Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche Top Sealer/Treatment

So this weekend I washed the Boxster, cleaned the windows, and after drying in the sun all Sat afternoon, I decided to treat the top on Sunday afternoon. I bought a can of the treatment at the Porsche dealer last month when I had the OBC and cruise activated. I read the label, masked off the paint work, and went after it, two thin coats overall and another coat or two on the seems. I had one door of my 2 car garage open, but spraying about half of the can in the garage almost fumigated me. Then today, I got in the car, after it sat closed up in the garage since Sunday, and the odor inside the car was almost enought to make you gag.

What is in this stuff? The dealer swore by it, but I'd like to find something closer, since the dealer is an hour away in Columbia. The top does look really nice, we'll see haw it does next rain with the water drop test.

Thanks, Chuck

I just used the same product. Very strong odor. It's a fluorpolymer, whatever that is. But you definitely need to air out the vehicle and not let it sit closed up. I wonder what Raggtop is? It may also be a fluorpolymer and have the same odor issue. I do know that fluorpolymers are used all over as coatings on all kinds of things. The coatings when used or incorporated, resist dirt, water, and stains and are used in everything from protecting fabrics (tents, tops, clothes, carpets) to a wide array of commercial applications. the "fluor" part means it's a teflon based product, I believe.

Jim

I just used the same product. Very strong odor. It's a fluorpolymer, whatever that is. But you definitely need to air out the vehicle and not let it sit closed up. I wonder what Raggtop is? It may also be a fluorpolymer and have the same odor issue. I do know that fluorpolymers are used all over as coatings on all kinds of things. The coatings when used or incorporated, resist dirt, water, and stains and are used in everything from protecting fabrics (tents, tops, clothes, carpets) to a wide array of commercial applications. the "fluor" part means it's a teflon based product, I believe.

Jim

Technically speaking - the Fluor part just means it is a fluorinated polymer ... eg. the polymer incorporates fluorine ... which is a little generic ... Teflon (PTFE) would be a type of fluorinated polymer but its not the only one. I suspect that most fluorinated polymers have similar properties in terms of creating a surface with high surface tension for water - eg. water beads up - to prevent the fabric from wetting.

Basically the spray is like 3M Scotchguard. The polymer is in a solvent carrier of some sort and certainly smells. I did mine this summer (outside) and the odor dissipated in a day or so. It will probably take longer if the weather is humid or cooler ...

Where does one find Raggtop. I have tried every local Auto store for it, to no avail.

Is it only available on-line?

Thanks!

Beelzy:

It's generally not available in the big auto chain stores. You have to find a shop that specializes in automotive detailing products.

We've got a couple of them here on Long Island and they carry RaggTopp, so I guess it depends on where you live.

Regards, Maurice.