Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Question about on-board computer

Hello,

My question is about what I call the information computer; the one that will tell miles per gallon, miles until next fill up, true speed, information like that. I was told that my car has this computer but I don't have the 'forth' stick (on the left bottom of the steering wheel) that one would use to see the different information. I was told that because I have the "Temp" showing, under the Tachometer, that the information is there; if it is in there someplace I don't know how to make it change to the different information?

Am I being 'lead-on' or is there something to this.

By the way, Axel is a 1999 Carrera, with a 6 speed transmission.

Thanks for any help,

C'ya,

Edited by Last Car

• Admin

OBC (On Board Computer) is the correct term.

If your outside temp is showing on the tach display then your OBC is "on".

To see the other displays you need the 4th steering wheel stalk that switches between the various functions - it goes under the turn signal indicator.

A few folks have added a momentary switch on the dash that does the same switches between the various functions.

Both mods have been covered here. But check first and see if you have the 4th stalk.

To see the other displays you need the 4th steering wheel stalk that switches between the various functions - it goes under the turn signal indicator.

A few folks have added a momentary switch on the dash that does the same switches between the various functions.

Both mods have been covered here. But check first and see if you have the 4th stalk.

Loran,

Thanks for the quick reply....I do not have the "forth stalk", but from what you're saying I can add a switch that will 'toggle' between the different functions? I do a search and see if I can find it.

Thanks again for your help,

C'ya,

Hi there,

Here are two links to good write-ups on installing a toggle switch on the dashboard. Not as sophisticated as the mod that adds the fourth stalk, but simple and effective.

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/b...box_obd_mod.htm

The VW part described in the whiteson.com write-up is hard to come by, so I am going with the one from pelicanparts.com. Digikey.com has the molex connectors in stock and I paid about $15 (postage and handling included) for 10 units, although you only need two. Radioshack sells the 22 gauge wire for about $5 per roll and they have a 81 piece set of wire connectors, including the ones you need for this project for about $10. Porsche of North Houston has the switch on order for me for about $45 incl. tax. All in all I should have the OBC mod working for less than $75 and an hour's work.

Let me know if you need any help.

Rgds, Joost

:renntech:

Hi there,

Here are two links to good write-ups on installing a toggle switch on the dashboard. Not as sophisticated as the mod that adds the fourth stalk, but simple and effective.

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/b...box_obd_mod.htm

The VW part described in the whiteson.com write-up is hard to come by, so I am going with the one from pelicanparts.com. Digikey.com has the molex connectors in stock and I paid about $15 (postage and handling included) for 10 units, although you only need two. Radioshack sells the 22 gauge wire for about $5 per roll and they have a 81 piece set of wire connectors, including the ones you need for this project for about $10. Porsche of North Houston has the switch on order for me for about $45 incl. tax. All in all I should have the OBC mod working for less than $75 and an hour's work.

Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks, Joost, for the sites; with the exception of the "VW" wire they appear to be the same? Also, I'm not real sure about the taking off of the instrument 'pod'...is it just held on by two screws?

My real question would be, why not use the correct 'stalk'? Is it due to cost of parts or because one would have to take the steering wheel off?

Thanks again,

C'ya,

Rgds, Joost

:renntech:

Loran,

Okay, I've looked all afternoon and besides what Joost has posted, I haven't found much on making the OBC work in my car. As Joost has said, "the toggle switch is simple" but I can't find anything about a DIY on putting the stalk and related connections on?

I know I'm asking a question that has be asked (maybe many times) before, but I can't find the answer in the search area(there is everything from exhaust to headlights when I put "install OBC stalk" or "OBC switch", for example). I've looked in your DIY area and can't find anything either, so any help would be great.

Thanks, again, for your time,

C'ya,

• Admin

Loran,

Okay, I've looked all afternoon and besides what Joost has posted, I haven't found much on making the OBC work in my car. As Joost has said, "the toggle switch is simple" but I can't find anything about a DIY on putting the stalk and related connections on?

I know I'm asking a question that has be asked (maybe many times) before, but I can't find the answer in the search area(there is everything from exhaust to headlights when I put "install OBC stalk" or "OBC switch", for example). I've looked in your DIY area and can't find anything either, so any help would be great.

C'ya,

Did you look at the two links he posted?

Loran,

C'ya,

Did you look at the two links he posted?

Yes sir, and they are about using a switch - and very good at explaining how to; I'm asking about putting the OEM 'stalk' and wires on instead of using a switch. I'm guessing that trying to put the 'stalk' on isn't the way to go????

Thanks again for your time,

I just added the fourth stalk OBC Mod.

Here is the link:

SELECT HERE

Good Luck!

Thanks you sir, this looks just like what I'm looking for, I'll look through everything today. Not quite sure about what you were saying about the wire already in your car, going to the white plug, but maybe it will become clear after I study your instructions.

Thanks again, this is really helpful.

I have done the dash switch on my car, also use the light on the switch to show when my spoiler is up in conjuction with a spoiler switch. The biggest functional difference between a switch install and a 4 stalk install is that with the stalk you can set the speed/gong, which provides for an alarm if you exceed a specified speed, prbably not something many would often use. This fundtion is not available with the dash switch. Also the stalk is easier to use.

I found a 4 stalk on Ebay last year and will be upgrading to the stalk version this spring.

I have done the dash switch on my car, also use the light on the switch to show when my spoiler is up in conjuction with a spoiler switch. The biggest functional difference between a switch install and a 4 stalk install is that with the stalk you can set the speed/gong, which provides for an alarm if you exceed a specified speed, prbably not something many would often use. This fundtion is not available with the dash switch. Also the stalk is easier to use.

I found a 4 stalk on Ebay last year and will be upgrading to the stalk version this spring.

Thanks for the information...sorry, but I still have a question about the switch? With the 'stalk' can't one 're-set' the different events in the computer? (lets say I an just starting out on trip and I want to start my MPG at that point and not from driving around town from last week) In my Rover I can bring up the MPG and then push the "re-set" it so it starts over. Can this be done by just putting a switch in, or is there part of the 'stalk' that will only let me do this?

Either the 'stalk' or a switch is okay with me, but I really want to be able to "re-set" the different events of the OBC.....and yes I don't really care about the speed/gong because I'm almost always doing that; speed!

Thanks again for your input.

• Moderators

Look at your owners manual and you can see the various OBC displays. In order to change the information displayed you need a switch or a stalk. The stalk is just a fancy switch.

It is like reading a book. When you want to see what is on the next page, you turn the page. That is what the switch/stalk permits you to do.

With the stalk you can cycle back and forth between the displays. With the switch you can only cycle forward. It is like reading a 5 page book. With the switch you start on page 1, then go to page 2, and so on. If you are on page 5 and want to see page 4 then you have to go to 1, 2, 3 in order to get to 4.

With the stalk you can go from page 5 directly to page 4. The stalk has more electrical contacts and wires, so you can cycle forward and back. You can also set the speed gong with the stalk, but not with a single switch.

But, just to confuse you, if you use 2 switches then the switches will act just like the stalk and you can also set the speed gong.

You can reset the displays with the switch or stalk.

Look at your owners manual and you can see the various OBC displays. In order to change the information displayed you need a switch or a stalk. The stalk is just a fancy switch.

It is like reading a book. When you want to see what is on the next page, you turn the page. That is what the switch/stalk permits you to do.

With the stalk you can cycle back and forth between the displays. With the switch you can only cycle forward. It is like reading a 5 page book. With the switch you start on page 1, then go to page 2, and so on. If you are on page 5 and want to see page 4 then you have to go to 1, 2, 3 in order to get to 4.

With the stalk you can go from page 5 directly to page 4. The stalk has more electrical contacts and wires, so you can cycle forward and back. You can also set the speed gong with the stalk, but not with a single switch.

But, just to confuse you, if you use 2 switches then the switches will act just like the stalk and you can also set the speed gong.

You can reset the displays with the switch or stalk.

WOW, you are UP (or is it going to bed) kind of early/late aren't you?

Thanks for the info; I am still trying to find where to get the female plug (that goes into the connector plug) also called the Molex connector? I guess because it is call the VW wire connector I can go to the VW Dealer and get them? Can I get just the "Molex" connector, and just crimp the wire on it, from...say Radio Shack?

I have everything (using the switch) but this "Molex" connector.

Thanks again for your help,