Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

AirBag Light

My airbag light is on. I bought my 98 Boxster in July 07 and the airbag light was on. The previous owner had recently had the driver's seat belt & harness replaced, the light disappeared but eventually reappeared, literally right before I bought the vehicle.

When I ran the codes with the AutoZone code reader, I could not find a fault code. What are my options?

Edited by kbrandsma

My airbag light is on. I bought my 98 Boxster in July 07 and the airbag light was on. The previous owner had recently had the passenger seat belt harness replaced, the light disappeared but eventually reappeared, literally right before I bought the vehicle.

When I ran the codes with the AutoZone code reader, I could not find a fault code. What are my options?

There is more to repairing what triggers an airbag light than just replacing the seat belt harness. It is commonly caused by poor grounds under the seat and/or corrosion in the connectors between the seat belt and the wiring harness under the seat.

It can also be triggered by a few causes involving the ground or the connection between the steering wheel and the hub.

I would try reading the codes again with a different reader (like a Durametric) to see if you can isolate the cause.

Other than that, you can take a chance and install the retrofit kit indicated by the TSB on this issue and hope that it covers your particular cause.

Regards, Maurice.

My airbag light came on, they diagnosed a bad buckle as the first point of contact. The dealer replaced my driver's side seat belt buckle, the light went out.

Of course it appeared a week later. They then installed the standard new grounding kit that apparently all the dealers know about if the first fix didn't fix. So after about $500 in new parts and labor, the $5 light is out and has stayed out. So, that's the options. Strange huh?

My airbag light is on. I bought my 98 Boxster in July 07 and the airbag light was on. The previous owner had recently had the passenger seat belt harness replaced, the light disappeared but eventually reappeared, literally right before I bought the vehicle.

My airbag light came on, they diagnosed a bad buckle as the first point of contact. The dealer replaced my driver's side seat belt buckle, the light went out.

Of course it appeared a week later. They then installed the standard new grounding kit that apparently all the dealers know about if the first fix didn't fix. So after about $500 in new parts and labor, the $5 light is out and has stayed out. So, that's the options. Strange huh?

There is one other option:

Become a contributing member at RennTech, download the TSB on the issue, buy the seat belt receptacles and the "service set belt buckle kit" and re-do the wiring yourself. If you know how to solder, the most difficult part is deciphering the obtuse directions contained in the TSB.

Total cost if you DIY: approximately $85 for one side, $170 both sides.

Regards, Maurice.

• 1 month later...

I odered and received a Durametric Tool last week and ran the codes. It indicated a passenger seat belt problem. Sprayed electrical cleaner into the seat belt receptacle on the passenger side and used canned air to dry and clean. Cleared the code and light has stayed out going on a week now. If it comes back I'll will replace the passenger buckle and electrical harness per TSB. The drivers side was done by previous owner in 2006.

Edited by kbrandsma

• 4 weeks later...

Going to do the same thing soon. Did you disconnect the battery before you cleaned the connections?

I have an aftermarket stereo, so no worries there.

Kind regards,

Halo

I did not disconnect my battery. I wouldn't think it would matter. You will need a Durametric or PST2 Tool or equivalent to clear the AirBag codes and Airbag light after cleaning.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The dealer replaced my passwneger side seat belt buckle to clear the air bag light, but now its back on. The fault codes indicate that its the passenger seat belt buckle (again). I assume the buckle is fine since it was replaced a few months ago, so I probably need to install the updated wiring harness that is recommended in the TSB. Is there any distiguishing characteristics that would indicate if I already have the updated wiring harness? As the TSB instructs, there is already some shrink-wrap over some solder connections which leads me to believe the procedure has already been performed. The TSB sounds pretty straight forward and easy. Any warnings on DIY?

Thanks.

• Admin
The dealer replaced my passwneger side seat belt buckle to clear the air bag light, but now its back on. The fault codes indicate that its the passenger seat belt buckle (again). I assume the buckle is fine since it was replaced a few months ago, so I probably need to install the updated wiring harness that is recommended in the TSB. Is there any distiguishing characteristics that would indicate if I already have the updated wiring harness? As the TSB instructs, there is already some shrink-wrap over some solder connections which leads me to believe the procedure has already been performed. The TSB sounds pretty straight forward and easy. Any warnings on DIY?

Thanks.

It is not an updated wiring harness - it is re-making the ground connections to the chassis under the left seat and the connectors in that the buckles plug into.

In a few rare cases the airbag controller needs to replaced too.

the TSB I am looking at is #1/04 6924". Is that the correct TSB?

The TSB documents a required part# 000.043.206.06 ("Service set belt buckle") which I referred to as the "wiring harness". The dealer qoeted me $55.02 for the kit. Do I really need the kit, or can I use my own wire connectors, shrink tube, and wire ties.

• Admin

The TSB documents a required part# 000.043.206.06 ("Service set belt buckle") which I referred to as the "wiring harness". The dealer qoeted me $55.02 for the kit. Do I really need the kit, or can I use my own wire connectors, shrink tube, and wire ties.

Those are just connectors. So if you can find equivalent ones elsewhere the cost will likely be much less. Did you get a quote from Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost)? They will likely be much less.

You will also need a connector tool to remove the pins from the connector.

Some of the connectors in the kit (the ones that plug into the receptacle) are supposedly gold-plated so that they resist corrosion for a longer period of time.

Regards, Maurice.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I odered and received a Durametric Tool last week and ran the codes. It indicated a passenger seat belt problem. Sprayed electrical cleaner into the seat belt receptacle on the passenger side and used canned air to dry and clean. Cleared the code and light has stayed out going on a week now. If it comes back I'll will replace the passenger buckle and electrical harness per TSB. The drivers side was done by previous owner in 2006.

Update - it will soon be 2 years without an airbag light.