Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible top removal

I just bought a 2002 S. The top is in overall good shape but the rear window is shot. I have been through various forums and concluded I should be able to get the window replaced (or do it myself) rather than a completely new top at this point. I went to a local sailmaker who can do the job for $150, but needs the canvas top removed from the car. He can't work with the bows still installed, it needs to be off the frame completely, so the great descriptions I've read on how to take out the whole top out aren't going to help. I've already ordered the Bentley service manual because I know I'll find it handy (been good for my other cars). Can anyone tell me if it will describe removal/replacement of the top? Also, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me if this is a job for a pretty handy amateur or only for a seasoned mechanic?

I just bought a 2002 S. The top is in overall good shape but the rear window is shot. I have been through various forums and concluded I should be able to get the window replaced (or do it myself) rather than a completely new top at this point. I went to a local sailmaker who can do the job for $150, but needs the canvas top removed from the car. He can't work with the bows still installed, it needs to be off the frame completely, so the great descriptions I've read on how to take out the whole top out aren't going to help. I've already ordered the Bentley service manual because I know I'll find it handy (been good for my other cars). Can anyone tell me if it will describe removal/replacement of the top? Also, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me if this is a job for a pretty handy amateur or only for a seasoned mechanic?

slotsmd:

A "pretty handy amateur" withs LOTS of patience and the ability to pay attention to detail can get a good result with about 8 to 10 hours of work. That includes removal and reinstallation.

If you follow the instructions on Mike Focke's website to the letter, you should be able to accomplish the task.

If you run into any roadblocks, post here and we'll walk you through any obstacles.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks gents. I'm going to do disassembly Saturday. Those instructions you steered me to are fantastic - I feel pretty confident about the project and already have the spare clamping rails purchased and in hand. On a 2002 how much do I need to worry about the cables? In the maintenance records from the previous owner I see the right side top transmission/cable were replaced about 20 months ago. Should I do the other cable while the top is off?

Thanks gents. I'm going to do disassembly Saturday. Those instructions you steered me to are fantastic - I feel pretty confident about the project and already have the spare clamping rails purchased and in hand. On a 2002 how much do I need to worry about the cables? In the maintenance records from the previous owner I see the right side top transmission/cable were replaced about 20 months ago. Should I do the other cable while the top is off?

slotsmd:

If you have the "ribbed" cables (which is very likely on MY 2002), you don't have to worry about replacing that cable.

In any event, replacing a cable is not any harder or more involved while the top is still on (or after you install the new top).

I would wait until and if that cable starts to malfunction before replacing it, and just be aware of any symptoms that might point to replacing the cable. Remember to pay attention that both sides of the clamshell are going up and down at the same time and that it stays level as it is operating up and down.

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 weeks later...

Step one complete - I got the canvas off last night in about 3 hours working very carefully. There were a couple of very minor differences from the instructions I got off Mike Focke's site (torx size for some screws, and my top was missing the strip along the rear bow used to wedge the canvas into what the directions called slot 2), but I didn't have any hitches. No way I would have managed without those directions and this forum - thanks for the guidance. Today it's off to the sailmaker's for the window replacement, and tomorrow I put the top back on. I'll post once it's done...

John

Step one complete - I got the canvas off last night in about 3 hours working very carefully. There were a couple of very minor differences from the instructions I got off Mike Focke's site (torx size for some screws, and my top was missing the strip along the rear bow used to wedge the canvas into what the directions called slot 2), but I didn't have any hitches. No way I would have managed without those directions and this forum - thanks for the guidance. Today it's off to the sailmaker's for the window replacement, and tomorrow I put the top back on. I'll post once it's done...

John

John:

Good going! If you follow the same procedure with the same care, you'll have your top back on in a few hours. Just don't cut any corners, it will be well worth it.

If you run into any roadblocks, just post here and we'll walk you through it.

Regards, Maurice.

Finished it up this morning and it really looks good. Thanks for all the support - it's pretty great knowing there are experts just a few keystrokes away!

John:

Excellent Work!

If you have before and after photos we'd love to see them!

Regards, Maurice.

Sorry it took me a while to get to this, but I can't figure out how to upload photos - when I try it tells me I can't. If you can clue me in, I'll put some up. The way they did it was similar to the method the guy at emiata uses on his kits - took a template from the original window without removing it, sewed the new one on over it, then cut out the old window. It leaks very slightly if you really hit it with lots of water and I am going to try to figure out a way to seal the seam, but the leakage is so slight I am not really concerned (at least not yet...).

Figured it out - my photo editor program was saving the file as .bmp but when I changed to .jpg it uploaded fine. So here are the after shots...

post-34081-1220320543_thumb.jpg

post-34081-1220320398_thumb.jpg

John:

The photos look fantastic. It looks like a brand new top and I'll bet it has rejuvenated your car's appearance by quite a few years.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 weeks later...

One other thing... While I was in there I noticed my top has the red plastic sockets. I thought those were out of the cars by 2002? I know I've read posts telling where replacements could be found since Porsche only sells as part of the next higher assembly. I don't want to take a chance on mine breaking and causing expensive damage. Could someone point me at a source for the part? Seems like there was a Belgian mentioned.

One other thing... While I was in there I noticed my top has the red plastic sockets. I thought those were out of the cars by 2002? I know I've read posts telling where replacements could be found since Porsche only sells as part of the next higher assembly. I don't want to take a chance on mine breaking and causing expensive damage. Could someone point me at a source for the part? Seems like there was a Belgian mentioned.

John:

I've just sent you a PM with the information.

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice,

could you send me the source as well?

I am planning to install a GAAH glass top and thought it might a good idea to exchange the red sockets with newer ones.

Thank you!

Christoph

Christoph:

Just sent you the info via your PM.

Regards, Maurice.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick top removal!

I have seen several threads about removing the convertibel top in 10-15 minutes. Taking it off with parts of the frame is ok.

Can anybody steer me to that link? I need to replace the back window and I want it professionally sewn.

Quick top removal!

I have seen several threads about removing the convertibel top in 10-15 minutes. Taking it off with parts of the frame is ok.

Can anybody steer me to that link? I need to replace the back window and I want it professionally sewn.

Here are two links to removing the convertible top and frame:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ic=25186&hl

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/thetop-i...e%26replacement

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

• 5 months later...