Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Radio Compatability

yup, MOST.

you could buy a used MOST amp from someone who is getting rid of MOST. funny, MOST people are trying to get rid of MOST. ;)

i would just get a good aftermarket stereo (like my Nak CD-500) that will work with your existing wiring/amp. Becker stereos are highly over-rated anyway, and as of late, Porsche will no longer be using Becker stereos in future cars.

here's a pic of my beloved Nak. :)

10643_porsche_cars.jpg

Yeah....when I had the 99 996 I needed a replacement radio and a guy who dealt in the Becker radios sold me a CDR 23 as a replacement....then refused to take it back when I found that it wouldn't work in the 99.....needless to say I was miffed.

That taught me to check these forums before jumping on a "deal". Anyone want a CDR 23....brand new.....cheap? Makes a great paper weight....anchor for a canoe.....bookend.

Yeah....when I had the 99 996 I needed a replacement radio and a guy who dealt in the Becker radios sold me a CDR 23 as a replacement....then refused to take it back when I found that it wouldn't work in the 99.....needless to say I was miffed.

That taught me to check these forums before jumping on a "deal". Anyone want a CDR 23....brand new.....cheap? Makes a great paper weight....anchor for a canoe.....bookend.

Thanks guys. I will scratch that idea then.

Now, can anyone tell me what the dimension are for the radio? Are they close to 169 x 182 x 53 (mm) ? I am looking at an aftermarket radio.

Thanks guys. I will scratch that idea then.

Now, can anyone tell me what the dimension are for the radio? Are they close to 169 x 182 x 53 (mm) ? I am looking at an aftermarket radio.

radios are measured in 'DIN' sizes, which are standard. the CDR-23 is a 1-DIN, for example. so whatever aftermarket radio you buy, it will fit. most aftermarket radios are single DIN which have face dimensions of 50mm (2 inches) tall by 180mm (7 inches) wide. a double DIN is twice as tall and the same width. the radios do vary in *depth* though, and it's important that you know if the radio you want will fit in(to) your dash. most will fit, no problem. ;)

Chris/Loren,

Do you know if the CDR23 will work in the 2000 Boxster? What is different about this radio and the standard radio the fits in the 2000 boxster?

Chris/Loren,

Do you know if the CDR23 will work in the 2000 Boxster? What is different about this radio and the standard radio the fits in the 2000 boxster?

Here's another idea by Kenwood for a single Din especially if you want to have a navigation system on board. I saw this at Best Buy and they're on clearance now, if you can find it in stock.

I have a the Bose system in my 2002, sounds decent but thought about updating the radio and adding navigation. The unit also has DVD, something I would never plan on using. I'm not sure how compatible it would be with the Bose system, otherwise I would do it. Not sure if it's worth using the bose amp or if I should put in a new one.

Crutchfield has a package including navigation for 1100.00 bucks. That's the second link. Also, on the Crutchfield website you can determine if a radio is compatible for your car. Or one that would fit without to much modification.

Good luck!

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...amp;i=113617DVD

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...amp;i=700NAV617

Chris/Loren,

Chris/Loren,

Here's another idea by Kenwood for a single Din especially if you want to have a navigation system on board. I saw this at Best Buy and they're on clearance now, if you can find it in stock.

I have a the Bose system in my 2002, sounds decent but thought about updating the radio and adding navigation. The unit also has DVD, something I would never plan on using. I'm not sure how compatible it would be with the Bose system, otherwise I would do it. Not sure if it's worth using the bose amp or if I should put in a new one.

Crutchfield has a package including navigation for 1100.00 bucks. That's the second link. Also, on the Crutchfield website you can determine if a radio is compatible for your car. Or one that would fit without to much modification.

Good luck!

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...amp;i=113617DVD

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...amp;i=700NAV617

Thanks for the site Keither. I am making a purchase online through that website.

Chuck,

How much do you want for your CDR23?

Lyn

• 4 weeks later...

sent you a PM.

sent you a PM.

PM didn't come through.