Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Shallow subwoofer under where the gloovebox should be?

Hi,

Just wondering, would a shallow-mount sub fit under where the glovebox should be in the passenger footwell? If so how is the space accessed?

I actually mean inside that space, not in the footwell itself

Edited by perleman

Hi,

Just wondering, would a shallow-mount sub fit under where the glovebox should be in the passenger footwell? If so how is the space accessed?

I actually mean inside that space, not in the footwell itself

Perleman:

I'm not sure how much space is there, for those of us who don't have gloveboxes, I imagine the main consideration would be to not infringe on the space occupied by the airbag, and maybe some ventilation pipes/components.

I think you may have hit on the most practical location for a subwoofer though. Someone else will weigh in here and your idea might end up being the one place no one has thought of yet!

Regards, Maurice.

i'm not sure if you've seen this post but this person put 8" low-profile subs in his doors. if the doors will fit an 8" sub, then that's the way to go, IMHO. this is what i plan to do soon. i would also think that a sub in the dash would rattle like crazy.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14162

at the moment, i have a compact sub in the passenger footwell. it's a little cumbersome, but most of the time i'm driving by myself, so it's not a big deal. it only takes up about 4"-6" of legroom in the passenger footwell, so if the passenger moves the seat all the way back there is usually enough room for them to stretch their legs.

plus, the compact sub puts out TONS of bass with its 6" speakers! i can only imagine that 8" subs would put out MORE bass. :)

9409_porsche_cars.jpg

Edited by Chris_in_NH

[hijack]

are those blue or black mats w/ silver thread? I was looking for a picture just like that somewhere else. They look great (and clean ;) ) :D

[/hijack]

yes, blue mats with silver lettering. thanks for the compliment. :)

here's what the whole thing looks like:

10642_porsche_cars.jpg

those amplified kenwood 6" are more like midwoofers, if uguys ask me,,,hahah

dash will probably shake/ vibrate like crazy,,, you could monut one in the passenger foot well. Sony,kicker make some shallow monut 8" subs that will require mounting depth of 2.8 inches plus back(3/4")+front panel(3/4") thickness.

So we are talking almost 5" compensation on the bottom shallow side then It will have to gradually get wider. Probably the biggest reason I went for a center mount, my girl is only 5'7'' OK 5'11'' with her spear heels on but she wasn't even be able to sit in it.

More than anything those shallow subs just doesn't sound like A real sub with huge DVC.

I would never mount a real sub woofer on the door unless there is a special speaker enclosure/pod added on. You prolly won't see a high-end/professionally done 986/911 door sub -job either. Visit a few high end stores- CAR TOYS, CUSTOM F/X listen to what experts has to say about ,,,,, air volumes, tuning ports,air movement,sealed,ported

I currently have a custom box I made myself that goes in the passenger footwell, parallel to the transmision tunnel, about 4 inchs deep - takes advantage of the space under the dash & fits a Pioneer 8" shallow mount sub. Not much of a match for the 10" Alpine I had in the boot of my GOlf before! I'm considering making a large but shallow box that fits the contours of the firewall behind the seat (sealed unlike the other guy on here who made a similar such design). Hoping that this will give me the bass I lust after... will report back.

The rest of myy set up is FOcal components, with tweeters in the dash, woofers in the doors, and 2 x Lanzar 1" shallow mounts in a custom box on the rear parcel shelf that looks totally OEM. That has no bass whatsoever but is great for fill-in. I have 2 amps in the front boot mounted on carpeted MDF on the floor, plenty of power for the fronts & sub, with the rears being powered by the (Alpine) head unit's amp.

those amplified kenwood 6" are more like midwoofers, if uguys ask me,,,hahah

More than anything those shallow subs just doesn't sound like A real sub with huge DVC.

yup, i agree that the Kenwood 6" compact sub probably doesn't compare to a 'real' sub, however it does make the stereo system sound 1000x better.

I currently have a custom box I made myself that goes in the passenger footwell, parallel to the transmision tunnel, about 4 inchs deep - takes advantage of the space under the dash & fits a Pioneer 8" shallow mount sub. Not much of a match for the 10" Alpine I had in the boot of my GOlf before! I'm considering making a large but shallow box that fits the contours of the firewall behind the seat (sealed unlike the other guy on here who made a similar such design). Hoping that this will give me the bass I lust after... will report back.

The rest of myy set up is FOcal components, with tweeters in the dash, woofers in the doors, and 2 x Lanzar 1" shallow mounts in a custom box on the rear parcel shelf that looks totally OEM. That has no bass whatsoever but is great for fill-in. I have 2 amps in the front boot mounted on carpeted MDF on the floor, plenty of power for the fronts & sub, with the rears being powered by the (Alpine) head unit's amp.

do you have pics of your system? i'm very interested. :)

• 2 weeks later...