Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster 986 vibration @ 3000/3200 rpm (fix?)

I have a 2001 Boxster with the same symptoms as stated in the earlier posts. My vibration starts on acceleration around 3000-3200 in any gear and quickly goes away after the engine is out of this range. The vibration cannot be felt in the shifter or clutch pedal. It is very brief and can be felt through the seat, while accelerating during normal driving. When accelerating hard, the vibration is rarely felt (I suspect because the range passes by quickly). Deceleration is very different with the vibration much more pronounced in the exact same rpm range, and quickly goes away, starting around 3200 and gone under 3000 rpm, with any gear, although seems more pronounced in the lower gears. Some things to add. I have a new front motor mount. Also,the vibration cannot be felt with the vehicle stationary or rolling, with the transmission out of gear, clutch in or out with running the engine in the 3000-3200 rpm range. The vehicle has to be in an acceleration or deceleration (driving) situation in gear with the vibration to occur. I feel if I had a flywheel/clutch imbalance problem the vibration would be felt when the vehicle is stationary and reved to 3000-3200 rpm, it definitely doesn't happen then. I am now suspecting the rear/transmission motor mounts. I'm curious if anyone has replace theirs because of this vibration. Also to add, I haven't heard of anyone with a 996 with this problem, the dual mass flywheel/clutch is the same configuration, my thoughts are the difference of how the engine transmission assemblies are suspended comparing the Boxster and 996, maybe it doesn't occur in the 996. I would appreciate any thoughts to add to this. Thanks.

After doing lots of studying and measuring and experimenting on this subject, I finally came to a conclusion and a VERY SIMPLE remedy that I have tried on my 2001 Boxster that has worked very well to remove the vibrations as I described in my earlier post. My remedy may or may not work on your vehicle, according to the vibrations you may have. Let me say first, at 3000-3200 rpm these vibrations will be dominant over other engine speed vibrations if you have faulty mounts, including rear (transmission) mounts. First make sure your front engine (motor) mount is in good condition and with no rubber broken or missing. Also, to try this your Boxster will need to have the muffler support as mentioned in the earlier posts. (the one that attaches to the 8mm studs on the back side of the muffler and to the support on the rear of the transmission) My procedure is this: Park your Boxster on a solid level surface and find a good measuring reference point on your muffler (I used the forward edge of the outlet pipe) to use a locking measuring tape to measure the distance from the muffler to the floor, bring the locking measuring tape to the point and lock it to use for reference later. Next, loosen the fasteners (13mm nuts) on the ENDS of the muffler support on the muffler. Next, remove the jack from the luggage compartment, leave the jack crank intact, it is not needed, place the jack under the center of the muffler, in front of the outlet, I would suggest using a small piece of scrap plywood or lumber to place between the jack and muffer, turn BY HAND the jack up to the muffler until it is contacting the muffler and then raise the muffler NO MORE than 13mm or 1/2 inch, and with the jack supporting the muffler, tighten the support mount fasteners (the ones loosened earlier) on the muffler, suggested torque, 18ftlbs. Then lower and remove the jack and place the locked measuring tape at the reference point to see if the muffler has been raised by a few milimeters. I have found an adjustment of three/five milimeters makes a big difference in the vibrations. I have also found on my first experimental adjustment, the vibration was removed as I was driving going UP through to the 3000-3200 rpm range, but I still had a vibration on deceleration. After adjusting the muffler higher (app. 3mm) the deceleration vibrations were gone also. Hope this may help those that have had this problem. Thanks, David

Added 11/23/07

As a "quick check" to see if this may remove or help your vibrations before making adjustments. Start your engine and slowy rev to 3000/3200 rpm and hold it there to make a mental note of any vibrations felt. Then place the jack as stated above and slightly place pressure on the center section of the muffler, restart your engine and rev to 3000/3200 rpm as a check to see if a difference can be felt, if not, increase the jack pressure, don't exceed 1/2 inch. (another option is to have someone crank the jack BY HAND while you're inside holding the engine speed to 3000/3200 to sense the difference) Chances are, you will feel a difference with very little pressure added. EVEN IF THERE ARE NO DIFFERENCES in the vibration, I would suggest loosening the support and adjusting as I mentioned earlier, as a resort before giving up. David

Edited by david44tn
  • Upvote 1

If this works im forever thankful!

I have been thinking of a lightweight flywheel as a next step on my way to a vibration free car but this is a little bit cheaper.

I also had some thoughts of hanging the muffler in the bottom of the car and use a flexible hose at the inlet to see if there where any difference.

When I changed to a "S" muffler I noticed that the vibrations immideatly increased in amplitude so it must be something in that area.

Did you think of readjust the inlet pipes after the correction also or is it unnecessary work?

If this works im forever thankful!

I have been thinking of a lightweight flywheel as a next step on my way to a vibration free car but this is a little bit cheaper.

I also had some thoughts of hanging the muffler in the bottom of the car and use a flexible hose at the inlet to see if there where any difference.

When I changed to a "S" muffler I noticed that the vibrations immideatly increased in amplitude so it must be something in that area.

Did you think of readjust the inlet pipes after the correction also or is it unnecessary work?

At this point I'm not sure if adjusting the inlet pipes is necessary, although you may try doing that after adjusting your muffler. After adjusting the muffler, loosening and then tightening both the clamps on both of the inlet pipes would let the pipes "self adjust" to the different position.

• 1 month later...

Did you ever figure out exactly what was wrong? Im having the same problem with vibration only during decelleration but was worried it could be an internal problem. I drive my 01 S very hard so Im curious if this is something that will cost serious $$$$$ to fix.

Did you ever figure out exactly what was wrong? Im having the same problem with vibration only during decelleration but was worried it could be an internal problem. I drive my 01 S very hard so Im curious if this is something that will cost serious $$$$$ to fix.

My car (2000 S) has an increased metallic clatter only at 3000-3200 rpm (not a vibration but because it is exactly the same rpm these may be related). When the engine cover is on, it is barely perceptable. When the cover is off the noise at 3000-3200rpm is very loud. I asked the dealer about this and they say it is normal because you have a long chain in there and 3000-3200 is when the cam changes over. This makes sense to me but when I first heard that with the cover off I thought something was wrong. The noise is somewhat less now that I switched to 5W40 redline but it is still there. So for those trying to chase down noises and vibrations in this rpm range this noise/clatter is something to consider.

The fact that yours shows up only on deceleration makes one think it is an exhaust related problem.? I only say this because I have had exhaust rattles on other cars do this on deceleration. Don't know why really, maybe the combo of back pressure from decelerating (what I mean is for example think of the pressure that builds when a car backfires out the exhaust) and the right rpms make it rattle. Just a wild guess.

Edited by saaber

I'm pretty sure the vibration on deceleration is due to the dual mass flywheel. I have had 3 boxsters, they all have done it. On my car I replaced the DMF with a LWF, everything else remained the same and the vibration is gone. I have never driven a new boxster so maybe it is deterioration of the dual mass unit with age, but my opinion is that it is definitely is a flywheel/clutch imbalance problem.

Todd

I'm pretty sure the vibration on deceleration is due to the dual mass flywheel. I have had 3 boxsters, they all have done it. On my car I replaced the DMF with a LWF, everything else remained the same and the vibration is gone. I have never driven a new boxster so maybe it is deterioration of the dual mass unit with age, but my opinion is that it is definitely is a flywheel/clutch imbalance problem.

Todd

Good Afternoon.

I own a 2003 Boxster 2.7 five speed with precisely the same vibration, except mine is only after the engine is hot. Daily driver, do not drive it hard. Silky smooth when cold. Used to be only during acceleration and deceleration thru this rpm range, but is all the time in all gears while at 3100-3200 rpm now, a little less above that. Have 53k miles on it. Started within a year of new. Had the transmission replaced due to the "pinion gear being chewed up" within 2 years, without any symptoms. Had it in to have this vibration looked into. The problem was the same afterwards. Last year this time had a motor mount replaced, had no affect. Porsche stated last year and last week this is normal. So even if there is something wrong, Porsche isn't telling it. I would still like to think some of you folks that live and breathe this stuff have an answer. I'd be pleased to know if the muffler raising is continuing to be satisfactory in keeping the vibration away. Had an independent tech say that the engine expands quite a lot, 7mm or so. Certainly would bind the components to some extent. I don't care whether it is normal or not, I just want the vibration gone.

octantman

Bought this 2005 w/ 45K miles Boxter 2.7L from a friend. They had the clutch, pressure plate, fork, throw out bearing replaced about 150 miles before I got the car. While it was done by the friend's master mechanic (instead of dealer), I have been pleased by the job as it feels fine...nothing wrong for the 400 miles I have put on it so far. Well, I guess I didnt notice the 3200 vibe thing before I bought it, probably because of quick acceleration testing :-), but am now pretty bummed about this happening every time I am cruising along in this sweet spot of 3-3.2KRPM...

Brought it to the porsche dealer so they could do a 1.5 hr ($180) checkout, and mentioned this vibration. The guy who signed me in and took my keys seems to know about it, and said it was normal and related to the cam...something about a spot where acceleration/decceleration "decision" is made. I just kinda frowned... When I got the car back, they had relpaced the air filters, but nary a word was written about checking/debugging a vibration problem. When I got back to work, found this forum info and forwared it to this guy at the service desk. Told him to ask his techies and get back to me. Nothing in more than a week now. Hmmmm....something smells here.....

Anyway, just letting people know I too suffer from this, and when I get time, will defintely be trying the exhaust adjustment ! The other thing, the flywheel, is not something I wanted to hear. Makes me thing of the recent Boxster article (Nov 2007) in R&T or C&D (forget) where some porsche dealer service manager was suggesting any clutch job replace the flywheel too - perhaps he was thinking of this problem !!!

Well, has there been anyone else who has had success with the exhaust adjustment ? Please ? :-/

...said it was normal and related to the cam...something about a spot where acceleration/decceleration "decision" is made.

Makes me thing of the recent Boxster article (Nov 2007) in R&T or C&D (forget) where some porsche dealer service manager was suggesting any clutch job replace the flywheel too - perhaps he was thinking of this problem !!!

That is the cam changeover point (according to Porsche tech) and was what I was talking about in the above post. I thought the changeover point was at higher rpms until I heard that from him. Maybe I will look into it more.

On the flywheel subject, my dealer said this also that it is almost automatic to change the flywheel. Indy shop said only change it if needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Before finally adjusting the muffler support, I also suspected a problem with the dual mass flywheel. What suggested the flywheel has no effect on this was after reading posts from others with this symptom replacing their flywheels and sometimes having no change in the problem. Also, with a flywheel imbalance I suspect the vibration would be felt without the vehicle in motion, my Boxster had no pronounced vibration when setting still with the engine accelerated to 3000-3200. Although I am sure replacing DMFs have repaired some vibrations. What I have found is this symptom is usually only on early 2.7 engines, 2000 and 2001 models. Since I first replied to this post with a "possible" fix, I have since replaced my transmisson (motor mounts) with new oem parts. I did notice upon replacing the transmission mounts, the height of my exhaust system at the muffler was raised by about 10mm. On my Boxster, after the muffler support adjustment, the vibration on accel and decel were minimized, to the point of being very hard to notice. After replacing the transmission/engine mounts, the vibration is 100% completely gone on acceleration. The new mounts did not change the minute vibration on decel. I really do not think the transition in cams in the variocam system has anything to do with this, if it were so, Boxsters of all model years would have this symptom. At this point I beginning to think what is felt is the exhaust system vibrating, with the muffler vibrating longitudially from the harmonics at these peticular rpms. Because adjusting the muffler support is actually only adding tension to the muffler at it's ends and causing a reduction in the vibration, My next idea is to replace the muffler "mounts" on top of the muffler at each end of the support to remove what is left of the vibration on decel.

David

• 1 month later...
The guy who signed me in and took my keys seems to know about it, and said it was normal and related to the cam...something about a spot where acceleration/decceleration "decision" is made.

That's bull. If that were the case, it would have the vibration from day one. Our 2000 Boxster didn't have any such vibration until 2006. I really think it's the dual mass flywheel. Something I hope to change in the near future, but I can't seem to find a lightweight flywheel for the 2000, 2.7L Boxster. The only ones I can find are for the 2.5L snd 3.2L engines.

• 1 year later...

Before finally adjusting the muffler support, I also suspected a problem with the dual mass flywheel. What suggested the flywheel has no effect on this was after reading posts from others with this symptom replacing their flywheels and sometimes having no change in the problem. Also, with a flywheel imbalance I suspect the vibration would be felt without the vehicle in motion, my Boxster had no pronounced vibration when setting still with the engine accelerated to 3000-3200. Although I am sure replacing DMFs have repaired some vibrations. What I have found is this symptom is usually only on early 2.7 engines, 2000 and 2001 models. Since I first replied to this post with a "possible" fix, I have since replaced my transmisson (motor mounts) with new oem parts. I did notice upon replacing the transmission mounts, the height of my exhaust system at the muffler was raised by about 10mm. On my Boxster, after the muffler support adjustment, the vibration on accel and decel were minimized, to the point of being very hard to notice. After replacing the transmission/engine mounts, the vibration is 100% completely gone on acceleration. The new mounts did not change the minute vibration on decel. I really do not think the transition in cams in the variocam system has anything to do with this, if it were so, Boxsters of all model years would have this symptom. At this point I beginning to think what is felt is the exhaust system vibrating, with the muffler vibrating longitudially from the harmonics at these peticular rpms. Because adjusting the muffler support is actually only adding tension to the muffler at it's ends and causing a reduction in the vibration, My next idea is to replace the muffler "mounts" on top of the muffler at each end of the support to remove what is left of the vibration on decel.

David

Hey, David.

This is octantman. I posted the same problem you seem to have been close to fixing, that of the vibration at 3000 to 3200 rpm. I have off and on tried to reason a solution. I cleaned my MAF as a part of replacing my air oil separator a while back and the vibration went away completely, for about a week. Cleaned several more times with temporary results. Replaced it with same temporary results.

Today I took the heel of my hand and pounded on the the cat, and that same low frequency vibration was there. So my request is that if I were to take this to an independent shop and get them to raise the system, or otherwise induce tension into the system or brace it, can you help a little bit more? There are too many bolts in the area you describe for me to know which ones are the ones you are referring to. The muffler is hung from the top but the two bolts attached to the bracket on the bottom forward part of the muffler are not attached to anthing. The mounting bracket is different in later models. I have the Bentley manual and there is a nice drawing of my system.

Suggestions? I still just want the vibration gone.

Thanks,

Alan.

This worked for me 100%.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

and

thank you!

Good Morning.

So can you tell me which set of bolts you loosened and tightened ? My muffler is supported from 2 bolts on top of the muffler, and by the exhaust pipes themselves. The 2 bolts on the bottom of the muffler are not attached to anything. Of course the components are bolted together at several locations.

Alan

• 3 years later...

OK, I have an '04 Boxster which I had my mechanic do the IMS bearing update + a new clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing & rear main seal back at the end of this August 2013. At the time of the service, I had absolutely no issues whatsoever with the car, nada, zero issues. I put about 3,000 miles on since that update and yesterday, I noticed upon exiting Interstate 80 on an exit ramp, cranking along at say 60-65, downshifting, my rpm's when in the 3,000 to 3,500 +/- a few rpm's, I have this odd resonating sound, vibration, rumbling of sorts, while de-accelerating. I was not able to duplicate it to the extreme of it's initial introduction, but I was able to hear and feel it close to 80% of it's original, so I went back to the mechanic, informed him, and the very 1st thing he said was, "You know there is a IMS recall....blah, blah....", to which I replied, "I know, you did mine about 2 months ago!" He looked bewildered, suggested it might be the cat converter, and I made an appointment for next Thursday (I'll post to keep all informed).

I guess my question is, if I had no issues prior, and do now after the IMS service, possibly the exhaust system wasn't correctly reinstalled? Or, should I be considering other items that are just the joys of owning a Boxster?

• Moderators

OK, I have an '04 Boxster which I had my mechanic do the IMS bearing update + a new clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing & rear main seal back at the end of this August 2013. At the time of the service, I had absolutely no issues whatsoever with the car, nada, zero issues. I put about 3,000 miles on since that update and yesterday, I noticed upon exiting Interstate 80 on an exit ramp, cranking along at say 60-65, downshifting, my rpm's when in the 3,000 to 3,500 +/- a few rpm's, I have this odd resonating sound, vibration, rumbling of sorts, while de-accelerating. I was not able to duplicate it to the extreme of it's initial introduction, but I was able to hear and feel it close to 80% of it's original, so I went back to the mechanic, informed him, and the very 1st thing he said was, "You know there is a IMS recall....blah, blah....", to which I replied, "I know, you did mine about 2 months ago!" He looked bewildered, suggested it might be the cat converter, and I made an appointment for next Thursday (I'll post to keep all informed).

I guess my question is, if I had no issues prior, and do now after the IMS service, possibly the exhaust system wasn't correctly reinstalled? Or, should I be considering other items that are just the joys of owning a Boxster?

It is a reasonably safe bet that if the IMS was improperly installed, the car would not have made it very far. I'd start looking at drive line parts; checking axel bolts, CV joints, etc. before becoming concerned that the engine is coming apart.............

• 1 month later...

I am approaching day 53 of this car being at the garage, and I am concerned as to how to move forward. I will need to make a decision this week.

The garage states he has done the items as I previously referenced, (and now after new motor mounts, transmission mounts, new flywheel, checking oil pressures, valve timings, etc., etc.....no change), however, I’ll need to pay him for all of this stuff he has done and pick up the car, bring it to another mechanic (????) and have them review all of the items at what anticipated ballpark cost? And one would assume to tear apart the car again for the umteenth time to look, see, etc., to assist in diagnosing and hopefully resolving the problem.

Reviewing a Google search, I find numerous discussions about this very vibration problem and all sorts of possible “solutions”, but none specific to any 1 solution (all solutions are different and not 1 specific item is the resolve)….and the mechanic has done just about every item listed in all of the forums/postings).

I know that this is a very sticky situation for any 3rd party to get involved in and that there is no guarantee a 3rd party can even solve the issue other than concur the problem exists and generate more labor bills….and I do understand that this is most likely my only option remaining, but I might ask first before I do pull the ripcord…where do I draw the line? I understand that most likely another mechanic would need to disassemble the rear of the car again (ugggh!, how many time can it be taken apart and put back together again and again and again) to dig deep to find any contributing factors, but do I budget another $1,000, $2,000, $3,000 or just sell the car? (in other words; when does one reach the point of no return where it is no longer worth the investment). I'm approaching $5,000 now!!!

Finally, on the advice of my attorney, he states that any 3rd party would become the “expert witness” (if needed) as to the identification of the problem and and potential resolution of the problem, and is that something that a 3rd party would be comfortable with? I really don’t want to create any conflict with anyone, all I want is the car to be the way it has been for the several years I have had it prior to the IMS work (just a quick recap: I took my Boxster to my mechanic for an oil change and he alerted me to the IMS issue, which I was aware of..and did not have any sign of having the problem…., and I chose to have him do the work to be pro-active thinking it would be less costly to do the entire job with all the extras rather than be on pins and needles worrying if I would become a statistic of IMS failure).

So, after reading all of the postings about the “3000-3200 RPM Boxster vibration” ( https://www.google.com/search?q=3000-3200+RPM+Boxster+vibration&oq=3000-3200+RPM+Boxster+vibration&aqs=chrome..69i57.437006j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8 ) has anyone maybe having previously diagnosed similar issue and had it resolved?

I know it’s a lot of questions, but like I said, I need to do something, I may have possibly made a bad decision entrusting this other shop to do the work, and now at an additional expense I’ll need to bring it to another mechanic.

What to do, sell it, pay for more diagnosing, live with it?

Key point is: It never existed before the IMS work.

I think it falls under -- what have you touched lately.

IMS means:

removed rear bumper, removed exhaust, removed tranny (and CV axles), removed the clutch assembly, performed the IMS (and probably RMS),

assembly was the reverse of removal. depending on how things were left for how long -- some of the motor mounts may have been stressed as well.

assuming nothing internal to the engine was affected -- you're probably looking at something related to the removal and re-assembly of the above.

Mike

Edited by txhokie4life

• 3 weeks later...
So, I posted on another forum without replies, so excuse me if it appears I am double posting, as it is quite some time since the original post, without much to ponder.

Here we go:

I am approaching day 63 (as of 1/23/14) of this car being at the garage, and I am concerned as to how to move forward. I will need to make a decision this soon.
The garage states he has done the items as I previously referenced, (and now after new motor mounts, transmission mounts, new flywheel, checking oil pressures, valve timings, etc., etc.....no change), however, I'll obviously need to pay him for all of this stuff he has done and pick up the car, bring it to another mechanic and have them review all of the items at what anticipated ballpark cost? And one would assume to tear apart the car again for the umteenth time to look, see, etc., to assist in diagnosing and hopefully resolving the problem.

Reviewing a Google search, I find numerous discussions about this very vibration problem and all sorts of possible "solutions", but none specific to any 1 specific solution (all solutions are different and not 1 specific item is the resolve) and the mechanic has done just about every item listed in all of the forums/postings.

I know that this is a very sticky situation for any 3rd party to get involved in and that there is no guarantee a 3rd party can even solve the issue other than concur the problem exists and generate more labor bills?.and I do understand that this is most likely my only option remaining, but I might ask first before I do pull the ripcord?where do I draw the line? I understand that most likely another mechanic would need to disassemble the rear of the car again (ugggh!, how many time can it be taken apart and put back together again and again and again) to dig deep to find any contributing factors, but do I budget another $1,000, $2,000, $3,000 or just sell the car? (in other words; when does one reach the point of no return where it is no longer worth the investment). I'm approaching $5,000 invested as of now since the IMS project!!!

Finally, on the advice of my attorney, he states that any 3rd party would become the "expert witness" (if needed) as to the identification of the problem and and potential resolution of the problem, and is that something that a 3rd party would be comfortable with? I really don't want to create any conflict with anyone, all I want is the car to be the way it has been for the several years I have had it prior to the IMS work (just a quick recap: I took my Boxster to my mechanic for an oil change and he alerted me to the IMS issue, which I was aware of..and did not have any sign of having the problem, and I chose to have him do the work to be pro-active thinking it would be less costly to do the entire job with all the extras rather than be on pins and needles worrying if I would become a statistic of an IMS failure).

So, after reading all of the postings about the ?3000-3200 RPM Boxster vibration? ( https://www.google.com/search?q=3000-3200+RPM+Boxster+vibration&oq=3000-3200+RPM+Boxster+vibration&aqs=chrome..69i57.437006j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8 ) has anyone maybe having previously diagnosed similar issue and had it resolved?
I know it?s a lot of questions, but like I said, I need to do something, I may have possibly made a bad decision entrusting this other shop to do the work, and now at an additional expense I?ll need to bring it to another mechanic.
What to do, sell it, pay for more diagnosing, live with it?
Key point is: It never existed before the IMS work.
post_old.gif 01-23-2014, 06:27 PM report.gif icon14.gifRecommend this thread for the PelicanWiki edit.gif quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif #14 (permalink)

Are these Boxster parts?
Oh boy.
I figured I'd take a ride (35+ miles to garage) to check on my baby.
BIG surprise.
I pulled in, did not see car (I was told in early December by the owner after informing him my car doesn't see the weather, is always garaged, and I had concerns about it remaining in a tight parking lot awaiting his next attempted fix)...so he had pulled it into an under the shop storage garage of sorts, never really saw it inside, just the outside doors under the back of the shop.....to appease me I'd think.
I initially went to drop off a new Insurance ID card as the old one was expiring and also figured I'd check in and see what was happening.
He told me he got the new clutch (last conversation the week before, after all the other stuff he has done which did not resolve the problem, so he said, "oh, I didn't know that this vibration issue didn't occur before the IMS work we did", and suggested he thought maybe it was a bad clutch.), and I said good luck, touch base next week, hope that fixes the problem.
On my way out the front door, I saw a buch up Porsche parts laying on the pavement in the parking area (picture attached), and a pickup truck with a boom crane on the back was delivering a junkyard Porsche motor. My heart sank. I thought the worst, but dismissed all negative feelings and went to lunch with my wife. It couldn't be my parts laying on the ground, could it? The motor being delivered couldn't be for my car, could it?
Needless to say, this gut wrenching feeling in my stomach said to go back after lunch and ask questions.
I did.
As I pulled in, the owner was in the front of the shop sweeping ice and water from the pavement. He glanced up to look as I pulled in, recognized it was me, and as I pulled in the back of the shop I parked my car and went up the rear entrance and entered the front of the shop. The owner was nowhere in sight. An employee came by me in a minute or 2 and asked if he could help me. I said yes, I was there to see Dave. He said who are you. I said Bob. About 1-2 minutes later the owner came out of the back of the shop (which is the entrance to the 2 bay garage) with a look on his face like I just caught him with his hand in the cookie jar. He looked like a scared cat. I asked what he thought the timetable for the car was, as it was going on 70+ days there. He walked into the back, pointed to the floor and said, "see, here's your clutch". I looked around, that motor was being worked on (the junkyard motor), and I heard a whirring of either a grinder or a wire brush on a pneumatic tool. As I looked at that Dave rushed me out of the shop and into the front office where I said "what do you think the timetable is and what's the story if this clutch doesn't fix the problem?"
He looked like he wanted to cry. He was all red in the face, mumbled something about the EPA and the DEP on his case, employee problems, problems with his daughter, family issues, being there since 5 AM, having work being backed up, trying to get away for vacation and that he can't tell me anything because he is obviously having issues (all blurted out in less than 15 seconds).
I asked about the Porsche parts on the ground and the junkyard motor, he said he had a Porsche with a blown motor that he was working on. Funny though, I re-evaluated the property before I left, not a single Porsche of ANY KIND on the property or on the lifts other than mine in the bay downstairs......uh oh? That was like a knife in my stomach.
I left, I tried to think that it could all be my wild imagination and not really anything to do with me.....but how, why?
So, do I have it flat bedded immediately out of there to another shop? Do I go back with a witness? Do I go back with an attorney? Do I go back with a police officer? Do I forget about it all and wait more, longer and longer (going on over 70 days already)....
And, like I had said previously, this shop has an impeccable reputation, Zero complaints, nothing but Bentleys, Porsches, Lotuses, Lambos', Rolls, every high end car for years at the place, with nothing but the highest reputation...hence my choosing them to begin with.
I'm probably venting and might be too concerned, but the facts are the facts and what would one expect as a reasonable time to have a repair done, corrected,e tc., or is there more going on that maybe I don't know about?
It's like a bad dream.
Given the situation, I really don't know if I can ever have the level of confidence in the car after the motor has been removed multiple time with all of this work as stated in my previous posts, and feel comfortable that the car is reliable, correct, etc., or that I'm worse off than if I never had any work done to begin with.....(remember, I went in for an oil change and pro-actively chose to do the IMS bearing to be even more secure in the fact that if anything was wrong, needed to be done, etc., it would be addressed by doing that work as suggested), and now, here I am, close to $5,000 in the hole, not a clue as if any of my parts are replaced or swapped out with a junkyard motor, and all the items removed are laying in the ice and snow......
Thoughts?
(oh, and the reason the owner stated last week that he didn't know that my vibration issue was non-existent prior to him doing any work was most likely because he read these posts here, as I'm of the belief that he purchases parts from Pelican...I think, however, the mechanic who worked on the car and test drove it with me to verify the problem was well aware in our conversation that the problem was non-existent prior to any work).

I just want my car back, fixed, and the way it should be...

post-70498-0-92889000-1391402905_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Been dealing with my 2800-3000 vibration for over 10 years now (2000 Boxster). It stopped briefly after the new Porsche engine in 2005. I just replaced the trans and motor mounts along with new Fabspeed exhaust and the vibrations are gone!!! Finally! The engine mount was totally ripped too...thing is back in 2005 the dealer said it was ok, BUT you can only verify via disassembly of the mount (the plastic side covers prevent a visual inspection of the actual rubber mount).

Another observation: there is a TREMENDOUS amount of vibration especially upon deceleration with the Boxster. This is evident by watching the Fabspeed intermediate flex-pipes while revving the engine...I do suspect the exhaust as the culprit too...and I DO still have a tiny bit now at 1200 rpm with the Fabsped exhaust too as the intermediate pipe on the drivers side is very close to the rear sway bar.

Chris

Sorry if I seemed to abandon this post, I actually had it at http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/766056-2004-boxster-ims-clutch-cost.html

Bottom line, 1st garage refunded $1800 for work that did nothing after being in shop for over 90 days.

2nd shop fixed problem within 1 week, new flywheel and missing exhaust bracket installed, and I just did a 800 mile road trip last week, 100% flawless zero issues.

Don't want to clog this post, jump over to other link if interested to read about it all.

A final note, sure is depressing that when you pick up car from being serviced, you have to go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for anything that might have happened while at the shop. Anything. Dings, dents, scratches, anything. And boy did I find a few things. I sure hope that some day we can hide multiple cover cameras everywhere to prove things. Nobody cares. They say they do, they all profess to, but stuff happens, and you gotta keep looking to prove things. Life.