Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Blown Engine - this cannot be good

Just driving home after work tonight and a few blocks from my house, I hear a high pitched whine. Next thing I know, I'm engulfed in white smoke. Sigh ... I guess this makes the vandalized plastic window and the cylinder #1 misfire seem minor.

I suppose I'll have to have it towed to the local Porsche Dealer for service. Bummer. Just out of warranty for 1 year now. P-car has never been raced. All dealer recommended scheduled servicing. RMS replaced by dealer. Just over 5 yrs and 80,000 km. Very disappointing, to say the least.

Derek

Just driving home after work tonight and a few blocks from my house, I hear a high pitched whine. Next thing I know, I'm engulfed in white smoke. Sigh ... I guess this makes the vandalized plastic window and the cylinder #1 misfire seem minor.

I suppose I'll have to have it towed to the local Porsche Dealer for service. Bummer. Just out of warranty for 1 year now. P-car has never been raced. All dealer recommended scheduled servicing. RMS replaced by dealer. Just over 5 yrs and 80,000 km. Very disappointing, to say the least.

Derek

Derek:

It may just be your AOS has finally given up the ghost. The massive white smoke is also usually an indicator. They usually go at about 60K miles, so your 80K km sounds not too far out of the ball park.

Before you panic, do you know if you have the original AOS in there? The old style AOS had the topmost circular part situated horizontally, the later ("improved") versions had that part situated vertically.

Take the plastic intake tube off the throttle body (one large hose clamp, 8mm socket or flathead screwdriver at each end) and inspect the lower inside surface of the throttle body and see if you have a pool of oil there. If you do, it's most likely your AOS and not that difficult (or expensive) to replace.

If you find a pool of oil there, don't drive the car until you replace the AOS, otherwise you may get what's known as "hydrolock", where the oil goes into the cylinders and cannot be compressed (because it's a liquid) and you will end up with major engine damage.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Maurice,

Thanks for the somewhat uplifting diagnosis. I'm hoping it is as you suggest, but I'm not really holding my breath at this point. At any rate, I'll let the local dealer service it, as this is way over my head as a DIY project. I have neither the know how nor the time.

Derek

Maurice,

Thanks for the somewhat uplifting diagnosis. I'm hoping it is as you suggest, but I'm not really holding my breath at this point. At any rate, I'll let the local dealer service it, as this is way over my head as a DIY project. I have neither the know how nor the time.

Derek

Derek:

Keep us posted. I hope my long distance diagnosis is correct, or that it's another, equally benign (relatively) problem. Like the serpentine belt or one of the pulleys seizing up (screeching). Hope for nothing internal.

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice,

Turns out to be the AOS. You are the man!!

I'm glad it wasn't something more serious. However, it still cost a small fortune for the repair. At least I'm back on the road.

Derek

Just Maurice, I concurred, where's my "you're the man" :D Congrats on a simple find and fix.

Maurice,

Turns out to be the AOS. You are the man!!

I'm glad it wasn't something more serious. However, it still cost a small fortune for the repair. At least I'm back on the road.

Derek

Derek:

Thanks Derek! That's really great news!

I'm glad it didn't turn out to be something more drastic.

The parts for the AOS list for about $140 total. I hope the dealer didn't take advantage of your situation.

The best thing you did was to not drive the car after the AOS blew, because of the possibility of that "hydrolock".

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maruice,

They're the only Porsche dealer in town. What can I say. AOS was $137. Add the 15 km flatbed tow, misc parts, labour, taxes, etc. It was just over $1000 before I could walk out the door.

But I'm still smiling just because I'm back on the road, and hopefully, this solves my P0300 P0301 misfire as well.

Now I'm looking forward to my Robbins top that's supposed to show up soon...

Regards,

Derek

Hi Maruice,

They're the only Porsche dealer in town. What can I say. AOS was $137. Add the 15 km flatbed tow, misc parts, labour, taxes, etc. It was just over $1000 before I could walk out the door.

But I'm still smiling just because I'm back on the road, and hopefully, this solves my P0300 P0301 misfire as well.

Now I'm looking forward to my Robbins top that's supposed to show up soon...

Regards,

Derek

Derek:

$1000! Ouch! However, the important thing is that the car is back on the road.

You may be in luck with your P0300 and P0301 codes.

About three weeks ago, I replaced my AOS and my MAF sensor at the same time, after getting CEL's on and off for almost a year.

Most of my codes were P1128 and P1130, which I cleared and sometimes cleaned the MAF. That helped briefly, but for shorter and shorter periods of time.

Towards the end, in addition to the P1128 and P1130 (which usually indicate the MAF), I was getting P0300 and P0301, along with P0302, P0303, P1313, P1319, P1314, P1315, and P0130.

I cleared those codes, replaced the AOS and the MAF sensor (which I had bought on eBay as "new"). The car has never run better and the codes have not returned after about 300 miles.

So, you may get lucky. If you have to replace you MAF sensor, don't take it anywhere. It's probably the easiest DIY on the Boxster. The only thing you will need (if its the same fasteners as the early 986, which I think it is) is a T20 Security Torx bit. That job literally takes 10 minutes.

If you are going to DIY the top, let me know and I can talk you through any hurdles you might encounter. Another poster on this board (pmpjuil), who also lives in Canada recently did his top and posted on here with great results.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Maurice,

Yes, I've read your thread regarding your MAF escapade and was sort of pondering replacing the AOS as a DIY just prior to it blowing up in my face. My P0300 P0301 started coming on last June, and I've been clearing them every now and then, as you had. I was going to replace the plugs and examine the coil packs but now I'll wait and see if the codes return or not. Anyhow, I took the car out today in an attempt to burn off whatever remaining oil that might have been left in the intake and combustion chamber :D It was great fun!

I also followed pmpjuil's thread very closely, and yes, we are from the same city. I'm still waiting for the Robbins top to arrive and for the weather to get a bit warmer. While I was ordering the parts from Sunset Porsche, I couldn't resist their special on the rear speakers and got that as well. Thought I would do that together with the top.

Best regards,

Derek

Hey Derek

Did you take your boxster to MCL or Weissach ? as they both service Porsche in Vancouver......Weissach is cheaper for service...They also have special deals every now and then.... Just a FYI :D

Glad to here that your engine is ok!!!

-Greg

Hey Derek

Did you take your boxster to MCL or Weissach ? as they both service Porsche in Vancouver......Weissach is cheaper for service...They also have special deals every now and then.... Just a FYI :D

Glad to here that your engine is ok!!!

-Greg

Greg:

I went to MCL. I've not tried Weissach before and was a bit skeptical. Thanks for the info and I'll probably give them a try next time. Can't be worst than mcl.

Derek

ARGH!! The new AOS didn't cure the misfires. My P0300 and P0301 are back along with a new P0302. I've cleared them for now. I am running rough on cold starts now, and that's when the misfires appear. After it runs a few minutes, there are no more P-codes but I can still feel the roughness and the occasional miss although no P-codes are registered.

Guess I'll check the coil packs and replace plugs next (which the dealer supposedly done already). Any other other suggestions? And what plugs to use, Beru or Bosch?

Derek

How long have you run the car since the new AOS?

It may take awhile to burn off the oil that has gotten into the intake and fouled the spark plugs.

I would pull a plug or two and have a look to see if they are oil fouled.

Loren,

It's been 500 km since AOS replacement. The Dealer supposedly took great care in cleaning out all the oil from the intake, thus justifying the 5 hours to replace the AOS.

Derek

• 1 month later...
I would still pull those two plugs and have a look at them.

Check the coil pack and cables while you are there.

Update on misfire cylinder #1:

About a month ago, I removed coil pack #1 and #3 for examination. They both looked fine, so I swapped them around, put original #3 into #1 and vice versa. Nothing changed in the misfire status. I'm still getting bad misfiring on cold starts after the car sits for a few hours. Rough idle lasts for about 30 seconds then it is smooth again. Durametric confirms that cylinder #1 is still the one that's misfiring.

So today I finally have time and pulled a couple of plugs to have a look today. I removed them after the car sat for 24 hours. The attached photos show plug from cyl #3 on the left and #1 on the right. I don't know what to make of these so I'm hoping for some opinion from those familiar with diagnosis by looking at these plugs.

I should also say, I have been loosing coolant mysteriously so I'm hoping it isn't a blown head gasket or a crack. I've got the new updated coolant cap, and I don't see any fluid in the trunk floor or behind the passenger seat under the carpets. I do smell coolant during start ups. I don't see any steam or dripping under the engine area. I would say I've lost 2 litres of coolant in the last 2 months, maybe 5000 km of driving.

Suggestions?

Derekpost-12616-1213585614_thumb.jpg

post-12616-1213585584_thumb.jpg

post-12616-1213585593_thumb.jpg

post-12616-1213585602_thumb.jpg

Well, actually, neither plug looks that great to me!! Your left hand plug looks like you may have some coolant (brown fluffy)..the right hand one looks like it is detonating cold...how old and how many miles on the plugs?

Well, actually, neither plug looks that great to me!! Your left hand plug looks like you may have some coolant (brown fluffy)..the right hand one looks like it is detonating cold...how old and how many miles on the plugs?

85000 km (53000 miles). These are original plugs. I've got a set of new Bosch plugs I could put in, but I don't think the plugs are the root of my misfiring problems :(

• 2 weeks later...