Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

does this mean my engine bore liner is cracking

1999 c4 cab gone to dealer to sort out tip issue but thats a whole new topic which is already posted .

however my water expansion tank seems fine only red colour antifreeze present but when you remove oil filler cap you find small amount of milky white stuff on the fill nozzle and behind the yellow oil filler cap is this normal condensation >??

or is it early signs of porous bore liner problem ??

your input would be appreciated car runs fine at the moment no over heating etc ....

mileage is 56000 with full OPC service history...post-31673-1212277736.jpg

THATS correct I dont drive the car and it only gets started to move out of the drive occasionally when I need the access otherwise it has not moved much in the last 3 to 4 moths so i guess it is normal then worried aboiut this bore liner issue as car is out of warranty and I guess it is a ticking time bomb could happen any day.

I guess their is more chance of it happening if the engine gets hot !!!

I wonder what is normal operating temp for these cars ???

• Admin
THATS correct I dont drive the car and it only gets started to move out of the drive occasionally when I need the access otherwise it has not moved much in the last 3 to 4 moths so i guess it is normal then worried aboiut this bore liner issue as car is out of warranty and I guess it is a ticking time bomb could happen any day.

I don't think how much you drive has anything to do with it. If is going to happen then it will happen.

The percentage of cars (compared to overall sales) is pretty small.

There are a lot of Boxsters out there will well over 100,000 miles and no engine failures.

I don't think how much you drive has anything to do with it. If is going to happen then it will happen.

There are a lot of Boxsters out there will well over 100,000 miles and no engine failures.

sorry i am a silly newbie who posted this post in the wrong section

I have a 1999 996 C4 tip S cab and I worry over the bore liner prob sleepless nights lol after market warranties are not worth the paper they are written on when you have a claim they will default it some how ....

I know these cars have an issue you hear it oh so often the local indy has 10 bore liner engines sitting in his work shop

• Admin

sorry i am a silly newbie who posted this post in the wrong section

I have a 1999 996 C4 tip S cab and I worry over the bore liner prob sleepless nights lol after market warranties are not worth the paper they are written on when you have a claim they will default it some how ....

I know these cars have an issue you hear it oh so often the local indy has 10 bore liner engines sitting in his work shop

Your concerns have been replied to elsewhere - I think we have seen enough "the sky is falling messages".

You should also read ... Reliability of 996 Engines, Article by Jim Pasha

Your picture is quite normal, more miles driving means less of the mayonaise.

This is caused by frequent short runs in which the engine gets a short time at opperating temperature and is shut off, (short runs) this creates much more condensation, the condensation which formes droplets of water gets thrashed and mixed with the oil and emulsifies, then when the engine is at opperating temperature the moisture and emulsified oil becomes like steam, this then cools and forms the mayonaise.

Short runs need more frequent oil changes, not simply to prevent the mayonaise but because more moisture in the oil will cause the oil to breakdown a little quicker.

Oil has antioxidents and they have to work harder or become less effective the more moisture is added.

Dont worry about it, your engine will not suddenly die because of it, it is perfectly normal