Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSE - Valve Position

Hi there

I just bought myself some a set of used PSE mufflers for my 98 996. Haven't installed it yet (going to put it on without vacuum/electronics at first and see how I go) but have noticed that the valves seem to be in different positions on the two mufflers, with one looking open and the other closed. Doesn't seem possible to move them manually.

So I have a couple of questions. Are the valves meant to be held open with a spring? i.e. should both be sitting in an open postion at the moment before I have installed them, or is it normal that the valves will be sitting in the position that they were when last used and will the closed one should be blown back into the open position by the exhaust flow as soon as I install it and start the car? Am worried that the closed one may be seized closed. Is there meant to be a spring or something to move it back open on its own? Should the lever arms move freely enough that I can manually move the valve closed again, or is it normal that these are tight enough that they can only be moved via the vacuum? Without getting too violent with them, they don't seem to want to move!

Also, if I decide to install the vacuum/electronics at some point down the track, are the parts required available in a kit from Porsche? Am confident from looking through the guides etc. that I could easily do it myself, but not sure where best to get the bits and pieces.

Finally, the mufflers have the Eisenmann badge but I can't easily see a manufacture date or part number (there is one on the bracket but not on the exhaust that I can see). Is this normal? Based on the pictures I have seen on the various posts I am pretty sure it is a 3.6L version (i.e. no small pipe - only a large bypass pipe with the valve inside) but was curious as to why there is no part number. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough though!

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Keggers

Ahhhhh.

Just WD40'd it and tried to move it the lever with a spanner and had success with it moving no problem, only to then discover a minute later that the lever that comes out of that is driven by the vacuum has snapped off the valve arm (I assume its some sort of very small ball joint?).

I'm sure there is no easy way to fix this either!

Attached a picture which is bad quality but at least show what I have done.

I guess it shouldn't matter to me for now as I don't intend to try to wire up a switch or anything for the moment anyway so would have been leaving the valve open anyway, but am very peeved with myself!

post-19520-1196870610_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keggers

• 2 weeks later...
Ahhhhh.

Just WD40'd it and tried to move it the lever with a spanner and had success with it moving no problem, only to then discover a minute later that the lever that comes out of that is driven by the vacuum has snapped off the valve arm (I assume its some sort of very small ball joint?).

I'm sure there is no easy way to fix this either!

Attached a picture which is bad quality but at least show what I have done.

I guess it shouldn't matter to me for now as I don't intend to try to wire up a switch or anything for the moment anyway so would have been leaving the valve open anyway, but am very peeved with myself!

If you are handy with a drill, High Carbon Bits, and Grade 8 machine bolts then use a "little" JB Weld to freeze the ball, then with cutting oil slowly drill it and tap it. then drill out the base (or drill and tap it) and use the bolt, lock washer, and a nut to form your new ball joint. If you are into looks then when you are done you can use a little JB Weld to re-enforce the bolt and even grind it down to look like to the original. But when all is said and done with just use good channel locks to break the JB Weld from the ball. Voila!

Thanks for the tip. Had actually done something very similar to what you have suggested a few days after I broke it and it worked very well. Exhaust is now on the car and sounding great!

Had the first few days with the mufflers on without the tail pipes/tips on while I waited for my local dealer to get some new clamps in. The exhaust was a LOT louder while the tail pipes were off and I was seriously questioning whether the whole PSE thing had been a good idea. I put the tail pipes/tips on yesterday and it has made a great difference to it and it is now pretty much what I was hoping for. Very pleased with myself!

• 4 weeks later...

I am confused about my own exhuast system and hope you guys can shed some light... I have an 02 Carrara Coupe that I bought used so I don't know the history of the exhuast system. Anyhow, while removing the exhaust over the weekend to change plugs during my 60k service, I noticed that I have the vacuum "thingy" and ball joint rod attached to my mufflers. I do NOT have any type of PSE switch on my dash. Does this mean the previous owner swapped the exhaust? If so, does the system defualt to "loud" or "quite" mode and can I "lock" it into a certain mode? For what it is worth, I did notice the Eisenmann name stamped on the the mufflers.

Thanks for any info...

• Admin
I am confused about my own exhuast system and hope you guys can shed some light... I have an 02 Carrara Coupe that I bought used so I don't know the history of the exhuast system. Anyhow, while removing the exhaust over the weekend to change plugs during my 60k service, I noticed that I have the vacuum "thingy" and ball joint rod attached to my mufflers. I do NOT have any type of PSE switch on my dash. Does this mean the previous owner swapped the exhaust? If so, does the system defualt to "loud" or "quite" mode and can I "lock" it into a certain mode? For what it is worth, I did notice the Eisenmann name stamped on the the mufflers.

Thanks for any info...

The dash switch was optional.

If your mufflers have the valve then they are PSE.

p96014.jpg

Thanks for any info...

The dash switch was optional.

If your mufflers have the valve then they are PSE.

p96014.jpg

Interesting... Thanks for the quick reply. Now I am going to search the forum about PSE and learn how it works...