Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Check out this speaker box I found on ebay...

I would want to find out who else has installed them from the Ebay buyers, and contact that person to get an idea of sound, fitment, etc. Most people I have reached out on Ebay are pretty willing to tell you their experience, good or bad.

On the other hand, it would not be my style to have that on the rear of the car. I Know we all have different tastes...

Definitely looks interesting and I'm a sucker for custom. Looks a little too big for the 996 [everything tends to, anyway], though I do love the idea of having some rich bass in the car. I'm about to install a 10" Bazooka I've had for about 7 years in my other cars. However, if previous buyers of this gigantic contraption loved it, I'd consider getting it. If I can get in touch with the seller and some buyers, I'll post what I hear for anyone else's edification. And I use 'edification' loosely.

In the meantime, I've attached the photo below to give an idea of what I really have in mind... it's a little more reasonable, I think...

post-1-1200201814_thumb.png

Edited by Loren
made image viewable

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I just bought a 2000 Cab and the original owner installed a Kenwood Excelon system in the car.

Instead of compromising the rear center section for the sub woofer he installed it in the passenger side footwell with an aluminum grate to protect it.

Although I would never have gone to these extremes for sound it looks nice and sounds great. The car has Porsche silver back GT seats that slide all the way back so even my wife (who is 5-10"tall) has enough leg room.

Not the only solutuion but at least it keeps the integrity of the car without looking like a rice-burner.

That Saturn picture makes me queasy... :huh:

Phillipj

post-7267-1225293873_thumb.jpg

post-7267-1225293905_thumb.jpg

Edited by phillipj

I just bought a 2000 Cab and the original owner installed a Kenwood Excelon system in the car.

Instead of compromising the rear center section for the sub woofer he installed it in the passenger side footwell with an aluminum grate to protect it.

Although I would never have gone to these extremes for sound it looks nice and sounds great. The car has Porsche silver back GT seats that slide all the way back so even my wife (who is 5-10"tall) has enough leg room.

Not the only solutuion but at least it keeps the integrity of the car without looking like a rice-burner.

Phillipj

I like the amp position, but think I would have made a box to go behind the rear seats with matching carpet and same dimension as the rea deck. This would make it look like it's part of the deck.

Phillipj

I like the amp position, but think I would have made a box to go behind the rear seats with matching carpet and same dimension as the rea deck. This would make it look like it's part of the deck.

Hmm, Someone else had the same Idea. Cool Here is the one I built in my spare time. I have built more than 2 dozen boxes in my day I must say that this was the most difficult. I plan on building a Fiber box molded to the car so that I can squeeze out enough air space to make the next one ported. I have had the RF power amp and P3 Subs for more than a year now just need the time.

(not sure how this will work I tried to link my pics that are in P-bucket but it said that the administrator does not allow from there?)

post-8312-1225560764_thumb.jpg

post-8312-1225562359_thumb.jpg

Phillipj

Hmm, Someone else had the same Idea. Cool Here is the one I built in my spare time. I have built more than 2 dozen boxes in my day I must say that this was the most difficult. I plan on building a Fiber box molded to the car so that I can squeeze out enough air space to make the next one ported. I have had the RF power amp and P3 Subs for more than a year now just need the time.

(not sure how this will work I tried to link my pics that are in P-bucket but it said that the administrator does not allow from there?)

ViolaGT3, now I like that! That would be my preference. Nice job!

Edited by KevinMac

Thanks. It did the trick perfectly and I mounted the bass knob to adjust it in the center console cubby. The 8's hit nice and tight, without breaking your eardrums. But I guess if one were to turn the bass all the way up they could hang out with the guy in the Ion pictured above and they could go deaf together? Here's the pic of the bass knob, it kind of looks mangled but that's just the clear plastic protector I tend to leave them on, it's still on the subs too.

Edited by ViolaGT3

• 2 months later...

This is a box I've been working on for quite some time now. Once I was confident that people would feel satisfied with the end result I started listing them on Ebay to gauge interest. I've sold 2 in the last two weeks but I was surprised by the minimal interest. After lots of research into boxes I was disgusted with what the aftermarket offers. They all seem way to gaudy and wildly overpriced! I really wanted something for myself that would blend seamlessly into the car's interior space (carpet color and a place to hide the amp.) and still deliver great base. My car's carpet is a little faded but the carpet on the box is as close as anyone will find to the stock color and grain. Both of the purchasing parties have been thrilled with the performance of the box as am I. Yet still people just haven't been bidding like I expected.

I'm also curious as to why anyone on earth would feel the need to install a pair of 10s or 12s in such a small car. I tried a ten in a box I built and it was just a little much for me. I think a single 8 will fulfill the needs of every Porsche owners whose name doesn't end with Cent or Dog. ^_^

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230321234299

Edited by dr914jr

That poor RX-8, what did it do to deserve that ...

What is even sadder is I have seen this pic before and it is a Saturn Ion. Pretty ridiculous. :clapping:

If that's and Ion why did the go to the trouble to stamp RX-8 on the door sill? :D........And don't Ion's only have 1 rear door.

I personally would be less disturbed if it was still a Saturn but........;)

This is a box I've been working on for quite some time now. Once I was confident that people would feel satisfied with the end result I started listing them on Ebay to gauge interest. I've sold 2 in the last two weeks but I was surprised by the minimal interest. After lots of research into boxes I was disgusted with what the aftermarket offers. They all seem way to gaudy and wildly overpriced! I really wanted something for myself that would blend seamlessly into the car's interior space (carpet color and a place to hide the amp.) and still deliver great base. My car's carpet is a little faded but the carpet on the box is as close as anyone will find to the stock color and grain. Both of the purchasing parties have been thrilled with the performance of the box as am I. Yet still people just haven't been bidding like I expected.

I'm also curious as to why anyone on earth would feel the need to install a pair of 10s or 12s in such a small car. I tried a ten in a box I built and it was just a little much for me. I think a single 8 will fulfill the needs of every Porsche owners whose name doesn't end with Cent or Dog. ^_^

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230321234299

Wow,

That's a really nice looking box. I think that would do the trick. Why did you select a single sub over a dual 8 inch setup? What is the advantage?

I have been looking for a sub solution and this maybe right up my alley,

Thanks in advance,

Thanks, My first concern was honestly to ensure the build quality was on par with that of the car. It means allot to me that none of the boxes have been returned "knock on wood". My goal was to add one sub woofer so I still had a very discrete spot to install the amp. The space just isn't big enough to offer the correct cubic volume for two speakers while still providing a sealed compartment for the amp. I thought the system might require a second woofer but after I installed the prototype it was very apparent that one eight I is more than adequate for my personal tastes. I've also created some jigs that have allowed me to reduce the boxe's weight by 4 pounds.

I'm currently working on a Boxster box that will replace the storage area behind the headrests. I plan on using a pair of 6in subs and a single concealed amp all will be mounted in the box. It's a much more complicated design so it will probably take another couple of months to perfect but I'm very excited. I'll post pictures as soon as the first working prototype is complete.