Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

problems with switch sunroof

Hello,

Since last week I've had a problem with my sunroof. The switch with which to open the sunroof, in fact, consists of three switches/positions. In order to tilt the roof, normally, I have to push the round 'button' in the middle of the switch. For some reason this no longer works. First I have to press the 'close-switch' a few times. Then the roof tilts and closes again. Next I can use the 'open switch' to open the sunroof. It then seems to operate fine, but unfortunately not for long.

I have tried the 're-teaching' option. Again this seems to work, but not for long. My idea is that the 'tilt-open-close' cycle loses its memory. Has anyone got an idea what can possibly be wrong, or better yet, know the solution to this problem.

I forgot to mention that I drive a 996 (1998).

Regards,

Jo996

the Netherlands

My sunroof switch loses it's memory a couple times per year. I re-train it and it is fine for several months.

I think this is just a problem with these cars.

Hello Loren,

Thank you for your answer. It wouldn't really be a problem if I had to re-teach the memory of the sunroof a few times per year. In my case, however, it loses its memory within, let's say, 2 or 3 minutes. Where in the car is the memory of the sunroof located. Can the memory be accessed? Can it be replaced? Have you heard of the problem before? Is disconnecting the battery an option? It is a way of re-setting other functions.

My car is due for its annual service this Tuesday. Can my Porsche dealer, for instance, reset the memory. Can they re-train the memory by means of a computer.

I know, ever so many questions, but it would be nice to have some idea of what is wrong with the switch/memory before asking Porsche to have a look at it. I wonder whether they have heard of this problem before and know how to solve it.

I happened to be in Germany on Friday and drove passed a Porsche Centre. I thought it would be a good idea to ask whether they had any idea what could be wrong. The answer I got was most dissatisfying. The mechanic tried the switch and said I had probably pushed the switch too often and therefore it (the sunroof/switch) did these strange things. I'm quite sure I gave the switch/sunroof plenty of time to 'understand' the commands.

Regards,

Jo996

the Netherlands

• Admin

I don't think the sunroof is that smart. I think all the "brains" are in the drive motor/circuit board assembly.

For your older car I wonder if the sunroof drive was upgraded per TSB 12a/98 6014 New Sunroof Drive Motor -- dated 9-10-99.

It says "As of February 1, 1999, and VIN: 99 XXS 62 5423, a new tilting/sliding roof drive assembly with enhanced circuitry is installed in production. The new drive assembly has optimized final-position

settings that result in lower noise levels."

I don't think the sunroof is that smart. I think all the "brains" are in the drive motor/circuit board assembly.

For your older car I wonder if the sunroof drive was upgraded per TSB 12a/98 6014 New Sunroof Drive Motor -- dated 9-10-99.

It says "As of February 1, 1999, and VIN: 99 XXS 62 5423, a new tilting/sliding roof drive assembly with enhanced circuitry is installed in production. The new drive assembly has optimized final-position

settings that result in lower noise levels."

Hello Loren,

Suppose it is the drive motor/circuit board which is at fault. I take it it would have to be replaced. Is it something I can do myself? A very difficult DIY-job? Have you got any idea what a new unit would cost?

Jo996

the Netherlands

• Moderators

The motor/control box is easy to change, don't forget to look at or ask Loren for basic adjust instructions before starting the learning procedure.

• 3 months later...
The motor/control box is easy to change, don't forget to look at or ask Loren for basic adjust instructions before starting the learning procedure.

I have the exact same symptoms. I've tried reprogramming (works for a minute or two), I've looked for dust etc... around the switch itself but in vain...

Did anyone come up with a quick reason / solution on this issue aside from going into service and replacing the whole control/switch/motor lot?

Please advise.

JW

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Loren, what is the procedure to "retrain" the sunroof to its opening and closing positions. Mine in a 1999 C4 stops before the correct end positions, or reaches the closed position and then slides back to 4 inches open. Thanks for your help.