Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

18" wheels vs 19" wheels

I have a 2002 C4S coupe and looking to upgrade to the newer turbo wheels. I can get them in 18" or 19" I would just like some opinions on what to go with. I use this car as a driver it is not tracked.

Thanks in advance

southac4s

If you go with 19 inch wheels, you will have to go to a smaller sidewall tire to maintain the same diameter as the 18" combination. One thing to keep in mind the smaller sidewall will allow you better handling, harsher ride, and if you get a flat the exposure of ruining the rim is greater. Also, the larger the wheel size the more expensive the tire will be.

Edited by KevinMac

I have been asking the same question on a couple of different forums, so thought I would reply too. I have a 2003 C4S.

Tough and expensive decision to make. My synopsis, based on the replies from those who know more than me (meaning all), is this:

19: More current, trendy, pretty (they are) and, in rare cases, needed for really high-end brakes (not stock brakes)

I looked over tire sizes at Tirerack, and there are very few wide 19" tires that will keep the correct diameter for the rear wheels of 996 C4S.

18: Generally considered better performance. Many more tires available. Not as trendy. Not quite as "pretty" but still really nice!

Me? Still on the fence, but leaning towards 18s. Many seem to have went to 19s, however.

Also, did not want to duplicate KevinMacs good comments.

There is an article this month on Grass Roots Motorsports magazine about plus sizing wheels/tires and their effect. It was done in conjunction with Tire Rack and they did a plus zero (16" rims), plus one (17"), and plus 2 (18") on a BMW 325i. It is only a few pages, perhaps worth it to pick up a copy and read it. Their results was plus one as the best, so if the car stock is 17", that would be 18". The car used was a BMW, not a 911, but it is more information to help you decide.

19 inch wheels in your C4S? Wow you must like a harsh ride if you drive the car as a daily driver... Mine has the stock 18in wheels and I tend to drive it pretty much a lot... however the ride over rough roads is punishing with the 18's. I am even more biased b/c I just bought an Audi A8L that seems to be coasting on air, so it makes it even more obvious. Plus, there is something to be said about keeping things stock for looks... stick with 18's that your car came with, it will look better IMHO.

I have 19" tryes and have done since I got my 996 years ago. My ride is factory M030 lowered too. The ride is very tight. Sticks to the road like glue. At high speed handling is superb. At low speed comfort is an issue but I have got used to it now.

One thing, you will need to roll your fenders to get 19" wheels to turn without rubbing the front fenders.

Just my own point of view.....I recommend 19" wheels. I also think they look great.