Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Litronic Headlight

• Admin

Are you sure about the part number? It is not in my price list. There is a 996.631.158.01 though?

Another possibility is that that number has been replaced with a newer number (but quite some time ago as my list goes back to 2001).

There are some differences in the part numbers between cars delivered in Europe and USA. The number above is a European number for a Litronic headlight, but I don't know if it's a BI-Xenon headlight or not.

When was the BI-Xenon light introduced in the Boxster?

You were right Loren, there are no BI-Xenon headlight for the Boxster. This is an information from my local dealer.

The part number must have been replaced, but that is not so important for me, the main thing was about the BI-Xenon.

Hallo

I checked the part numbers and I found out that I have made a mistake. The right numbers are: 996.631.057.01 and 996.631.057.02

Do you know about any differences between the number you told me above and these.

Both should be Xenon headlights, perhaps the number was changed but technically they are identical.

Turro

I want to retrofit Litronic headlights. I got the numbers from ebay auctions. There seem to be two different part numbers, and I first thougt that one are BI-Xenon and the others normal Xenon.

I would like to know if I can buy two headlights with different part numbers and build them into my car.

But when you can not find the numbers, then I don't know where the people selling the headlights get them from.

• Moderators

Litronic is a trade name from Bosch or Porsche for xenons. Bi-Xenons came out in 2001 for the turbo and in 2002 for the 996 as an option. Those are made by Hella. There is no such thing as Bi-Xenons for a Boxster as the shape of the headlight is different, unless you retrofit the front of the car to make it look like a turbo/facelift 996.

Have the seller send you a picture of the part number and then we can figure it out. For litronics it will start with 996, but they also fit a 986.

Also, you may need the headlight washers to pass inspection. This is covered on the German Boxster board. It depends on the year of your car.

post-27-1086212864_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a 2001 pre-facelift Carrera Cabriolet. One of the standard H7 headlights and the front bumper is cracked. As I have to replace them anyway, I was thinking of facelifting the car to the post 2002 style with Xenon lights.

I have found these headlights listed below:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1

How much additional work would be required to install these, if indeed they will fit at all? From reading around, I think I also need to replace the front bumper, fenders (wings) and wiring loom at the front, but have no definitive answer. If someone points me in the right direction, I'll try to photograph and document the facelift procedure.

• 1 month later...
Litronic is a trade name from Bosch or Porsche for xenons. Bi-Xenons came out in 2001 for the turbo and in 2002 for the 996 as an option....

Hi, Loren. I'm confused by use of the terms Litronic and bi-Xenon in this forum. They seem to be used interchangeably. I understand that Litronic means low beam HID and bi-xenon means high/low beam HID. My car, 2002 996 C2, has Option 601-headlamp litronic. A search on the Web does not indicate an option for bi-Xenon. Can you clarify the difference? What is the option code for bi-Xenon, if it exists? TIA.

PS My car also has Option 226 the description of which I cannot find anywhere. Does anyone know what 226 is?

• Admin

Remember these are Porsche (only) terms and refer to lighting systems on Porsches.

Litronic was an option on the Boxster (986) from MY97 through MY05.

MY99 through MY01 Carrera's (996) also had "Litronic" headlights as options.

Bi-Xenon are options on all the newer cars and MY02 - MY05 996 Carrera's, all TT's/GT2 and MY04 and later GT3.

Technically speaking, there is no difference between "Litronic" and "Xenon". Both systems are based on the principle of the gas discharge lamp. Trademark protection of different manufacturers accounts for the different system names.

The difference is that the earlier Litronic headlights used a xenon bulb for the low beams and a halogen bulb (combined with the Litronic bulb beam) for high beams.

Bi-Xenon headlights use xenon bulbs for both low beam and high beam. Unfortunately the design (shape) of the headlight assembly changed for the Bi-Xenon headlights and they can not be fitted to older cars without changing the front fenders and front bumper.

Probably more than you wanted to know... ;)

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

From a quick Google search it looks like the "Litronic" trade name for HID/Xenon belongs to Bosch, not Porsche. According to this, Bosch did come out with a Bi-Litronic, for the Audi A8. http://aa.bosch.de/advastaboschaa/Product....B&publication=1

I guess if Bosch instead of Hella got the contract for the facelift 996/turbo then the xenon lights would be called Bi-Litronics.

The 987 Bi-Xenon lights are made by Koito. http://www.koito-ind.co.jp/english/index.html

It looks like the original 601 option code for litronics never changed when the Bi-Xenons came out.

The difference is that the earlier Litronic headlights used a xenon bulb for the low beams and a halogen bulb (combined with the Litronic bulb beam) for high beams.

Bi-Xenon headlights use xenon bulbs for both low beam and high beam. Unfortunately the design (shape) of the headlight assembly changed for the Bi-Xenon headlights and they can not be fitted to older cars without changing the front fenders and front bumper.

Loren:

Some of my confusion was due to noticing a regular halogen bulb in the high beam location. The 2002 owner's manual calls this the supplemental high beam for bi-xenon installations. When I switch on the high beams I can see the xenon high beam as well as the more yellowish halogen beam.

It looks like the original 601 option code for litronics never changed when the Bi-Xenons came out.

TP (Jeff?): I located this code on several sites. Porsche Exclusiv lists Option P74 as "Xenon Headlamp Package - Xenon Headlamp Package with dynamic leveling and headlight washers".

• Admin

The difference (I wasn't very clear above) is that in the Litronics system the high beam primary is Halogen and there is only a partial mix in with the Xenon lamp.

In the Bi-Xenon system the lens is used to widen the beam path for high beam. So the primary high beam (as well as low beam) in the Bi-Xenon system is the Xenon lamp. In this case the Halogen lamp is just an additional beam with high beams only.

Porsche states the advantages of the Bi-Xenon system introduced in MY02 as:

The "Bi-Xenon" system offers the following advantages in high-beam mode:

- Xenon high-beam headlights

- lowering the beam mask provides a wide and very brightly lit illumination zone even at long range (particularly important on winding roads)

- supplementary halogen headlights ensure long-range illumination (important when driving at high speeds along straight roads)

- considerably better switching behaviour when flashing the headlights as well as improved homogeneity compared to previous gas-discharge systems

Order guide option numbers do not always equal parts list option codes as many times they are sold as "packages". What does the sticker under your front hood say? M601 or P74? Either would be still be correct.

Got it!

Actually for me the handling and power of the 996 are a given. What I really appreciate on the car are the low beam light pattern (I leave for work when it is dark along Moraga Way - twisty with big potholes and deer), the high beams (they bore a hole along Moraga Way), and the side mirrors. The mirrors' field of coverage and lack of blind spots are just about the best of all the cars I've owned over the years.

The ID paper under the trunk has 601. The different codes do get confusing.

I'm still trying to find out what Option 226 is.

The wife and I drive up to Healdsberg today, early to avoid traffic. We returned via Alexander Valley, Knights Valley, Calistoga, etc. Great drive! (except for the guy in the silver Mustang who would brake in the middle of turns. There was no room to pass him.)

Thanks for all of your help.