Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PST2 Manual of Features/Functions

I saw the other thread which had the PDF file of the operation manual. While that's OK for just getting started there really isn't much good info in there. I am wondering if there is a mnaual or guids that shows what each menu item does. I am scared to go to half the menu items for fear of screwing things up and would like to know before I mess around anymore what each menu item does. Is there anything like that out there??

• Admin

Too bad for you... the Porsche (NA) Tech training classes used to be in Las Vegas. I think they are only in Atlanta now - but then you would need to get hired by a dealership first. ;)

Ask your questions here and some folks that are more familiar with the tools will try to answer them.

Too bad for you... the Porsche (NA) Tech training classes used to be in Las Vegas. I think they are only in Atlanta now - but then you would need to get hired by a dealership first. ;)

Ask your questions here and some folks that are more familiar with the tools will try to answer them.

Loren,

There are a ton of helpful people here and at the time I don't have any specific questions. More or less just want to know what all the menus do. Certainly I could follow the shop manuals which have the PST2 keystrokes in them but didn't really want to go through 2000+ pages :o

Loren,

There are a ton of helpful people here and at the time I don't have any specific questions. More or less just want to know what all the menus do. Certainly I could follow the shop manuals which have the PST2 keystrokes in them but didn't really want to go through 2000+ pages :o

You can try most of the options to change display or reset and see what does what. Its hard to mess things up with an actual PST2 or PST2 program that can't be quickly and easily fixed. The only time to be cautous would be if you are reprogaming. The rest makes for a very interesting adventure between you, your car and the PST2.

Example of what I'd like to know is what are the options for customizing the alarm, window operations, etc... Creature comfort things. Isn't there something like that which you can do with the PST2?

EDIT - It's the "coding" menus which really scare me :o

Side note - I did mess around with the "drive links" in a couple of the modules. It's pretty **** cool to turn fans on and off and the like :) (like a kid in a candy store)

Edited by slant911

Example of what I'd like to know is what are the options for customizing the alarm, window operations, etc... Creature comfort things. Isn't there something like that which you can do with the PST2?

EDIT - It's the "coding" menus which really scare me :o

Side note - I did mess around with the "drive links" in a couple of the modules. It's pretty **** cool to turn fans on and off and the like :) (like a kid in a candy store)

If you start up the PST2 with the PC-card removed you can run the program in Simulation Mode. Then you can play to your heart's content without risk of messing anything up.

And you think the PST2 is complicated, just wait until you play with a PIWIS :o

If you start up the PST2 with the PC-card removed you can run the program in Simulation Mode. Then you can play to your heart's content without risk of messing anything up.

Are the modules "active" in this mode? i.e. can you go to the modules and actually get things to happen?

I have not turned it on with the card removed but after turning it on and not hooked up to a car you really can't go anywhere as none of the modules are "active".

Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I saw the other thread which had the PDF file of the operation manual...

I searched high and low for the other thread and could not find it. Do you still have it bookmarked? Thanks.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ost&p=44231

I've been using a Durametric and just today acquired a PC based PST-2. It looks familiar and I've been able to convert the units to US and have read everything in the help files. It took me a while to figure out what keys do what (the keyboard map in the help section is too small to read).

How do I save my configuration changes and properly shutoff the PC? The help file says to back it the whole way back to the startup page and then shut the unit off. Is this the proper procedure for a PC based unit?

Also what is the best way to backup the hard drive so that I can recreate it?

TIA

• Admin
How do I save my configuration changes and properly shutoff the PC?
If you set them in the PST2 config page at the startup screen then they are saved.

The help file says to back it the whole way back to the startup page and then shut the unit off. Is this the proper procedure for a PC based unit?
According to Porsche and Bosch - yes.

Just like you would any other hard drive - make an image of the drive. I use a product called Acronis True Image Home.

I take the drive out and put it in an external USB drive caddy and then use Acronis to back it up to (file) on another machine.

How do I save my configuration changes and properly shutoff the PC?
If you set them in the PST2 config page at the startup screen then they are saved.

The help file says to back it the whole way back to the startup page and then shut the unit off. Is this the proper procedure for a PC based unit?
According to Porsche and Bosch - yes.

Just like you would any other hard drive - make an image of the drive. I use a product called Acronis True Image Home.

I take the drive out and put it in an external USB drive caddy and then use Acronis to back it up to (file) on another machine.

Great info, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

My PST-2 works great but the Dell Laptop (C610) is really beat up and I am concerned it will not last long.

Any advice on moving the card and program to a new or newer laptop?

Where can I get a longer OBD-2 cable?

TIA

My PST-2 works great but the Dell Laptop (C610) is really beat up and I am concerned it will not last long.

Last time I looked into this the IBM 600E is a good laptop because is color, faster, supports windows 3.11. Parts for and the laptop itself are very cheap right now on ebay.

• Admin

Last time I looked into this the IBM 600E is a good laptop because is color, faster, supports windows 3.11. Parts for and the laptop itself are very cheap right now on ebay.

I agree that will work too.

Make sure whatever laptop you move it to - that you can get video drivers for Windows 3.1.1 (yes, before Windows 95). Some of the old Toshiba's are good for this.

Chances are you will have to make a longer cable.

Thanks for the help guys, but has anyone found a way to run this on a new laptop?

Is there such a thing as an OBD-2 extension cord or are the pin outs on the car side unique to a Porsche?

• 2 months later...

TIA

Hi, you can Diassemable your DELL to take out your HDD and purchase a DELL C600,C610,or C640 LAPTOP, The HDD are the same for all 3 of them, You can purchase one on EBAY in VERY GOOD condition with NO HDD so you dont have to Disassemble the one you buy on EBAY. If you need help Disassemabiling it EBAY also sells the MANNUELS., concerning the card, the PST2 will automatically pick it up. :thumbup:

:help: :help: This is my situation and hopefully you can help, i have V22 or PIWIS & PST2 on a IBM T30 HDD the only thing i need is a "card" as you mentioned, would you happen to have a spare PST2 card or know someone that could SELL me one. :thankyou: :help:

post-42415-1244817902_thumb.jpg

• Admin

TIA

Hi, you can Diassemable your DELL to take out your HDD and purchase a DELL C600,C610,or C640 LAPTOP, The HDD are the same for all 3 of them, You can purchase one on EBAY in VERY GOOD condition with NO HDD so you dont have to Disassemble the one you buy on EBAY. If you need help Disassemabiling it EBAY also sells the MANNUELS., concerning the card, the PST2 will automatically pick it up. :thumbup:

:help: :help: This is my situation and hopefully you can help, i have V22 or PIWIS & PST2 on a IBM T30 HDD the only thing i need is a "card" as you mentioned, would you happen to have a spare PST2 card or know someone that could SELL me one. :thankyou: :help:

Check for the Bosch interface cards on European eBay - they show up there from time to time.