Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need stock cats and exhaust

I have a full cargraphic exhaust system on my car - which I love, but my car won't pass the CA smog requirement. I have the stock headers but not the stock cats or exhaust. Does anyone have stock cats and/or exhaust available? Help!!

Is it not passing the visible portion, but passes the rest of the tests or??

I have a full cargraphic exhaust system on my car - which I love, but my car won't pass the CA smog requirement. I have the stock headers but not the stock cats or exhaust. Does anyone have stock cats and/or exhaust available? Help!!

Is it not passing the visible portion, but passes the rest of the tests or??

I took it to a local smog shop and they just said they couldn't get it to pass so they stopped testing. It's now at a Porsche indy shop getting checked out - hopefully they can work some magic and get it to pass.

I have a set from a '99 engine I purchased, not sure if they will mate up to the mufflers on an '02 or not.

Todd

Hey Todd, I'll check into it and let you know what I find out. I see you're from Lenexa, I used to live in Overland Park. Do you use Imagine Auto locally?

I have a set from a '99 engine I purchased, not sure if they will mate up to the mufflers on an '02 or not.

Todd

Hey Todd, I'll check into it and let you know what I find out. I see you're from Lenexa, I used to live in Overland Park. Do you use Imagine Auto locally?

I have extra set of used cats for 2000-2001 if needed.

You do not want to put 3.4 liter cat and mufflers on a 3.6 liter engine for very long. The 3.4 liter stuff is smaller diameter.

to ED: OK, so it passed VISIBLE inspection (even with K&N CAI), but failed the running tests??

You do not want to put 3.4 liter cat and mufflers on a 3.6 liter engine for very long. The 3.4 liter stuff is smaller diameter.

to ED: OK, so it passed VISIBLE inspection (even with K&N CAI), but failed the running tests??

Yes, the tester wasn't concerned with the cai, the running test was the problem.

Todd

I know the fellows at IA but I don't use them as I do all my own work.

Todd

Actually Loren I am pretty sure the ID on the piping is the same on the 3.6 and 3.4. Even the 997 3.8X51 uses the same 55mm ID piping. The size of the header ports and primaries changed but I don't think the exhaust piping did. I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong :)

Todd

There was a note on the parts list (to dealers) specifically to not put 3.4 liter mufflers on a 3.6 liter engine.

I assumed they had a good reason for it (internal differences?).

I'm sure they do. The mufflers are different in their configuration, but I think the piping sizes are the same ID for the system.

Todd

• Moderators

Just a note for California residents.

If you look at the DMV renewal notice it says you must pay the registration fees on time to avoid a penalty, even if you do not have a smog inspection.

Long story, but since I have a 1997 Boxster my car has been smogged 5 times. Last 2 inspections my car was "not ready" for the test prior to the date the fees were due. So I paid my fees on time.

Once the DMV receives your fees you get a notice in the mail that the registration is incomplete because of no smog inspection. The notice also states that once the inspection is done your sticker will be mailed within 30 days.

Keep that notice and your canceled check in the car in case you get stopped for not having the sticker. CHP loves to stop people without a current sticker, because Arnold needs the money. You can still be hassled if you get stopped for not having the sticker.

Just a note for California residents.

If you look at the DMV renewal notice it says you must pay the registration fees on time to avoid a penalty, even if you do not have a smog inspection.

Long story, but since I have a 1997 Boxster my car has been smogged 5 times. Last 2 inspections my car was "not ready" for the test prior to the date the fees were due. So I paid my fees on time.

Once the DMV receives your fees you get a notice in the mail that the registration is incomplete because of no smog inspection. The notice also states that once the inspection is done your sticker will be mailed within 30 days.

Keep that notice and your canceled check in the car in case you get stopped for not having the sticker. CHP loves to stop people without a current sticker, because Arnold needs the money. You can still be hassled if you get stopped for not having the sticker.

ED, thanks for answering. I'm told (haven't had to test it yet) I would fail the visual, but be OK on the running tests. Anyone (PM or email or?) know of any "friendly' smog testing stations in southern california that will be ok with engine mods???

From your signature I can see why you're concerned. Get ahold of the guys at GMG racing in SoCal. They do a lot of the installs on superchargers and I'm sure that Fabryce can point you in a direction. They won't do it kuz they're a large engine performance shop and not a smog station....but they do have an index finger that might be able to point you someplace. Worth a try anyway.

This is the very reason I never SC'd my car.

From your signature I can see why you're concerned. Get ahold of the guys at GMG racing in SoCal. They do a lot of the installs on superchargers and I'm sure that Fabryce can point you in a direction. They won't do it kuz they're a large engine performance shop and not a smog station....but they do have an index finger that might be able to point you someplace. Worth a try anyway.

This is the very reason I never SC'd my car.

Txs! I'm familiar with GMG and a couple other places that may help. Yes, I pondered the SC question awhile before I went for it - worth it and I know it passes the running emissions tests, but the visible changes might freak out some people.......