Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Nav-TV Bluetooth Adapter for 997

I'm really happy with this thing.

Note to all that it's available from Suncoast

Although I paid someone to install it on my 997, I installed it myself on my wife's Cayenne.

If people are interested, I'll post a DIY. It's a 30 minute job, tops. (Wish I hadn't paid $220 for the 997's install... :eek: )

tmc

I'm always interested in saving money and avoiding the dealers, so post away.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had my Dension and Tooki units installed and some time to get used to them. For the most part they are OK but neither is without it own short-comings. Perhaps there is a way around them or I am missing something since neither come with instruction manual worth the paper they are printed on. If anyone has any advice/tips/comments on what I might try or be doing wrong, please share.

The issues that people should know before installing are as follows:

Dension Gateway 500:

There is no way to take the search path Artist>Album>Song. This is really lame. If you search by artist, you get every song by that artist in the track list. There is no way (that I can find) to get a list only of albums by a particular artist. Since this is how I select music 90% of the time on my iPod, this is a big pain point for me.

The other big pain point is the load time. It takes my unit 30 seconds to load. For example, if you do a "Search by Artist" you get a list of the artist names on your ipod. Once you select one, it starts to play the first track. If you press the next button (>>) at that point it goes to the next artist, not the next song as you would expect. You have to wait 30+ seconds for all of the artist's tracks to load before the next button goes to the next track instead of the next artist. While this may seem minor, when you are driving and trying skip a song you don't like, a 30 second wait is a huge pain. Next time you are channel surfing on your radio while driving, try waiting 30 seconds on a song/station you don't want to listen to. It will seem like forever. The wait time could be different depending on whether you have more or less music on you iPod. I have about 250 albums on mine.

Tooki:

For the most part, the Tooki works very well. It didn't download the phonebook when I paired it with my BlackJack phone but it works with my iPhone and my wife's Razr. The only real issue, and this is a big one, it only grabs one number for a particular contact. This is sooooooo annoying! For example, if I have a home number, work number, and a cell number for a particular contact, the phonebook only gets one of the numbers. This virtually makes the phonebook feature worthless in my opinion. If I can't use the phonebook to locate/dial the number I need, what good is it? Also, you cannot add/edit your contacts via the PCM2 unit but this is not a big deal IMO.

In short, the units DO allow you to listen to an iPod and use a cell phone via the PCM2 but they are in no way integrated in a way that makes them work as if they were OEM. The Tooki unit is close but not all of the way there. The Dension unit in particular is very awkward and unituitive. There is no way someone could just pick it up and figure out how to use it to do what they want without much trial and error and confusion.

997C2SCab,

Afer reading your post above, I went out to the garage and tried the phonebook feature of the TOOKI. My unit downloads all the phone numbers for a contact. The only shortcoming is that there's no indication of which number is home, or cell, or work, etc. I see the contact name, and the phone number itself. One possible way around this is to include the phone number type in the contact name.

997C2SCab,

Afer reading your post above, I went out to the garage and tried the phonebook feature of the TOOKI. My unit downloads all the phone numbers for a contact. The only shortcoming is that there's no indication of which number is home, or cell, or work, etc. I see the contact name, and the phone number itself. One possible way around this is to include the phone number type in the contact name.

It depends on the phone.

Sadly, bluetooth is a physical link-level protocol, not an application-level protocol. There are no standards at the ap level and each manufacturer does it slightly differently. However, I know that Nav-TV is actively working on upgraded firmware. One cool thing is that the firmware is upgradeable via bluetooth. Unlike the dension, you don't have to jank it out or put in a flash stick. Run a program on a bluetooth enabled laptop and badda-bing, badda-boom, you're done.

Ok how to do the install:

First, remove the PCM head unit.

Second, behind the PCM are two connectors, one is (an ISO connector) for the fiber and one is for the radio power, etc.

Nav-TV supplies a male-female wiring harness that is very convenient: you unclip the radio power connector, insert the car end into the Nav-TV harness, and insert the other end back into the PCM.

The fiber is not as hard as it seems. You have to carefully pull a small, blue 'T' out of the connector using a small jewelers screw driver. Once done, you have to then remove one of the two fiber cables. Each is held in with a small clip that, if you pry slightly with aforementioned screwdriver, the cable will simply come out of the connector.

The Nav-TV Tooki is supplied with a fiber connector populated with one cable. The idea is you disconnect the 'out' side (there are arrows on the connectors) of the PCM fiber, attach it to the Nav-TV connector. Before you can attach the fiber to the NAV-TV connector, you need to disassemble it. On the non-business side (ie, the side where the fiber is connected), along the short side, is a clasp. It's hard to see, but it's there. Use a small-blade screwdriver to release the clasp and get to the "inner" cable connector. Once you get to this, you'll see the blue tab. You will need to remove its blue T as well, and then hook the Nav-TV-supplied cable back into the PCM. So what comes out of the PCM is now routed to the Nav-TV Tooki, and then the Tooki routes it back to the car. Be sure to put all of the blue tabs back and reassemble the inner NAV-TV connector into its shell (it slides in and snaps in place).

You're almost done! Hook up the power connector from the NAV-TV's wiring harness to the Nav-TV Tooki control box (easy: just pushes in).

Route the microphone cable. I mounted my microphone on the driver's left side by the top of the A pillar. I used their supplied clip and also routed the cord with an old credit card. Then down and across the top of the pedal area (using wire ties to hold it up) and into the back of the center console area, connected ultimately to the phono jack in the Tooki.

Mounting: I found I could use some double backed tape and mount the Tooki behind the PCM. There is gobs of room back there.

Push it all back in and reverse the procedure to remove the PCM.

Turn on the head unit and you should see 'Tooki searching . . ."

Set your phone to search for bluetooth and pair with the device, its pin for me was 6888

Then it will transfer your address book.

Finally, try making a call! Now you're cooking with gas!

Edited by tmc

997C2SCab,

Well that's interesting. How do you select which number you want for a particular contact? On mine, each contact/name only shows up once. So for example, if I have a work, home, and cell number for Joe Schmoe, I only see one Joe Schmoe entry in the PCM. How do you toggle between the different numbers for the same contact?

I just updated my Tooki with the new firmware via Bluetooth, and it seems to have cured my issue of the PCM sometimes not finding the Tooki when booting up. I am using an iPhone with the Tooki, and I have the problem of only one phone number per contact being transferred and the problem of having more than the 255 contacts that can be transferred. In my case, it transfers the first 255 in alphabetical order, so my workaround was to add separate contacts for my most frequently called numbers (home, wife's cell, etc.) and to assign a name to them such as "A Home" or "A JPRCell" so that they show up at the top of the list in the Tooki phonebook. I also discovered that you can program names with numbers into the PCM address book and have them recognized by the Tooki by first accessing the address book, selecting a name, and then hitting the "lift handset" button at the upper lefthand corner of the PCM.

Voice activation is indeed a very nice feature. I have a Parrot Bluetooth kit in one of my other vehicles, and it works great. Since the Tooki basically tries to emulate the features of the factory phone option, I'm not optimistic about it getting voice dialing anytime soon. However, since I only make calls out to a few numbers when I'm in the 997, lack of voice dialing is not a deal breaker for me. For someone who makes a lot of calls out, it would be a different story.

Actually, the Tooki is built around a Parrot unit too so it could just be down to the firmware sometime in the future.

Pop

Yes, you're right about that, although based on a conversation I had with Nav-TV, it may be pretty tough to do due to the self-imposed limitation of trying to stay with the PCM's factory phone interface screens and buttons. It would be very nice if they can. After all, the Parrot's firmware can be updated from a Bluetooth-enabled laptop, and now so can the Tooki.

Edited by JFR0317

Installed the tooki today. Works like a charm. my address book contains about 60 entries and i had access to all. Signal was clear on both sides of the conversation. Very, very pleased. Use the PCM buttons to dial, the call/haang-up buttons to make and end calls. All intergated and you almost wouldn't know you were using Bluetooth

Add these notes to TMC's install instructions

(ps... there are NO install instructions with the unit)

Carpet piece Torx 27

Leatherette trim panels Torx 20

Locking bolt on passenger side 7mm

The 1/4 turn locking 'bolts' are VERY easy to turn with a 5mm hex wrench. Like 1 ftlb easy, so just give them a light twist. NOTE: the upper one on the drivers side is tough to get to. You kinda do it by feel using a 5mm allen wrench. (the lower dashboard trim is in the way. But I got it done on the first try.

Don't forget the 7mm locking bolt on the pass side.

So what stumped me? It was the fiber connector supplied by Nav-TV. The one fiber cable comes pre-made with a connector on the end to plug into the tooki. You have to insert one of the cables from the car into this connector. Well it's a little different and took me 10 minutes to figure out. Usually the fiber connectors have a small blue pin you pull out. This one is actually a two-piece connector. On one side of the connector is a small piece of plastic. Slip a very small screwdriver in between the main housing and the piece of plastic. That will release the inner 'barrel' so you can insert the fiber cable. Low an behold, there is the little blue "T" pin,

I placed the Tooki directly behind the PCM. There is a narrow gap between the rear-most bracket where it fits perfectly. I'd added some velco to keep it from rattling. Just make sure all the cabling is out of the way. There is just enough room to fit it.

Mic: The mic was placed by the sunroof console. A constant pain for me is running any wire along the upper windshield without it falling down all the time. This time I cut some of those styrofoam peanuts in half and wedged them in; works great.

locking bolts just below the yellow clips

HPIM1855.JPG

Space behind PCM; you can see the mic jack

HPIM1864.JPG

The connector that baffled me. Here is the inner barrel and outer shell

HPIM1865.JPG

And finally, success

HPIM1869.JPG

Installed the tooki today. Works like a charm. my address book contains about 60 entries and i had access to all. Signal was clear on both sides of the conversation. Very, very pleased. Use the PCM buttons to dial, the call/haang-up buttons to make and end calls. All intergated and you almost wouldn't know you were using Bluetooth

Do you have any photos of the tooki unit itself and what power supply did you wire it to, switched or constant supply ?

Edited by Nick_USA

tooki pic. Ha! that's the one thing I forgot to take a pic of. It's a plastic box about 3X7X1.

Wiring couldn't be simpler. They supply a power harness that has connectors that match the PCM. Disconnect the plug from the PCM, plug that end into the matching tooki female connector and then plug the other end of the harness into the PCM. Some wires come off the harness and then that plug goes into the tooki/ no cutting, no splicing, no soldering,

Here some shots of the screens showing the cell carrier and signal strength. sorry for the poor quality of the pics...

(ps... the MOST loop was fine with the tooki. I also have the Dennison GW500/ipod and Porsche Nav in the loop with the tooki)

Main screen

screen%20main.JPG

Pushing the Tel putton gets this screen

screen%20tele.JPG

Here some shots of the screens showing the cell carrier and signal strength. sorry for the poor quality of the pics...

(ps... the MOST loop was fine with the tooki. I also have the Dennison GW500/ipod and Porsche Nav in the loop with the tooki)

Main screen

screen%20main.JPG

Pushing the Tel putton gets this screen

screen%20tele.JPG

If you press MAIN and TRIP together at the same time what does it show?

(From the next page) Also if you then scroll down to the Telephone module and press the right hand knb what does it then show?

Have you also thought about putting the mic in the steering column where the grill for the stock mic goes?

Edited by Nick_USA

How is the Mic that comes with the unit? Can people hear you over the road/engine noise?

The microphone that comes with the Tooki seems to work very well for me, according to feedback from people I've called from the car. Of course, I have a coupe.

On the advice of my installer, my mic is mounted near the center of the car just to the left of the Homelink panel above the inside rearview mirror.

How is the Mic that comes with the unit? Can people hear you over the road/engine noise?

The microphone that comes with the Tooki seems to work very well for me, according to feedback from people I've called from the car. Of course, I have a coupe.

On the advice of my installer, my mic is mounted near the center of the car just to the left of the Homelink panel above the inside rearview mirror.

I assume it would also work in the 'stock' position. It's just a pain perhaps to remove the plastic trim around the steering wheel.

I assume it would also work in the 'stock' position. It's just a pain perhaps to remove the plastic trim around the steering wheel.

It will work in the stock position, but if you have a Bose sound system, it has a mic there to pick up the ambient noise level so that it will know how much to compensate for in the volume level. With the factory phone option, the regular Bose mic is replaced with one with two sets of leads, one set for the Bose and one for the phone. It seems like you could put the Tooki mic under the corresponding "dummy" opening on the top of the steering column, but as you said, that would be something of a chore.

here are a couple more install pics...

after you remove the carpet piece, remove the two torx bolts holding the leathette side pieces. Pull up and straight up and out. A good firm tug will do it.

leather1.JPG

this shot shows the round hex nuts that secure the pcm to the frame

HPIM1860.JPG

tooki wiring harness: remove pcm plug from unit, plug that into the female tooki plug and then plug the other end of the harness in the pcm. the purple and red wires go to the tooki

harness.JPG

back showing orange fiber cables. the plug has a push type locking clip on the drivers side.

back.JPG

Just did the install last night. Tooki and Mobrige took a total of 20 minutes to install . The other hour was spent on finding a good location and re installing all the panels. So far i like the tooki and the mobridge. I'll give more feed back a i work with the two more.

Edited by scuzy