Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing the Amber on the Headlights

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Did the mod today. Burnt out the plastic with the solder iron; that is tough stuff, not very pliable. You'd think plastic would snap if twisted? Take your time, as it takes patience to melt and then grab quickly with needle nose pliers. The stuff hardens almost immediately after being heated! I was more than happy to rid my '02 S of this last remnant of amber. The silver bulbs look and work great. BTW, I used mulitple layers of aluminium foil and had very little damage around the light socket. I touched it up with a file and it is not visible. The socket plug has enough tolerence in it that it would not affect replacement anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On a 2003 the internal lense is amber with a clear bulb, just like litronic headlights. If you remove the lense then you would need amber bulbs or the silver bulbs that flash amber.

Thanks, yep, I see that now, just have to get up the nerve to start melting things!

• 8 months later...

So I'm a little confused. Do need a soldering iron or should I just start prying away at it with needle nose pliers? :unsure:

Before and after pic. Left with the orange filter present. Right after it is removed.

compare.jpg

The image on the right needs a silvervision bulb to maintain the effect. See below:

With an orange bulb:

yellow_bulb_off.jpg

With a silvervision bulb:

front_svblbs_close.jpg

Please note that, as Jeff points out, this only applies to headlights with the orange filter insert. Not to those with the orange coating underneath the outside plastic.

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke to Henry today and he said he would amberectomy your headlights. Henry had done at least 2 sets that I know of.

Hi,

I really like the look of the car without the amber lights. I have Litronics (99 C4 Cab). Where does Henry live? San Jose?

I need an Amberectomy!

John

• Moderators

Henry lives in San Jose, and there is a work on cars day at his house July 28, 2007.

I know he has done at least 2 sets of headlights, both litronics, since I was there to take some of the pictures you see in this thread..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for the redundant post. I thought I had it straight and am now confused after this thread. I have a 2002 Boxster S and want to remove the amber from the front headlights. Based on this thread, that is not possible. Is that correct? I'm assuming the reason is because the amber is in the plastic it self and not just the inside panel.

Again, sorry for the redundant question.

Thanks,

Ryan

• Moderators

The amber on the headlight cover is solid amber plastic and you cannot remove it. It is not a film or tint that can be removed.

This thread is about removing the internal amber lense inside the headlight, and has no application on for a 2002 with the standard halogen amber headlights.

post-4-1217675857_thumb.jpg

post-4-1217675880_thumb.jpg

The amber on the headlight cover is solid amber plastic and you cannot remove it.

Has anyone tried applying smoked grey film to the amber plastic. Would it improve appearance on an Artic Silver car and would the turn signal be visible?

Trying to find alternative to replacing expensive headlights.

• 7 years later...

This hack is only for litronics, 996 or 2003 Boxster 'clear' lights, which have clear triangles. If you have lights with the amber on the headlight cover then this hack is not for you as you cannot remove the amber. Only on the clear lights with an internal amber lense.

Once the internal amber lense is removed then you must replace the clear turn signal bulb with an amber bulb, or one of those bulbs that look silver but flash amber.

Henry's before and after picture of his lits.

amber_clear3litronic_henry.sized.jpg