Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2001 Boxster S OBC

I'm looking for confirmation that the OBC hack can be done on a 2001 Boxster S. I've read all the OBC forum information and have purchased the 4 column switch to replace the existing 3 column. From all of these forums it appears that this should be straight forward as long as I get a dealer to turn on the OBC code. I called the closest Porsche dealer to get the re-programming done and the tech says he has done many of these however on certain models it can't be done without replacing the instrument cluster. He checked my VIN and said I have the wrong instrument cluster and need a different one. He even went on to say that he doesn't understand why the forums says it can be done. Am I getting the real story from the service tech? Do I look for another tech? How can I tell if I have the right or wrong instrument cluster?

2001 Boxster S

3.2L 6 speed US

Maybe you need to talk to a different dealer, or find someone close by with a PST2 or PIWIS who can enable the OBC for you. My dealer did it for my on my 2001 Boxster. As far as wrong instrument cluster, see http://www.brackenrig.net/OBC_Hack.htm and look at the the section on 2002 cars. Is this what your dealer is talking about? The wiring and connectors changed in 2001, so make sure the instructions you are using are for the correct model year. Starting in 2001, you don't need to cut/splice any of the VW wires

Maybe TP is saying it can't be done so you will buy one of his DVDs

Tool Pants , why can't it be done? Do I really have a different instrument cluster? Can the service tech identify which type of cluster I have from the VIN?

The closest Porsche dealer is a three hour drive away and I'm not aware of any independant technicians with a PST2 or PIWIS system within the same area. I've looked at the link that says it should work however there appears to be some doubt. Is there another way to check this out? All I really wanted is the outside temperature display. Any other way of getting this done? Should I just go to the dealer and take a chance on the reprogramming to see if it will work?

• Admin
Tool Pants , why can't it be done? Do I really have a different instrument cluster? Can the service tech identify which type of cluster I have from the VIN?

The closest Porsche dealer is a three hour drive away and I'm not aware of any independant technicians with a PST2 or PIWIS system within the same area. I've looked at the link that says it should work however there appears to be some doubt. Is there another way to check this out? All I really wanted is the outside temperature display. Any other way of getting this done? Should I just go to the dealer and take a chance on the reprogramming to see if it will work?

Where are you located?

Hookoo3,

I had a similar experience try to enable the OBC on my 2003 Boxster. The local dealer told me that it cannot be done even after I showed them the PCA link for the steps. I also offered to show them Tool Pants’ DVDs but …

As Tool Pants said on my thread 2003 OBC Help (SF Bay Area), they are mechanics not DIY hackers. I guess this is something they are not too interested in.

My Boxster is still not OBC enabled yet. :(

Peter

• Moderators

Ok, I confess. We have done 2001s before. Started doing them 7 years ago.

Here is a picture from a few months ago of a 2001. On that car we did it with the switch because the owner has long legs and did not want to do it with the stalk.

post-4-1217587445_thumb.jpg

With the advent of the MY01 Boxster, the instrument cluster changed fairly extensively. CAN Bus operations, display presentations, including the OBC display....if you had the factory installed OBC. The display went from lighted segment numbers (like the digital speedometer), to a dot matrix display which gave better resolution of the numerical display and the ability to display a greater range of icons and warning symbols. Regardless of the instrument cluster installed, the OBC can be "turned on" and displayed. For the owners who have MY01-MY04 cars, if you don't have option M659 you don't have factory OBC, but your instrument cluster can still display the OBC in the older, lighted segment format, i.e., Outside Air Temperature, Average Fuel Consumption, Average Speed, Calculated Range Remaining, Digital Trip Odometer and Cruise Speed Over-speed Signal. With the exception of the Outside Air Temperature, all other displays can be reset to zero. In the case of the Over-speed Signal, it can be set to a desired speed or turned completely off.

For owners of MY03 Boxsters, there is a chance, for unknown reasons, that the car's type order code was not originally entered onto the DME. If this the case, determined by checking with a PST2/PIWIS, the OBC cannot be turned on. You must first enter the type order code in the DME then proceed to the instrument cluster page on the PST2/PIWIS to actually turn on the OBC. The type order codes are:

986310 Boxster (986311 ROW Boxster), and

986320 Boxster S (986321 ROW Boxster S).

There are many threads on this site covering the installation of the four stalk switch unit and the wiring of both the MY97-MY00 cars and the MY01-MY04 cars. In any car there is no need to cut/splice any of the existing wiring. Four wires are added.

Bill

Yes, the info is all over the Internet and well documented but the problem is finding someone has the Porsche Tester, knowing how, and willing to do it. Going to the dealership is like pulling teeth. <_<

Peter

• Admin
Yes, the info is all over the Internet and well documented but the problem is finding someone has the Porsche Tester, knowing how, and willing to do it. Going to the dealership is like pulling teeth. <_<

Peter

There is a list here of people with testers that are willing to help.

Including me - and i have both a PST2 and PIWIS.

Loren,

PM Sent.

Thanks!

Peter

Peter

There is a list here of people with testers that are willing to help.

Including me - and i have both a PST2 and PIWIS.

Success, I now have an operational OBC. Thanks to all and this site for the great information. A few suggestions for those that might try this.

1. I would recommend installing the OBC switch before having the OBC enabled. I think this makes it easier for the technician to verify the programming and for the PIWIS to know that it can be enabled.

2. You need five of the 000-979-009 wires to make the wiring harness for a 2001 Boxster S

3. I added the OBC switch to the existing 3 switch column. It was easier to remove the switch from the new 4 column switch I purchased and adding it to the existing column switch. This meant I didn't have to take the airbag and steering wheel off.

4. I was also able to have the OBC readout and AC to be in Celcius.

• Admin

Glad you got it straightened out - we knew it could be done.

A few of clarifications:

1. That has been stated here before. You will see nothing on aMY01 or newer Boxster (MY02 or newer Carrera) until you have a switch.

2. Also covered here.

Success, I now have an operational OBC. Thanks to all and this site for the great information. A few suggestions for those that might try this.

1. I would recommend installing the OBC switch before having the OBC enabled. I think this makes it easier for the technician to verify the programming and for the PIWIS to know that it can be enabled.

2. You need five of the 000-979-009 wires to make the wiring harness for a 2001 Boxster S

3. I added the OBC switch to the existing 3 switch column. It was easier to remove the switch from the new 4 column switch I purchased and adding it to the existing column switch. This meant I didn't have to take the airbag and steering wheel off.

4. I was also able to have the OBC readout and AC to be in Celcius.

Good for you! Are there any tips you can share adding the 4th stalk? The wirteups I got all have the steering wheel taking off.

Thanks!

Peter

The first objective is to remove the column steering housing. First extend the steering wheel to it's maximum telescoping length. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and you will see 2 screws in the housing. Then turn the wheel completely to the left and you will see two more screws and remove them. You will also need to remove 1 screw on each side of the column housing. There are 2 plastic clips on the bottom of the housing that you just push out and the housing assembly will come apart. You will then have access to the column switch and on the bottom left you will have the mounting location. In putting the housing back together I found it important to line up the bottom plastic tabs first. The tabs are part of the inside cable housing holders and can move easily. Keep it all lined up and it should go back together.

The first objective is to remove the column steering housing. First extend the steering wheel to it's maximum telescoping length. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and you will see 2 screws in the housing. Then turn the wheel completely to the left and you will see two more screws and remove them. You will also need to remove 1 screw on each side of the column housing. There are 2 plastic clips on the bottom of the housing that you just push out and the housing assembly will come apart. You will then have access to the column switch and on the bottom left you will have the mounting location. In putting the housing back together I found it important to line up the bottom plastic tabs first. The tabs are part of the inside cable housing holders and can move easily. Keep it all lined up and it should go back together.

HooKoo3,

Great tips. Thanks!

Peter