Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Service done :-)

Went to my dads shop on saturday and had my cooling system placed under a vacum of 50PSI and sucked nearly all the coolant out of the car... so i think haha, The level of the "Old Coolant" tank was at .5 liters and when it was done pulling my coolant out it filled up to the 8 liter mark. Anyone know exactly how much coolant the entire system holds?

When the Coolant was being sucked out, it looked very clear, almost like water with a light green tint to it.

Here are acouple pictures i took while i was there of the vacum device.

Heres the dirty old coolant.. i have no idea how old it is, atleast 20k miles old cause thats how many miles i've put on the car since ownership. Notice how the coolant separated from the brown "matter"...scary stuff

coolant1.jpg

Heres the old coolant tank next to the new coolant that was pushed back into the system.

coolant2.jpg

I also noticed on the way to work this morning that the coolant temp was alot better than it usually is, Normally the Coolant Temp Gauge needle settles over the first quarter section of the "0" of the "180" print. Now, after the coolant change, it hovers over the "8".

Edited by CJ_Boxster

Carlos ~~

The owner's manual says 18 liters for the non-S. You've got troubles with only 7.5 liters removed. You need to drain the engine, then detach and drain the two major hoses radiator from the engine that are under the removable pan wide pan in front of the engine. I am in the process of doing this at this moment...... I have my front inner fenders and wheels off at this time to replace a leaky radiator, so I'm going to detach front lower hoses as well to see what else comes out. Then I'm going to measure what came out against the 18 Liters.

I'll fill it with water and run it to flush out the remaining coolant and crap then drain again and fill with an acceptable antifreeze. I have the time as the car is down for the winter.

Mine is an '01 986.

Bob

Went to my dads shop on saturday and had my cooling system placed under a vacum of 50PSI and sucked nearly all the coolant out of the car... so i think haha, The level of the "Old Coolant" tank was at .5 liters and when it was done pulling my coolant out it filled up to the 8 liter mark. Anyone know exactly how much coolant the entire system holds?

Carlos:

According to the Bentley Manual, the coolant capacity for 1997 to 2002 Boxster is 17 liters (4.5 U.S. Gallons).

For later 986 Boxsters, the capacity varies from 18 liters to 23 liters depending on whether it's a manual or automatic, Non-S or S.

Regards, Maurice.

I finished draining the coolant from the engine block and radiator lines (front and back) but forgot to drain the heater hoses at the base of the engine and therefore also forgot to mention it on post #5 above...sorry. I drained only 3.5 of the 4.75 gal capacity. Got to crawl under and unclamp those heater hoses tomorrow. I can't envision the heater system holding the illusive 1.25 gallons, so the engine and hose lines to the front must have pockets that cannot be drained. I'm following the procedure in the official Porsche service manual, so I guess that Porsche factory techs don't know how to empty it completely either. The Porsche manual does not say to flush it either, so I'm wondering what those guys know! This should be a simple job and not a PITA as it is!!!!!!

Does anyone have any experience with this and thoughts on the procedure???

Bob

I finished draining the coolant from the engine block and radiator lines (front and back) but forgot to drain the heater hoses at the base of the engine and therefore also forgot to mention it on post #5 above...sorry. I drained only 3.5 of the 4.75 gal capacity. Got to crawl under and unclamp those heater hoses tomorrow. I can't envision the heater system holding the illusive 1.25 gallons, so the engine and hose lines to the front must have pockets that cannot be drained. I'm following the procedure in the official Porsche service manual, so I guess that Porsche factory techs don't know how to empty it completely either. The Porsche manual does not say to flush it either, so I'm wondering what those guys know! This should be a simple job and not a PITA as it is!!!!!!

Bob

Bob:

There may be between a pint and a quart in the heater core itself. I don't think it can be drained out by gravity. The heater core is easy to access at the base of the windshield, just behind the battery.

You can hook up a hose to the inbound pipe just behind the battery to get it properly flushed out. You can access the heater core in and out pipes more easily by removing just the battery, without going to the more involved (but still easy) process of removing the heater core. The hoses leading to the in and out pipes of the heater core have arrows on them showing the direction of the coolant.

Regards, Maurice.

Bob

Bob:

There may be between a pint and a quart in the heater core itself. I don't think it can be drained out by gravity. The heater core is easy to access at the base of the windshield, just behind the battery.

You can hook up a hose to the inbound pipe just behind the battery to get it properly flushed out. You can access the heater core in and out pipes more easily by removing just the battery, without going to the more involved (but still easy) process of removing the heater core. The hoses leading to the in and out pipes of the heater core have arrows on them showing the direction of the coolant.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice, but do you think that the core would drain if the hoses are disconnected at the bottom of the engine where they terminate. In other words, would gravity do the job or are there reasons that the core would still hold on to a load of coolant?

Bob

I'm not familiar with that brand of antifreeze, i assume it's silciate free. The antifreeze/distilled water is a "lifetime" deal. You don't mention using distilled water. For what it's worth, you'll want a 50/50 mix, the higher antifreeze content 55percent+ will start to reduce the quality of heat transfer.

Thanks Maurice, but do you think that the core would drain if the hoses are disconnected at the bottom of the engine where they terminate. In other words, would gravity do the job or are there reasons that the core would still hold on to a load of coolant?

Bob

Bob:

I don't think the core would drain if you disconnect the hoses at the bottom of the engine because the inlet and outlet tubes for the heater core are at the top of the heater core. The only possibility (and I don't believe it would work in this instance) is if you can get an action going similar to when you siphon a gas tank and suck on the hose until you get the flow of gas going and then hold the outlet of the hose at a lower point than the level of the liquid in the tank. It might be a better idea to blow compressed air through the inlet tube behind the battery and seeing how much volume of liquid you get out through the outlet tube.

Here is a photo of the heater core so that you can get an idea of what I am talking about:

post-6627-1201582565.jpg

For reference, as you are facing the heater core in the photograph (which is the way it is mounted in the car if you are standing in front of the car looking towards the windshield), the inlet is on the right side, as should be confirmed by the arrows on the hoses behind the battery.

Also, the size is about 10 3/4" high by 6 1/4" wide and 1 1/2" thick.

I agree that you should only use distilled water to dilute the pure antifreeze.

Regards, Maurice.

Bob

Bob:

I don't think the core would drain if you disconnect the hoses at the bottom of the engine because the inlet and outlet tubes for the heater core are at the top of the heater core. The only possibility (and I don't believe it would work in this instance) is if you can get an action going similar to when you siphon a gas tank and suck on the hose until you get the flow of gas going and then hold the outlet of the hose at a lower point than the level of the liquid in the tank. It might be a better idea to blow compressed air through the inlet tube behind the battery and seeing how much volume of liquid you get out through the outlet tube.

Here is a photo of the heater core so that you can get an idea of what I am talking about:

post-6627-1201582565.jpg

For reference, as you are facing the heater core in the photograph (which is the way it is mounted in the car if you are standing in front of the car looking towards the windshield), the inlet is on the right side, as should be confirmed by the arrows on the hoses behind the battery.

Also, the size is about 10 3/4" high by 6 1/4" wide and 1 1/2" thick.

I agree that you should only use distilled water to dilute the pure antifreeze.

Regards, Maurice.

Had another similar but easier idea....I disconnected the two heater hoses at the base of the engine, then flushed the lines with my garden hose from below. Just a bit messy, but a whole lot easier than removing the batt, etc. But thanks for the ideas, picture of the core, and inspiration.

BTW, only a pint or so of coolant came out of those lines and core. I still can't account for a gallon or so of coolant in the draining process!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Had another similar but easier idea....I disconnected the two heater hoses at the base of the engine, then flushed the lines with my garden hose from below. Just a bit messy, but a whole lot easier than removing the batt, etc. But thanks for the ideas, picture of the core, and inspiration.

BTW, only a pint or so of coolant came out of those lines and core. I still can't account for a gallon or so of coolant in the draining process!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Bob:

Have you taken a look at the "Cooling System Components Overview" Diagram at page 19-2 of the Bentley Manual? The only other place that the missing gallon of coolant could be is in the two radiators up front and/or in the lines leading to and from them.

Regards, Maurice.

Bob

Bob:

Have you taken a look at the "Cooling System Components Overview" Diagram at page 19-2 of the Bentley Manual? The only other place that the missing gallon of coolant could be is in the two radiators up front and/or in the lines leading to and from them.

Regards, Maurice.

Don't have that manual, but do have a factory manual on disc. I've disconnected both of the lower hoses at the front radiators and there was only a half gallon or so that came out of both. There may be some undrainable dips in the lines, but that could not contain much. I'm filling wiht water right now. Warm up, cooldown, top off, etc, etc. Then will measure the drained water to double check my figures and method. Still a big ????? !

Thanks for your assistance, Maurice.

Don't have that manual, but do have a factory manual on disc. I've disconnected both of the lower hoses at the front radiators and there was only a half gallon or so that came out of both. There may be some undrainable dips in the lines, but that could not contain much. I'm filling wiht water right now. Warm up, cooldown, top off, etc, etc. Then will measure the drained water to double check my figures and method. Still a big ????? !

Bob:

Here is a diagram of the cooling system, with the components numbered and identified:

post-6627-1201751335_thumb.jpg

If you click on the photo to blow it up, you should be able to read the numbers, etc.

The arrows also show the direction of flow of the coolant.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Bob:

Here is a diagram of the cooling system, with the components numbered and identified:

If you click on the photo to blow it up, you should be able to read the numbers, etc.

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice....Thanks. Interesting diagram but I'm not sure what some of those lines are or do. Do you suppose that ATF relates to an automatic transmisson? Mine's 5-spd.

Is that a Bentley manual? Pretty good detail....much better than the Porsche disc at a glance......perhaps I need one.

But I still can't firure where the gallon+ is tucked away. It's full of water now and is cooling down. Tomorrow I'll try to find time to drain it again and measure the "catch".

Bob:

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice....Thanks. Interesting diagram but I'm not sure what some of those lines are or do. Do you suppose that ATF relates to an automatic transmisson? Mine's 5-spd.

Is that a Bentley manual? Pretty good detail....much better than the Porsche disc at a glance......perhaps I need one.

But I still can't firure where the gallon+ is tucked away. It's full of water now and is cooling down. Tomorrow I'll try to find time to drain it again and measure the "catch".

Bob:

Yes, the Porsche factory manual is written in a very cryptic style and is sometimes hard to understand.

You should definitely get the Bentley manual, it's a good investment.

The ATF does refer to the Automatic Transmission Fluid, it's just an extra loop, and you can disregard it for a manual tranny.

At what points are you draining the coolant?

Are there drain plugs at the bottom of the left and right radiators (like the drain plug in the center radiator in the "S")?

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice.... I'm draining the plug at the botton of the engine, the 2 major radiator hoses at the engine, the 2 heater hoses just in front of the engine, and the two radiators. There are no drain plugs. You must remove the bottom hoses of each which can be accesed with the bumper skin off. Thanks for the advice re Bentley.

Bob

• 2 months later...
when are coolant flushes required to be done? I thought we had lifetime coolant, just need to add... oops!

Supposed to be lifetime coolant! Eventually you will need a water pump, radiator, or hose replacement.........I'd change the coolant then. I just did it as I had a bad radiator. I'd recommend at least 2 flushings (fill and run and dump) with distilled water when you do it. Almost a gallon and a half CAN NOT be drained out, so flushing is needed to dilute it and drain.

By the way, Maurice earlier in this thread advised a Bentley manual. WOW... I just got one and is it ever good. Highly recommended....

Bob