I live in Houston, so I went to Custom Car Stereo as well. Very good service. The units work great, just as advertised, and the look and feel of the system is very much "OEM".

Once again, thanks.

I'm really happy with this thing.

Note to all that it's available from Suncoast

Although I paid someone to install it on my 997, I installed it myself on my wife's Cayenne.

If people are interested, I'll post a DIY. It's a 30 minute job, tops. (Wish I hadn't paid $220 for the 997's install... :eek: )

tmc