Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I was amazed the Corvette Z06, at 175.6 inches, is not any longer in overall length than a 997S. The Corvette always looks so much longer with that huge plastic hood. If you are a contributing member, the Porsche MY08 Fact Book in the Contributing Members Forum makes fascinating late-night reading. Just one more reason to contribute. Porsche compares the Z06 to the GT3 in their documentation, not to the regular Carrera S.

I was on the Sebring Florida track following an '07 Z06, had no problem keeping up in acceleration 60 - 130 on the big straight (03 996X50. no mods) although he did appear to be backing off at top end. He also had issues coming out of Turn 16 getting the power down; the Pcar with the AWD just sling shot out of there.

This greatly depends on how you compare the two cars. As the owner of several Corvettes (including a 2001 Supercharged Coupe with 700HP), IMHO - the 505HP Z06 will eat a Carrera S for breakfast in an all out drag race. Now, it you want to compres the two cars from a handling standpoing, my 2008 Carrera is so much tighter than any of my Corvettes, including the new Z06 I had the liberty to drive. So, sorry to hedge, but the answer is that it depends :cheers:

Sorry Danyol, was not referring to your 2003 TT X50 (now that's a different story vs. a C6-Z06). However, I believe that PeterC4 asked about a stock 997 Carrera S (355hp). Put that side-by-side with a 505hp Z06 and something bad will happen to the car from the father land :)

Now, some day, if you have the time and we can rent a track, your 03 TT X50 vs. my 700hp Supercharged C5 would be a great time :cheers:

Thanks for the responses. I was interested in whether the Corvette has the road feel and handling of the 997S - that intangible factor. I'm sure in an all-out drag race the Covette Z06 would come out ahead, but it would be interesting to drive the two on a track. And as I have learned, a lot depends on whether the driver can launch a manual transmission car effectively. I suppose the GT3 might be more comparable from a pure performance point of view. Certainly the Corvette does have a "value for money" factor about it.

Edited by PeterC4

Peter,

I think you have your answer from 2008 Carrera; the 997 is tighter than the Vettes. It definitely is a personal preference; I've not known many people to go from a Vette to Pcar then back to a Vette :drive:

Now the GT3 is the purest track car IMO, much of the power is at the top end.

I would test drive both the new Vette & the 997s.

Edited by Danyol

Peter,

I think you have your answer from 2008 Carrera; the 997 is tighter than the Vettes. It definitely is a personal preference; I've not known many people to go from a Vette to Pcar then back to a Vette :drive:

Peter,

As a race car, the Z06 is undoubtedly faster than a Carrera S. As a street car, the Carrera S is undoubtedly a better ride. It is tighter, lighter and just more fun. The Porsche shifts better and is more accurate going into corners. The brakes feel better. A Camaro with a big block and nitrous will crush a Z06 off the line; does that make it more fun to drive on vacation. This fun debate has been going on for forty years. The cars are much much faster, but the answer is still the same: I drove a Corvette until I could afford a Porsche! I wouldn't give up my Carrera S for a 1000 horsepower Corvette.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Carrera S vs. Z06, I have owned both cars, although sadly not at that same time. I originally purchased a new 2006 C4S Coupe which failed to excite me and I sold after about 6 months. I then bought a new 2006 Corvette Z06, my first non European car, which excited me greatly. The car's torque was amazing, handling very predictable and stable and brakes were outstanding. Although I did not track this car, I have done more than 1000 track miles in the previous generation Z06 which was good but not nearly as good as the C6 Z06.

The Z06 was also surprisingly compliant for daily road use and the seats while not nearly as good as a Porsche's were quite comfortable on long drives. The Corvette's steering and shifter were also numb and notchy as compared to the presision of a modern 911. The Corvette image was also somewhat of a detractor, but one which is quickly forgotten from behind the wheel. In terms of performance, The Z06 is a monster more comparable to a 997 Turbo, Ferrari 430 or a Gallardo, all of which I have driven In fact, the cars brutal acceleration reminded me more of the Bugatti Veyron than even a Mercielago LP 640. At $75K, the Z06 is just unbelievable value for money, but at $100K it would be criticized for marginal build quality and materials which would be fair at that price point.

I currently own a Carrera S Coupe which I much prefer to my C4S. Comparitively, the car feels lighter and more alive with its better steering response and the slightly narrower body and rear tire width also suits me fine. Neither as exciting a driving experience as the Z06 nor as contained and controlled as the C4S, the Carrera S is my favorite Porsche model for the road. That said, the GT 3 would be my choice were I planning to track a Porsche on a regular basis.

Although I may possibly never again own a Z06, I will fondly remember every drive I had in the car and have recommended the Z06 to several friends and clients in recent years. Everyone should experience the car's performance before drawing an opinion, as this car is far better when driven aggressively than most cars costing twice as much. It also puts a huge grin on your face every time you take it out. :D Not even a Carrera S can do that. B)

Regarding the Carrera S vs. Z06, I have owned both cars, although sadly not at that same time. I originally purchased a new 2006 C4S Coupe which failed to excite me and I sold after about 6 months. I then bought a new 2006 Corvette Z06, my first non European car, which excited me greatly. The car's torque was amazing, handling very predictable and stable and brakes were outstanding. Although I did not track this car, I have done more than 1000 track miles in the previous generation Z06 which was good but not nearly as good as the C6 Z06.

The Z06 was also surprisingly compliant for daily road use and the seats while not nearly as good as a Porsche's were quite comfortable on long drives. The Corvette's steering and shifter were also numb and notchy as compared to the presision of a modern 911. The Corvette image was also somewhat of a detractor, but one which is quickly forgotten from behind the wheel. In terms of performance, The Z06 is a monster more comparable to a 997 Turbo, Ferrari 430 or a Gallardo, all of which I have driven In fact, the cars brutal acceleration reminded me more of the Bugatti Veyron than even a Mercielago LP 640. At $75K, the Z06 is just unbelievable value for money, but at $100K it would be criticized for marginal build quality and materials which would be fair at that price point.

I currently own a Carrera S Coupe which I much prefer to my C4S. Comparitively, the car feels lighter and more alive with its better steering response and the slightly narrower body and rear tire width also suits me fine. Neither as exciting a driving experience as the Z06 nor as contained and controlled as the C4S, the Carrera S is my favorite Porsche model for the road. That said, the GT 3 would be my choice were I planning to track a Porsche on a regular basis.

Although I may possibly never again own a Z06, I will fondly remember every drive I had in the car and have recommended the Z06 to several friends and clients in recent years. Everyone should experience the car's performance before drawing an opinion, as this car is far better when driven aggressively than most cars costing twice as much. It also puts a huge grin on your face every time you take it out. :D Not even a Carrera S can do that. B)

I'm jealous :

1. you bought a brand new 997 C4S . It failed to excite you, so you sold it after 6 months

2. then you bought a new Z06 , which you loved . But , you sold it after a few months anyway.

3. Then , just for the heck of it , you go out and get a 997 S , even though :" it is neither as controlled as your previous C4 S , nor does it put a grin on your face, like the 'vette ......"but you still like it better than any other car because it feels lighter and more alive and it suits you fine.... but it still is not as exciting as the 'vette .... but you think a GT-3 would be better if you would track the car ,except you did not buy it because you don't plan on tracking it....

You must have ordered each new car after driving the previous one for just a few weeks.

If I were to buy a new car every time the ashtray was full , my wife would have a serious discussion with me . Lol

I would have to disagree with your last sentence! ;)

What I do agree with is that you have to drive cars to relate to them, particularly the North American cars. I've yet to drive the Z06 but after driving a rental V6 Mustang in Florida on vacation, I decided to go the Ford dealer - for the first time in my life. The salesman saw me drive up in my C4S and was very attentive. He shortly asked me if I would like to drive the Bullitt. I did and I came away with this impression. It shifted much better than I expected, it was smooth, and relatively effort free. The ride surprised me the most, it was firm, but not bone jarring at all. The handling and road feel were good, but not certainly not comparable to the Porsche, particularly the "dead on" feel you get in the Porsche. The power was very good, and the exhaust note was great. You could certainly get the back end of the car loose. Overall, for $38,000 its a bargain. Heck, its a Ford. But it is certainly a reasonably good car for what you pay for it and it totally surprised me as to ride quality, fit, finish and shifting ease. Good marks to Ford on that one.

Edited by PeterC4

I'm jealous :

1. you bought a brand new 997 C4S . It failed to excite you, so you sold it after 6 months

2. then you bought a new Z06 , which you loved . But , you sold it after a few months anyway.

3. Then , just for the heck of it , you go out and get a 997 S , even though :" it is neither as controlled as your previous C4 S , nor does it put a grin on your face, like the 'vette ......"but you still like it better than any other car because it feels lighter and more alive and it suits you fine.... but it still is not as exciting as the 'vette .... but you think a GT-3 would be better if you would track the car ,except you did not buy it because you don't plan on tracking it....

You must have ordered each new car after driving the previous one for just a few weeks.

If I were to buy a new car every time the ashtray was full , my wife would have a serious discussion with me . Lol

I know I probably sound like a lunatic, but in fairness, I am in the car business. B) I live in NY and keep my sports cars for six-eight months, roughly the length of the driving season in the Northeast. I sell them when I do only to mitigate potential depreciation over the Winter months.

I was originally drawn to the widebody and AWD of the C4S but found the car "too controlled and contained" for my taste. I bought the Z06 to satisfy an urge for a big torquey V8. My previous cars had all been 4 and 6 cylinders only with little or no torque. MINI Cooper S, Lotus Esprit SE, 993 C4S...

The 997 S is to me a perfect blend of rwd purity and steering feel with respectable torque wrapped up in a stylish usable package. No it does't make the blood boil like a Z06 under full acceleration and it won't handle track work as well as a GT3, but for 95% of the time its just about perfect. :)

I just finished running in the Big Bend Open Road Race on Saturday April 26th. There were 152 cars entered and 80% were corvettes. Only 6 Porshes entered and of those 3 had mechanical problems and didn't finish the race. My 2006 997 Carrera S did just fine and was a blast to drive. This is my second Porsche, first was a 2001 996 Carrera. My close friend and my Brother both drive 2007 Corvette Z06s and I got to drive them. Their acceleration off of the line is far superior to the Porsche but handling at 120+ MPH has to go to the Carrera S. Neither of their cars feels like the Porsche in the turns, they feel like the rear is about to slide out even though it's not. Sound levels in both cars are about the same, options are similar but we get a back seat. It takes them 500+ HP to equal my 355 HP. I could have bought either the Vette or the Carrera and my garage has the Porsche. That's my opinion from just having driven both vehicles less than a week ago and at high speeds.

• 11 months later...

Okay, two cents from a former Z06 owner. I have owned a half a dozen Corvettes in the last thirty years. A C2, C3, 3 C4's, 2 C5's and a Victory Red 2007 Z06 C6. The C6 Z06 Corvette crushes my 2008 997 C2S. 0-60 in 3.5 secs for the Z06. The best I could muster in my manual C2S is 4.6. 1/4 mile is hit at 11.7 in the Z06 and 12.6 in the C2S (according to Road and Track) all I could get with my C2S (using a G2X data logger) was 12.8 in the quarter (please excuse me I only have a limited SCCA license and 30 years of street racing experience). I am also a New Yorker (Long Island) and agree with the Z06/C2S assessment of Einmalig (I also believe you had the cars). For the doubters on my vehicles; I purchased my 2007 Victory Red C6 Z06 from PJ at RAMP Chevrolet in March of 2008 and traded it in on a Midnight Blue 2008 C2S from Michael (the owner) of Legend Porsche in Massapequa, NY (1-888-70-PORSCHE, my name is Rich L, he knows me well). However, I believe I did mention I TRADED the Z06 in on a C2S? Exactly. Quick, fast and in a hurry. There is absolutely no comparison in build quality, interior looks and fit/finish, overall image, at the limit handling (notwithstanding a little more front end lift than I would like at speed) and I would never go back to the Z06. I spent three months with the Z06 looking for a place to "loose-the-beast". It's like taxing around an F16. Much more difficult (effort) to drive than the C2S, the car gets so hot you don't need the heater, the GPS was designed by Microsoft Windows Vista programmers, and after an hour of the radio (if you could hear it) you have a splitting headache and sincere desire to punch someone. Z06 yep faster, C2S yep much more refined sports car overall. A spade is a spade is a spade, gotta call it like it is.