Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Stalling 2003 C4S

I was out running some errands and my car just stopped running - died on the spot - in heavy traffic...The car would turn over, but that's it. I called a flat bed, but after 1/2 hour or so of waiting for its arrival, I tried starting the car one more time and to my amazement and it started right up. I drove another 4 miles, turned on to my street and it died again. I called the flat bed again and had the car brought out to the dealership. They replaced the switch on the clutch pedal that tells the motor the pedal is depressed and It's OK to start, but on my way home - approx. 7 miles - I turned into my driveway and it died again, same as before...Fuel level is fine, the battery is new, the car runs great but it's anybody's guess as to when it will just turn off. Any ideas? The dealership is at a loss to explain at this point...

Thank you!

Bill

That is easy to test unplug the MAF and see if it makes any difference.

I'll check with the dealer about the MAF and see if the issue could be with it (a flat bed is on its way...). I had not considered that...It's strange that in all cases, the car quit after approx. 7 - 10 miles and during either slowing to turn or pulling up to a traffic signal. The engine turns over fine, but it's like the car isn't getting spark, or more likely fuel. The odd thing is that after 30 - 45 minutes, the car will start, BUT after another 7 - 10 miles, the process repeats itself. I'm just trying to figure out if there could be a sensors involved with the engine managment that would give a signal to shut the engine down...

Thanks very much - as always, your help is very much appreciated!

Bill

hmm, it could be the MAF. Question... Just before it stalls, does the idle start to dip and raise abit seconds before it actually stalls... Also does your C4S seem alittle under powered than your used to lately?

There's really no change in the idle and this happens typically when the clutch is depressed and I'm slowing for a turn or a traffic signal. It's like the car has just ran out of gas...There's no issue with the car feeling like it's underpowered lately either - that's what has me baffled. The dealer replaced the switch associated with the clutch pedal being depressed so the car will start and the car started right up after they installed the new switch...

Thank you,

Bill

• Admin

On MY02 and newer there is a returnless fuel system.

On these cars the fuel filter usually does not need replacing unless the gas tank has become contaminated.

"2060 Fuel filter

The fuel filter is integral in the tank unit and no longer requires changing. A reduction in deliver rate can be detected via the mixture adaption."

post-1-1220570197_thumb.png

On MY02 and newer there is a returnless fuel system.

On these cars the fuel filter usually does not need replacing unless the gas tank has become contaminated.

"2060 Fuel filter

The fuel filter is integral in the tank unit and no longer requires changing. A reduction in deliver rate can be detected via the mixture adaption."

post-1-1220570197_thumb.png

thanks, Loren, that's good information. what does it sound like is happening with Bill's car? another mystery....