Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hall Sensor from sunset... location needed please

• Moderators

996 LHD: bank 2 is located on the right side ( passenger side ) hall sensor 2 is located on top of the cylinder head straight in front of the intake camshaft near the gearbox and besides the oil cooler ( heat exchanger )

Found it thanks... took 2 hours try to take it out... ... unsuccessful... lots of things blocking it.. I took off the coolant pipe... still unable to turn the screw...

is there any way to take it off? I hope not to take off the compressor

996 LHD: bank 2 is located on the right side ( passenger side ) hall sensor 2 is located on top of the cylinder head straight in front of the intake camshaft near the gearbox and besides the oil cooler ( heat exchanger )

• 8 months later...
You need a lift to replace the sensor, it takes 15 minutes if you do it from the bottom side.

I have been trying to find this for hours... can you guys help me out a little more? I am under the car looking at the tranny side of the passenger bank. i can see the green cam caps on the back of the head and there are no sensors around. I attached a picture can you guys tell me if this is the right area? maybe circle where the sensor is?

Thanks in advance!

post-28819-1230166017_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I answered your post in an other topic concerning the same question, the engine on the pic have the 1 generation cyl. heads, take a look deep between the water hoses on the opposite side, US is different than Euro, they have no control on bank2.

• 7 years later...

Hi RFM.  This thread is about 6 years old but new to me.  I just found it because like the original poster, I am trying to find this sensor.  You final repsonse says you answered this post on another topic but I couldn't find it.

I have a US 2003 996 C2.

The CEL light came on a month ago. Pulled a P0349 code stating Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2). Car seemed to drive normally so I reset it. CEL came back on today and I pulled the same code. Again, no change in performance noticed whatsoever.

Online research leads me to think this part also goes by other names including
Hall Sender (this is what it's called in the Porsche Parts Catalog)
Hall Effect Sender
Hall Sensor

PN is 99660610603 

Your posts seem to indicate it can be replace in about 5 minutes from below the car.  Sweet.  Could you help me locate it?

Thanks

John

Thanks a lot Ashai,  That pic really helped me locate the sensor.  For anyone looking for it I'll also give you a location by point of reference.  If you are lying on your back under the car, locate the oil filter.  The sensor is about 8 inches forward (toward the front of the car) and about 8 inches outward toward the passenger side of the car.  Look straight up and there you will find the sensor.

Getting the one bolt loose was a bear.  It's tight quarters so fitting a socket wrench was not possible.  It's a 5 mm hex bolt so use an allen wrench.  It takes a good hard push to break it free due to blue locktite on the threads.   I installed a Bosch aftermarket sensor (about $62 on Amazon) rather than the Porsche OEM sensor which is roughly $300. 

Took about 90 minutes from start to finish about an hour of which was trying to figure out what type of bit I needed and how to get the darn bolt loose.  If I had to do it again, it's no more than a 30 minute job.

BTW, my car was on jack stands, not a lift.

John

• 2 years later...

BTW, is the bank 1 sensor in the same location on the heads, but the heads on bank 1 are flipped around from bank 2 (for a 2002 996)?  I.e. same position as Ahsai circled, except looking from the back of the car forward.

I have a CEL from a P0342 which is for bank 1.  I spent a little time this morning looking for the bank 1 sensor and it wasn't obvious to me where it was.

1 hour ago, mklein9 said:

BTW, is the bank 1 sensor in the same location on the heads, but the heads on bank 1 are flipped around from bank 2 (for a 2002 996)?  I.e. same position as Ahsai circled, except looking from the back of the car forward.

I have a CEL from a P0342 which is for bank 1.  I spent a little time this morning looking for the bank 1 sensor and it wasn't obvious to me where it was.

Bank 1 cam sensor is at 8 o'clock from the alternator.

engine.thumb.jpg.c1060985a529be241d2badfe2085e58d.jpg

Thanks Ahsai, good that you have an engine out and ready for pics!  It was super easy to find the bank 1 camshaft hall sensor now that I knew where to look. The sensor connection looked fine but the engine connection in the X59/2 connector is a different story. Hit them all with lots of Deoxit DN5.

• 9 months later...

Guys,

I'm trying to replace both of my hall camshaft position sensors on my 1999 C4.  I am very confused.  I found the one on the passenger side that is towards the back of the car as shown in the Pelican pic as posted by JFP which I have already replaced.

But the other 2 pics posted by Ahsai of the other second sensor shows that it is on the drivers side at an 8 oclock position to the alternator (which I could not locate anything on my car) and another pic showing that is on the passenger side at the front of the engine near the heat exchanger (which I have not been able to get under the car yet). 

I also saw another post showing that it is right next to the AOS  

Does the 1999 have a different location?  I am assuming the driver side sensor for my car would be either the one near the heat exchanger pic or the AOS pic.  If so, best removed working from underneath the car?  I already have the passenger side upper intake manifold off if it helps. 

Edited by rhkwon

OK I figured this one out.  The hall or camshaft position sensor has 2 locations on the 1999 C4.  The one I was having trouble locating is located right next to the AOS.  So if you have removed your AOS, now is a good time to replace the sensor.  It is located on the drivers side to the left of the bottom AOS bellows metal tube.  If you follow the long AOS breather tube as shown in the picture, you will find it.  Just simultaneously push down on the tab and up to disconnect the electrical connector.  Then use a 5mm hex to remove the bolt with a socket and then pull the sensor out.  If you have removed your AOS, this can be done from above the engine.  You will need a 5mm hex head and 1/4" ratchet with a 10" or so extension.   You will have to remove the entire thing blindly using your right hand.   Or it can also be done from underneath the car if it is jacked up and the AOS is removed.

Attached pic is rear of engine on driver side.  Looking from the passenger side to the driver side.

Part number is 996-606-106-02 and is the same for both sides.  Bosch is the original OEM part and much cheaper than Porsche labeled part.   Make sure to buy new O-rings 999-707-404-40 and new bolts 999-218-005-01.

InkedIMG_7067_LI.jpg

Edited by rhkwon

Here is a pic of the passenger side with the sensor removed.  The sensor is located on the passenger side at the rear corner of the engine and is difficult to access.  I had no codes but decided to replace both hall sensors while I had an easy opportunity to do so.  I have already removed the entire top end so removal was very easy.  Use a 5mm hex socket with a 1/4" ratchet.  Just be careful of the 5mm hex bolt and do not strip it and go at it from the correct angle.  I almost stripped the inside of the hex bolt because I was going at it at a 180 degree angle.  I replaced the bolt with a new one as the hex was a little mangled.  The sensor is located under a bunch of wires.  Press down on the clip and disconnect the connector after the bolt is removed and the sensor is loose.  Trust me, much easier this way rather than breaking the connector.  There just is not enough room to get a good grip and torque on the connector with both hands.  The PS high pressure line hose and the PS support bracket it attaches to can get it the way so try to remove the bracket.   Of course, the only way to get at this is to remove the large coolant hose at a minimum.   Don't forget to replace the O-ring with a new one.  Wipe down and clean up the area in general.  Use blue Loctite and torque to 7.5 ft/lbs.

Pic of the sensor location with O-ring:

IMG_7081.JPG

Edited by rhkwon