Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gravel nicks on hood: Touch-up or repaint?

I've got a bunch of nicks on my hood from gravel. Is it better to just touch them up or have the whole hood repainted. Would repainting the hood help or hurt resale value?

I have my car in the body shop for the next 1.5 weeks to fix a few dents and replace the bumper and could go either way on the hood.

• Moderators

It is better to repaint the whole hood while the car is in the shop, i think it help the resale value if you take pics BEFORE and AFTER the paint job, to show that the car wasn't damaged by car accident.

Thanks for the reply. They told me that they would be taking a bunch of pics of before and after for me. I'll call them back and ask how much to repaint the hood.

I had heard that repainting may hurt resale value of high-end cars such as this (as you hinted at in reference to collision damage).

Thanks for the reply. They told me that they would be taking a bunch of pics of before and after for me. I'll call them back and ask how much to repaint the hood.

I had heard that repainting may hurt resale value of high-end cars such as this (as you hinted at in reference to collision damage).

monkeydust,

Can you let us know how much they are charging you for the job - I am in the same situation.

monkeydust,

Can you let us know how much they are charging you for the job - I am in the same situation.

Yeah, I haven't called them yet as I was waiting to see if I got anymore replies (in case somebody says not to do it).

Currently I am getting a few things done that is going to cost me just under 3k:

Replace/paint front bumper - looks like somebody tried to tear off a license plate from it (part plus labor for this is about $1500)

1' dent/scratch below driver door - That's when a curb taught me what low clearance this car has

Quarter size dent on top curve of passenger door - Yeah, I did that hauling a tree in my car - don't ask :)

I have done touch ups on stone chips several times. With lots of time and effort you can get good results. Having said that, If my car was already in the shop and getting a new front bumper and they are already spraying my paint in my color?? I would have them sand and spray the hood. It will look much better for not much more $$.

Well, on the flip side, a brand new 997 convertible would set you back $100k, right, so if that helps, $3700 to get your Carrera in 'Perfect' shape now sounds like a bargain! :)

True, but I imagine its only adding about half of my cost onto the resale value (whenever I decide to resale it - prob not for years).

I guess my biggest concerns would be color matching and differences due to fading over time.

Well, after the repaint my two front quarter panels, hood, driver rear quarter panel, passenger door, there's not much left of the original to match with!

But, these guys are professionals with many years of experience behind them. I'm sure they'll do a great job. Plus, black isn't too hard to match up well.

Ya know, I'm pretty surprised that there hasn't been people telling me to touch it up instead of painting it. My father who has been in the automobile business for 30 years plus told me that I'd decrease the value by 3k if I had it painted. He said that some dealers use a device to measure paint thickness and would lessen the value if it was proven not to be the original paint job.

Searching on Google for more information on this, I can only find a post that I made a while back over on another forum. So, is my father correct or not on this? If I have before and after pictures as another poster in here suggested, will this nullify any price decrease? Would the only reason for this be that it could mean the car had been wrecked and that was the reason for the paint job?

I just want to make sure before I do this. After spending $3700 getting dents fixed and half the car painted, I don't want to be out $6700 because of repainting it.

Ok, after reading this thread, I'm somewhat concerned if repainting the hood and two front quarter panels is the right way to go. Although, I will be getting a door and rear quarter panel painted regardless because of the dents.

Edited by monkeydust

Just had the hood and bumper repainted on my 2000 Millenium Edition 911. Asked around for quite some time to find a paint and body shop that could handle the special color and the change in the color based on the sun, etc. More than one dealership in NCal told me about Baron Von Frier in Berkeley. As it turned out, the owner, Dave, is a nut job that makes the word perfectionist inadequate. He would not paint the car until he had adequate sunlight to study sample panels of the paint to make sure it changed colors correctly. Made sure everything that was replaced was original, even to the clamp on the headlight washer! Did some extra work on a ding on the door that I had decided not to bother with, and made that perfect also, for free. He is a little expensive, but the work was incredible, and it is perfect in every way. Doing the clear bra over the entire hood and bumper after 30 days to wait for the paint to cure, but it was double baked so probably would be ok even if I didn't wait. He called me for approval on every little thing, prior to going ahead with it. Can't say enough about this shop. Well worth the money to get your car in perfect condition. Oh, and he measures the paint thickness on the car prior to doing anything and can tell you where it has been repainted before, and if there was body work or not. I thought mine was completely original and it had some paint work prior to my work. This shop is an 11 on a 1-10 scale.

Ya know, I'm pretty surprised that there hasn't been people telling me to touch it up instead of painting it. My father who has been in the automobile business for 30 years plus told me that I'd decrease the value by 3k if I had it painted. He said that some dealers use a device to measure paint thickness and would lessen the value if it was proven not to be the original paint job.

Searching on Google for more information on this, I can only find a post that I made a while back over on another forum. So, is my father correct or not on this? If I have before and after pictures as another poster in here suggested, will this nullify any price decrease? Would the only reason for this be that it could mean the car had been wrecked and that was the reason for the paint job?

I just want to make sure before I do this. After spending $3700 getting dents fixed and half the car painted, I don't want to be out $6700 because of repainting it.

Ok, after reading this thread, I'm somewhat concerned if repainting the hood and two front quarter panels is the right way to go. Although, I will be getting a door and rear quarter panel painted regardless because of the dents.

As many posters have stated, it all depends on the meticulousness, preparation and attention to detail of the individual painting your car.

Your father's comments are accurate, but they apply more to true classics with limited production numbers.

Documents everything that is being done to the car, make sure the job is done properly, and, whatever diminishment in the resale value of the car may exist after the job you will regain in spades in enjoyment from driving a pristine car. Everytime you look at the car it will bring you joy, and that is priceless!

Regards, Maurice.