Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

In need of doing a brake job on my 911 and need advice.....

2000 Porsche Carrera 911 brake sensors just came on so now Im in need of doing a brake job. Is it better to just replace the rotors or get them resurfaced?

If I was to replace them what brand would you recommend? OEM? Etc...? Also what pads should I go as well?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
You would need to check the rotors for cracks (between the cross drilled holes) and for thickness.

Minimums are:

front 26 mm

rear 22 mm

I was told by the dealer and by an indepedent shop that I should replace the rotors vs resurfacing them so I ended up just buying rotors. What is your take on this? Have you noticed any performance or issues after resurfacing the rotors? Who do you take it to to resurface the rotors?

You would need to check the rotors for cracks (between the cross drilled holes) and for thickness.

Minimums are:

front 26 mm

rear 22 mm

I was told by the dealer and by an indepedent shop that I should replace the rotors vs resurfacing them so I ended up just buying rotors. What is your take on this? Have you noticed any performance or issues after resurfacing the rotors? Who do you take it to to resurface the rotors?

Any competent automotive machine shop can easily resurface the rotors, as can many well-equipped service stations.

As long as you haven't worn the rotors down to near their minimum allowable thickness, they should perform as well as new rotors.

Regards, Maurice.

Minimums are:

front 26 mm

rear 22 mm

Any competent automotive machine shop can easily resurface the rotors, as can many well-equipped service stations.

As long as you haven't worn the rotors down to near their minimum allowable thickness, they should perform as well as new rotors.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks! Good thing I didn't throw away my old rotors, I guess now I have a spare set.

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

Minimums are:

front 26 mm

rear 22 mm

Are these the same for a Turbo?

Cheers

Aaron

No, minimum rotor thickness for a 996 TT are:

front 33.5 mm

rear 27.5 mm

Lateral runout of the brake disc, max. 0.03 mm

Lateral runout of the wheel hub, max. 0.03 mm

Lateral runout of the brake disc when installed, max. 0.06 mm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Most shops will always tell you that you need new pads and rotors - easy money. I just did my pads on my 80,000 mile 966. The rotors were all at 50% between new and minimum thickness - not even close to needing replacement.