Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dealer charge to install nav.

I recently purchased an '06 997. One of the few missing options on this car was nav. I was able to order all the parts from the Porsche dealer where I purchased my car (in N.J.). I drove the car home to TN and waited for the parts to arrive so I could take them to my local dealer for install. I gave the service rep my vin and all the part numbers, he said it would cost between $800-1000 to install!!!! I finally went to see him in person, without looking at anything he said he would charge me $750!!! I have never trusted this dealer, I also have a '91 C2 Cab. I have had all work performed by an independant shop. In this case I have a car still under warranty and would like to keep it that way. I called 2 other Porsche dealers and asked them for a price to install my new nav. Their prices were $280 and less than $400!!!! Clearly I will drive 3 hours to another dealer in another state before I will take my car to the local pirates! This is my 9th Porsche and I have been a member of PCA for over 30 years. I have never had this kind of experience before. Any ideas???

There is a write up on installing navigation on the caymanclub.net forum. Apart from the navigation DVD drive, bracket, MOST cable, GPS antennae and cable and PCM unit itself , you also need a navigation MAP DVD (about 800 USD on its own). Fitting involves removing the lower dash trim , installing the MOST cable through the bulkhead, fitting the PCM , the DVD drive and bracket and then splicing into existing wiring for the power. After the hardwiring and equipment has been installed the PCM needs to be set up / configured for your car using the PWIS tester. i'd think this was at least a good 5-6 hours work for someone that knew their way around a porsche and had done this before.

Donlycan, I understand your frustration, but also consider what your time is worth too. 6 hours of driving plus 3-4 hours at the dealership waiting. That could easily "cost" you $500-$1,000 too. Just a thought.

I understand your point. For me the real issue is that I know what Porsche allows for the install, approx. 3-4 hrs. Labor rates may vary, not by that much! The other issue is that I don't trust them to do the right job! I've heard a lot of horror stories about incorrect software updates, etc.

Donlycan, I understand your frustration, but also consider what your time is worth too. 6 hours of driving plus 3-4 hours at the dealership waiting. That could easily "cost" you $500-$1,000 too. Just a thought.

I understand your point. For me the real issue is that I know what Porsche allows for the install, approx. 3-4 hrs. Labor rates may vary, not by that much! The other issue is that I don't trust them to do the right job! I've heard a lot of horror stories about incorrect software updates, etc.

I understand and agree. The quality of the work is very-very important. Good decision.

I understand and agree. The quality of the work is very-very important. Good decision.

I would like to find the right forum to bring this issue to PCNA's attention.

Write PCNA a letter. Curious to know if they would really address the problem (the obvious rip-off) or if they would spin this like a supersonic top.

My money is on the spin.

BTW, I'm with you on not allowing that dealer to do the install, at any price. Aside from the principle involved, if you don't trust them to do it right it could "cost" you for years to come and take away from the enjoyment that you should have from your Porsche.

Regards, Maurice.

Sadly, I don't think PCNA really cares. This is very unfortunate.

I believe the TSB says 3 hours labor and that's what the dealer charged me. 3 hours times the dealer's hourly rate. I don't remember exactly but it was the 300-400 range

If you are a member here you can access the TSB and it'll say what the dealer is supposed to charge (# of hours)

as mentioned earlier, the cayman club has a pictorial if you are DIY

I believe the TSB says 3 hours labor and that's what the dealer charged me. 3 hours times the dealer's hourly rate. I don't remember exactly but it was the 300-400 range

If you are a member here you can access the TSB and it'll say what the dealer is supposed to charge (# of hours)

Thank you!The Dealer where I bought the parts gave me a copy of the TSB, so I knew going in the time estimate. That is the primary reason I'm so annoyed with my local Dealer. They never bothered to look! Just out of curiousity, how can I access the Cayman Club? My appointment to install is tomorrow. Maybe it will help me to better understand what they are doing.

Don

Thank you!The Dealer where I bought the parts gave me a copy of the TSB, so I knew going in the time estimate. That is the primary reason I'm so annoyed with my local Dealer. They never bothered to look! Just out of curiousity, how can I access the Cayman Club? My appointment to install is tomorrow. Maybe it will help me to better understand what they are doing.

Don

Here...

Cayman Club

the articles in question are....

PCM Install part 1

and

PCM Install part 2

Edited by Nick_USA

Well, this has really turned out to be a "special" experience. The Nav is installed, that's the good news. The cruise no longer works. The tech did something wrong with the cowl, there is a fiber optic jumper cable installed because the tech insisted that using the cale for the cd changer if 1 is not installed will not work!!! By the way, the Dealer only employs 1 tech. Nice guy, but he had to leave at 2 to watch kids. I will now need to make another 6 hour drive and wait who knows how long? Live and learn! After this, I'll try Nashville!!! lol

• Moderators

The cruise control is connected directly with the DME, PCM takes the speed signal elsewhere, perhaps a renewed wake up procedure ( used vehicle handover ) can help you out. It happens that some control boxes get asleep after disconnect the battery.

• Moderators

Same for Sport Chrono. If it is a Sport Chrono +, the dealer have to order a E-pass with the enable code for reprogramming. You can go to the nearest dealer if you want.

My wife's '05 997 was just like yours - didn't have Nav but she wanted it. I just tracked down the invoice (dated late April 2005, so prices might have gone up)

Labor was 4.00 "units" - which I think translates to 4.0 hours, for a cost of $460 (and this is not a cheap dealer in terms of service). We also ordered the parts from the dealer (they typically won't install parts brought in by customers) for retail price of $2690 (p/n 997-044=900-70). PCA discount dropped the parts and labor cost by 10%.

My wife likes the Nav a lot, even though she usually just looks at the map when she's driving, but wishes it was smart enough to pick up traffic information, display delays and dynamically reroute around accidents and slow downs! Don't we all wish