Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Thank you / Low Temperature / Driver's Ed

I recently purchased my first Porsche, a 996 TT with 20,000 miles, in FL and drove it back to NY in April. Three days and two nights of pure driving enjoyment. It certainly added some miles to the car, but a great experience. This website has been so helpful, especially to a new buyer/owner. So thank you Loren and all the other contributing members.

On the drive home, the left headlight went out and the temp gauge low warning light came on. I found a repair shop and the light just had a loose wire. They diagnosed the temp problem (Fault P0116) as a faulty water tank cap, coolant regulator, and heater water value. They replaced the parts, filled and bled the coolant and I have not had another warning light since. But, the temperature gauge after warm up, stays on the cool side at 180, not at 12 o'clock as the manual states. Should I be concerned? Anyone else have this problem?

The car came with only one key and no front license plate holder, so I ordered from Sunset Imports. I can endorse all the positive recommendations. They are helpful, priced right, and quick.

My first mod was hardwiring my radar detector. I am reasonably handy around the house, but I have no real experience tinkering with cars. I found this

http://www.geocities.com/porschecarrera996...v3_document.htm

link and installed it in about three hours. I went very slowly, but it is very easy to follow. I didn't make the sleeve and used a different spot for the ground.

I signed up for my first Driver's Ed in July. I know I need to get a helmet, fire extinguisher, and check out. but I have been hearing/reading many other suggestions as well. Do you think I need a clear coat to protect the paint? Is painters tape OK? Headlight covers? I am all about cost/benefit. I'll spend the money, if it is worth it down the road. Any other beginner/simple mods before I head out to the track?

I have been driving a 1990 500SL for the past 10 years. It is in mint condition and I still love to drive it, but was ready to finally get the car that was on my bedroom wall all during my youth in the 80s. Every time I walk up to this Blue Monster I have a big smile on my face.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading.

:renntech:

• Admin

:welcome:

P0116 Engine Temperature – Signal Implausible

Possible fault cause:

- Thermostat (permanently open)

- Open coolant shutoff valve (only Tiptronic vehicles)

- Wiring

- Temperature sensor faulty

- DME control module faulty

I hope they did that work under warranty - because it sure looks like they shotgunned it instead of finding the root cause.

I would not worry if it does not pass the zero in 180.

Still you might want to check and clean the front intakes (in front of the radiators).

:welcome:

P0116 Engine Temperature – Signal Implausible

Possible fault cause:

- Thermostat (permanently open)

- Open coolant shutoff valve (only Tiptronic vehicles)

- Wiring

- Temperature sensor faulty

- DME control module faulty

I hope they did that work under warranty - because it sure looks like they shotgunned it instead of finding the root cause.

I would not worry if it does not pass the zero in 180.

Still you might want to check and clean the front intakes (in front of the radiators).

Thanks for the quick response.

I looked at the intakes (left, center, right) and there are no major obstructions, but it looks like there are some small peebles and debris.

I am not sure of the best way to remove these or if they matter (see photo).

I uploaded a photo of the right front intake and it has a plastic cap (unconnected) and a small opening that it looks like the cap it fits into.

I couldn't find anything in the manual on this, could this be the culprit?

Thanks again.

post-29173-1211655225_thumb.jpg

First of all, welcome to the TT side of the house...since you've already found RennTech, you've done yourself a favor by posting questions...I'm sure you'll find this a friendly place with lots of guys willing to help out.

That doo-dad you're talking about should be your temperature probe for the outside temp readout...it looks like it's come out of the round receptacle that it's supposed to be pushed into....just take it and pushe it in there with the point facing forward.

If your car is running at the 180 mark I wouldn't worrry about that...it's when it runs hot that I start watching it. I agree with Loren...looks like they sold you the entire kit and kaboodle for anything that even might be remotely connected to a temp issue when probably all you really needed was a new cap....they do leak sometimes.

With regard to the "stuff" that collects in your radiators....I went to one of the stores...think it was the tool section of Home Depot and bought the extra long extension for the flat vacuum attachment that usually comes with a shop vac. This extension is about 12 inches long and since the front slats are flexible, you can get the whole attachment in there by spreading the slats open slightly.... even with some of the vacuum hose.....I wiggle it all around in there as far back into the corners as it will go and pull out as much STUFF as I can.....then I reverse the vacuum and using the same attachment, blow out the entire area....a LOT of stuff comes out.....but it won't get out the crapola that's sandwiched between the front radiators and the condenser....you have to take off the front bumper to do a proper job. Look up the DIY for that project here on RennTech....I think there's one with pics posted by ToolPants. It's not a bad job and only involves taking off about 15 or so push pins and screws. I actually found two dead sparrows in my right radiator...along with the usual highway clutter...cigarette butts, leaves, dead bug bodies etc. Sandwich bags can be bad because they cover so much area if they're sucked in there.

Thanks Chuck, it is invaluable to get real advice from experienced owners who are dealing with the same issues, it takes the fear out of DIY.

I'll fix that cap and it looks like I have a fun DIY coming up. Hopefully no sparrows, I had to remove a dead chipmunk from my Pilot last year, not fun.

I signed up for my first Driver's Ed in July. I know I need to get a helmet, fire extinguisher, and check out. but I have been hearing/reading many other suggestions as well. Do you think I need a clear coat to protect the paint? Is painters tape OK? Headlight covers? I am all about cost/benefit. I'll spend the money, if it is worth it down the road. Any other beginner/simple mods before I head out to the track?

I'd like to offer my two cents worth about your first DE. DON'T DO IT! I did one, then another, then another.... Now I'm doing $10K worth of upgrades to my engine and suspension. But it's so much fun! First the helmet - you may be able to borrow a friends motorcycle helmet or rent one at the track. Try not to buy one for your first event. You don't need a fire extinguisher- they have plenty of safety equipment at the track. Most PCA DEs require fresh brake fluid - check your local DE rules. In fact, that's probably your best place to start - they'll tell you what you have to do. Don't clear coat your paint unless you're obsessive about appearance. If you track it, it will get dings, live with it. Painters tape for what? Numbers? From my experience, I went to a sign store and had them make magnetic numbers for me, in accordance with the DE rules for size. It only cost about $70 for three sets - left, front and right. Don't make any real mods to the car until you've done a seasons worth of DEs, then decide if you want a track car or a pleasure car and recognize the compromises you'll have to make for each.

ENJOY and welcome.

As far as helmets go, renting or borrowing at the event might work. Motorcycle might not. You need to check the rules and what Snell (is that still the certification body?) rating is required.

Sorry I've lost track of helmets since I quit A/X and sold my bike.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update,

It has been two months since I had the low temperature issue and now after warmup it runs right between the 8 and zero no matter what the temperature is outside (over 100 in NY recently), with or without A/C, and I typically drive aggressively on the quiet roads on my way to work. So, hopefully this is an issue of the past. I vaccumed the front radiators and I think the Blue Monster is smoking behind my back, I am guessing 20 cigarette butts came out. I am getting the tech inspection in a couple of weeks for my first Driver's Ed in July. Thanks again.

B)

• 3 months later...

Further update, I guess this is becoming my minor blog. I now have 3 days of DE under my belt and the car is holding up well. No issues on the track. I bought a helmet and skipped the clear coat and fire extinguisher (not needed until the Yellow run group). After cleaning the car today, I noticed that the brakes pads look worn, but no cracks in the rotors. The tire wear looks worn on the top part of the side rails on the fronts, OK on the rears. My friend mentioned my tires were squealing quite a bit. I currently have Bridgestone Potenzas S-02 A.

So, looking to get new pads and maybe new tires. After reading many pages here and on other sites, looks like I will get Pagid Yellows and Sumi HTR Z III when needed. Any thoughts?