Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anybody w/ a Turbo X50 near Opelika, AL want a free tune?

Dus10R

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been trying for months to get APR to create their chip for the X50. They just sent me an e-mail that said they would create one but they need someone to loan them an X50 Turbo so that they can create it correctly. Whomever donates their car will get the hardware and software for free. If I lived anywhere even remotely close I'd jump on this in a heartbeat. Their ECU is probably one of the slickest I've seen. It allows you to swap programs via the cruise control function in your car. You can change between "stock," "chipped- 91 or 93," "Race-100," "Valet," "Security Lockout," it even has fault code erase and a throttle body alignment function.

APR EMCS Functionality

APR Tuned 997 Turbo Video

If anyone near to APR is interested please contact:

Chris Gigon

Sales Representative/Financing Manager

APR, LLC. Phone: (800)680-7921

4800 US Hwy. 280 W. Tech: (334)502-5181

Opelika, AL 36801 Fax: (334)502-5180

Edited by Dus10R

• 2 weeks later...

From the development process to the technical features, no other tuner offers the same innovation and refinement that you'll get from APR. Many months have been spent developing the best chip available for the 996 Twin Turbo. We go far beyond the traditional steps of just "raising the boost" and "advancing the timing". Extra steps must be taken. Typical data logging software used by most tuners is capable of capturing 4 variables at 3 samples per second. APR's proprietary data acquisition software captures as many as 30 variables at around 22Hz. That's an incredible 55 times more data gathered per second.

"...extra steps other tuners can't take."

To dramatically increase power and maintain factory drivability there are many factors to be considered. One of note is the internal boost-controller, which requests boost according to load measured by the ECU. Inconsistencies and "surging" are things you will not feel in APR software because we properly match the cars actual boost produced with the load-based requested boost from the ECU. This is where "55 times more data" goes from intangible numbers to a smoothness you can feel. It helps duplicate the characteristics normally found only from the factory. Such precise matching you will not find in other software. These are extra steps other tuners can't take.

Dus10's description sure sounded like an exerpt from the sales brochure to me....what affiliation ....if any....do you have to this company? Not meant as an indictment or negative....but put a few pictures with that description and you'd have a sales brochure.

Are you trying to sell this?

No I'm not trying to sell it. I just really like their product and they don't have an option for a X50 Turbo. So if someone close to them lets them use their car they'll get the hardware and tune for free and I'll get to pay full price once they offer it for X50 cars.

But then again, if nobody is interested, come a few months down the road I might just take some vacation time and drive down there and let them use my car. It would save me about $2K in the long run. I really have no affiliation with these guys at all, they just told me that they need an X50 car so that they can get the tune correct and then they'll have an option for me. Any technical questions you may have you'll have to ask them directly via thier contact info.

There are already a number of established and reputable tuners who have had their products on the market for years...thus passing the acid tests of time and trial by fire (figuratively of course). The only difference I see here is a different approach to capturing more variables....although how that equates to a much superior tune or noticably better performance is yet to be seen. Given the additional variables they claim....I would want to see this system field tested for some time before I would take it over a product that's been designed, R and D'd, and run on different cars for some time.....there's also the fact that some of the better known tuners are coming down in price and are offering some killer deals. This new company would have to compete with those prices as an unknown entity while at the same time trying to recoup a lot of money they spent in R and D.

For guys like me who don't regularly track their cars, we're fairly satisfied with the performance enhancements offered by the established folks at reasonable prices....not to say that there isn't room for a new and potentially better product. I'd also be a bit skittish about offering up my car as a beta test platform for the X50 version of the product....unless there was a clear cut contractual agreement for full engine replacement in the event it messed something up....and that's an easy $20K.

Edited by Chuck Jones

There are already a number of established and reputable tuners who have had their products on the market for years...thus passing the acid tests of time and trial by fire (figuratively of course). The only difference I see here is a different approach to capturing more variables....although how that equates to a much superior tune or noticably better performance is yet to be seen. Given the additional variables they claim....I would want to see this system field tested for some time before I would take it over a product that's been designed, R and D'd, and run on different cars for some time.....there's also the fact that some of the better known tuners are coming down in price and are offering some killer deals. This new company would have to compete with those prices as an unknown entity while at the same time trying to recoup a lot of money they spent in R and D.

For guys like me who don't regularly track their cars, we're fairly satisfied with the performance enhancements offered by the established folks at reasonable prices....not to say that there isn't room for a new and potentially better product. I'd also be a bit skittish about offering up my car as a beta test platform for the X50 version of the product....unless there was a clear cut contractual agreement for full engine replacement in the event it messed something up....and that's an easy $20K.

APR isn't a new company, and they're def. not a fly by night tuner. One of the most popular tuners for our Turbo's is UMW, which if you look up their address is a residential home. Not saying they're not good and that the guy doesn't know what he's doing, but even he had to start somewhere. APR is a very well established engineering firm and is no joke in the word of aftermarket tuning. Ask any Audi enthusiast what tuners they lust after and they're going to say HPA and APR. Does this look like the headquarters for a company that's practicing?

post-1-1230175414_thumb.jpg

post-1-1230175423_thumb.jpg

Edited by Loren
reduceimages sizes

Dus10: I had no comment about APR's standing in the tuning marketplace or that they aren't a viable competitor for the tuning market....only that I would have reservations about offering up my car as a beta platform when there are established folks out there who have tried and true tunes for the X50.

Thus far you've come up with verbatim extracts from what sounds like a product information sheet and pictures of the company......as well as a reference to the fact the UMW operates out of a residential address....which has little or no relevance to anything except to provide an entre' into the pictures of APR's layout. You appear to be much more than a simple consumer.....which in itself I have no problem with...but as Shakespeare said...Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

I wish APR well and every success in their venture into the marketplace and hope they find an X50 testbed....and maybe in time you can become the VP of marketing.