Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does sport chrono to change PSM limits

Guys,

I have searched under sport chrono and am wondering if anyone with a pasm car can confirm how it works. I have read that sport chrono will affect throttle mapping (less push on the pedal = more go). everyone agrees on this one. Also, it sport chrono will affect when PSM turns back on if you have it off (two wheel lockup only vs one wheel lockup for no Sport chrono), but does sport chrono do anything to the PSM limits when PSM is actually on?

VMAN

If you choose to enable the sport chrono mode via the Sport button, then yes as well as making the car more responsive to throttle inputs, it will retard the PSM slightly too. It will not be off entirely unless you manually hit the PSM button.

Pop

If you choose to enable the sport chrono mode via the Sport button, then yes as well as making the car more responsive to throttle inputs, it will retard the PSM slightly too. It will not be off entirely unless you manually hit the PSM button.

Pop

+1. You can definetly get the car more sideways!!

Pop

So sport chrono both affects when the system comes back on when you have the PSM button on (ie. you have to lock up two wheels) and increases the PSM limits. Have either of you had a chance to see how it works with DOT R racing tire son?

Thanks,

VMAN

In other words, the SC allows for more drive imput before PSM (please save me!) kicks in!

If you have PSM turned off, the car will automatically turn PSM back on in a very critical situation.

If you have the SC on, I am not aware of the standard PSM limits being automatically engaged in a critical situation.

In other words, the SC allows for more drive imput before PSM (please save me!) kicks in!

If you have PSM turned off, the car will automatically turn PSM back on in a very critical situation.

If you have the SC on, I am not aware of the standard PSM limits being automatically engaged in a critical situation.

Thanks - Just trying to figure out if sport chronon is meanginful in the option pool for a new car purchase.

Thanks - Just trying to figure out if sport chronon is meanginful in the option pool for a new car purchase.

I agree with you, Vman. This was the hardest option for me to decide on 2 years ago. It is very hard to see the difference during a test drive. I decided to get it, mainly because it was not that expensive. I am very happy with it.

I agree with you, Vman. This was the hardest option for me to decide on 2 years ago. It is very hard to see the difference during a test drive. I decided to get it, mainly because it was not that expensive. I am very happy with it.

Thanks fo rthe quick replay.... here is round two.....does sport chrono affect when PASM is reactivated in a meaningful way?

From what I have read, sport chrono changes when PSM is awakened from standby (as it can't be turned off for good in a 997) mode to active, in that a car with sport chrono must ABS trigger two wheels under braking vs. non sport chrono equipped car's will reactivate PSM with one ABS triggered wheel under braking. I don't see how this difference really changes much as when PSM reactivates under braking, as overcooking a corner enough to require you to hit the brakes to keep from going off road or off track so hard to have ABS slip one wheel will likely have ABS slipping at least two wheels, am I missing something?

More significantly, in reading, some driver’s mention PSM lights go off when driving around turns, to indicate PSM is using ABD and ASR to limit power on wheel slip (acting like a electronic differential), do they mean that corner exit wheel slip could reactivate PSM or are they talking about PSM light glowing more bright when PSM is switched on and actively working. Any data regarding if sport chrono has any affect on wheel slip under throttle triggering PSM as this would be significant for me. Note - I am planning on adding an aftermarket Guard LSD to control wheel slip so my goal it to keep PSM asleep when I want it to sleep.

Thanks,

VM

There is a detailed description of the Sport Chrono Package Plus in the 2005 997 Product Introduction Book.

This is available here for our Contributing Members.

Here is a brief diagram overview from the article.

post-1-1203952475_thumb.png

Loren, just became a contributing member, where can I go to find the information? Thanks,

VMAN

• Admin
There is a detailed description of the Sport Chrono Package Plus in the 2005 997 Product Introduction Book.

Loren, just became a contributing member, where can I go to find the information? Thanks,

VMAN

Thank you for your donation.

You can find it here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...mp;showfile=694

The detailed description starts on page 45.

VMAN

Thank you for your donation.

You can find it here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...mp;showfile=694

The detailed description starts on page 45.

Thanks

Pop

So sport chrono both affects when the system comes back on when you have the PSM button on (ie. you have to lock up two wheels) and increases the PSM limits. Have either of you had a chance to see how it works with DOT R racing tire son?

Thanks,

VMAN

Porsche specifically recommends not using racing tires on the 997 due to concern about oil starvation under extreme lateral forces.

From the owner's manual.

"The fitting of racing tires (e.g. slicks) for sporting

events is not approved by Porsche. Very high cornering

speeds can be achieved with racing tires.

However, the resulting transverse acceleration

values would jeopardize the adequate supply of oil

to the engine.

Porsche therefore will not accept any warranty or

accept any liability for damage occurring as a result

of non-compliance with this provision."

With respect to the Sport Chrono sport mode, I find the remapped throttle too difficult to modulate to make it useful on the track. I run PASM in sport mode on the track, but leave the SC in normal mode. This unfortunately means I can't make use of the more "relaxed" PSM setting. If I were to run the SC sport mode, I'd meed PSM all the more, as a minute lift with SC Sport mode on becomes significant. Also, fwiw, the few times PSM has kicked in on the track, I've been very glad it was there.

I wrestled with this same decision for exactly the same reasons. I wasn't sure if it was worth buying the SC in order to gain the "more relaxed" PSM settings. Now, after a year or owning the car, I'm quite sure I would definitely not buy the SC again. Prior to the 911 I owned a BMW M Roadster, and in that car is was necessary to disable stability control for any kind of event or even for enthusiastic driving on the street. BMW's stability control was very invasive and I developed the habit of turning it off very regularly.

In contrast to that I've found that Porsche's PSM is entirely unlike my experiences with BMW's DSC. Even in the normal, non-sport mode the PSM rarely interferes with aggressive driving. It's quite possible to kick the back end out a little bit if I'm feeling spirited on the street and on the track I've never felt PSM take charge in a situation where it wasn't appreciated. Like mglobe, I find that the sport throttle mapping is pretty awful and never use it. When I autocross I've got PSM completely off.

I overestimated the desirability of that third, middle-ground PSM setting. The reality of PSM for me is that normal mode is permissive enough for me and off is still off when I'm autocrossing. In practice I never make use of the "sport" setting and I'm certainly not getting my money's worth for the option. I'll skip it next time around.