Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Odd Climate Control Problem

2000 carrera cab

My climate control has been acting strange. When the AC is on I can hear the fan running but almost no air comes out. If I hit the snowflake button to turn the AC off, cold air comes blasting out, but of course it soon gets hot. If I hit the snowflake button again the air stops blowing but gets cold.

So the AC is working. The fans are working. But when the AC is on the air is being blocked.

Any ideas?

There was a post a few months back about someone else having a similar issue and it turned out to be some disintegrating foam/rubber coating on the flap door, which prevented it from sealing and moving correctly.. He noticed small bits of black "stuff" coming out the vents. I tried to search for it but I really can't be sure it was here or Renntech. Unfortunately I can't even recall what the soultion was..hope it doesn't happen to me!! The search engine on this site is so bad that it's hard to get a good response from key words. Maybe someone else will chime in

• Admin
There was a post a few months back about someone else having a similar issue and it turned out to be some disintegrating foam/rubber coating on the flap door, which prevented it from sealing and moving correctly.. He noticed small bits of black "stuff" coming out the vents. I tried to search for it but I really can't be sure it was here or Renntech. Unfortunately I can't even recall what the soultion was..hope it doesn't happen to me!! The search engine on this site is so bad that it's hard to get a good response from key words. Maybe someone else will chime in

post-1-1219871023_thumb.png

2000 carrera cab

My climate control has been acting strange. When the AC is on I can hear the fan running but almost no air comes out. If I hit the snowflake button to turn the AC off, cold air comes blasting out, but of course it soon gets hot.

If I hit the snowflake button again the air stops blowing but gets cold.

Assuming it takes a matter of minutes, 10-15, from the time you turn on the A/C, the flow gets cold and then stops, the evaporator is icing up.

So the AC is working. The fans are working. But when the AC is on the air is being blocked.

Any ideas?

• Moderators

Check the A.C. control box for fault codes, the snow flake button is the on/off switch for the compressor. Perhaps there is something wrong with the control unit.

Thanks for all the relpys!

I suspect it's the control unit. I was hoping someone knew a trick to reset it.

Can this be fixed/recalibrated, or is it toast?

I looked a little but couldnt find one for sale online for a 2000 carrera. Any tips?

Thanks all!

Problem solved.

I checked the the AC diagnostics to see if the temp sensors and flap commands and positions looked right.

It all looked normal so I figured it had to be the control unit.

I decided to try to move the flaps open and disable them so the AC would work till a control unit came along on ebay.

I crammed my head into the footwell and started poking around when I noticed something that didn't belong there.

A little plastic bag that my newspaper comes in was sucked up against the intake vent. When I pulled it out cold air came blasting out of all the vents.

I spent at least 8 hours searching and reading. Drove around for 2 weeks in 95+ degree heat with no AC. Nearly spent $350 on a control unit. And all I had to do was reach under the dash and pull out a little plastic bag. :wacko:

Problem solved.

I checked the the AC diagnostics to see if the temp sensors and flap commands and positions looked right.

It all looked normal so I figured it had to be the control unit.

I decided to try to move the flaps open and disable them so the AC would work till a control unit came along on ebay.

I crammed my head into the footwell and started poking around when I noticed something that didn't belong there.

A little plastic bag that my newspaper comes in was sucked up against the intake vent. When I pulled it out cold air came blasting out of all the vents.

I spent at least 8 hours searching and reading. Drove around for 2 weeks in 95+ degree heat with no AC. Nearly spent $350 on a control unit. And all I had to do was reach under the dash and pull out a little plastic bag. :wacko:

I hope you recycled that plastic bag.... :D