Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Why did whomever lock the X50 Free Tune post?

Dus10R

Why was the APR Tuner post locked?

I have zilch to do with that company, I'm not employed or paid in any fashion and they have no idea who I am.

The post wasn't angry or argumentative and was meant to help someone that lives nearby to APR get a free tune.

There was an ongoing discussion as to why someone might donate their car to a company for testing when there are multiple tried and true tuners already existing; but it was not a harmful post by any stretch of the imagination.

I was lobbying for APR only because in my humble opinion they offer a product that has features no other tuner has. If any other tuner in existance already has a tune for a 996 Turbo X50 in which you can change maps on the fly via the dash controls would someone please let me know who they are so I can check it out.

Yes GIAC offers a flashload....but they're a bit more expensive than some of the other competition....for example, when I checked into their X50 flash, they wanted $3,000. I ended up going to UMW and got it for $1295. The cost of a lot of the flash tunes are coming down as of recently......maybe it's the state of the economy....or maybe it's just that more competition is driving the prices down. Do your homework and don't just take the word of one or two folks....we all have our favorites and usually end up recommending what we happen to be running in our respective cars. On Rennlist there was a poll taken on who uses which brand with comments from quite a few folks on the pros and cons of the various tunes....go do a search there...try here too as well as over on Six Speed. Some are definitely better than others....look not only for recommendations....but also ongoing support and the ones that use the OBDII port rather than taking out and sending in your DME for an electronic lobotomy. Some vendors sell you the device that you keep in your possession that plugs into your OBD port and allows you to flash back to your stock map or to invoke different maps for different octane ratings....race gas etc. Those cost more so it depends upon what you are looking to do...what's your goal? Since I dont track my car, I just got the flash and did my diverter valves and upgraded the wastegate....

• 4 weeks later...
Yes GIAC offers a flashload....but they're a bit more expensive than some of the other competition....for example, when I checked into their X50 flash, they wanted $3,000. I ended up going to UMW and got it for $1295. The cost of a lot of the flash tunes are coming down as of recently......maybe it's the state of the economy....or maybe it's just that more competition is driving the prices down. Do your homework and don't just take the word of one or two folks....we all have our favorites and usually end up recommending what we happen to be running in our respective cars. On Rennlist there was a poll taken on who uses which brand with comments from quite a few folks on the pros and cons of the various tunes....go do a search there...try here too as well as over on Six Speed. Some are definitely better than others....look not only for recommendations....but also ongoing support and the ones that use the OBDII port rather than taking out and sending in your DME for an electronic lobotomy. Some vendors sell you the device that you keep in your possession that plugs into your OBD port and allows you to flash back to your stock map or to invoke different maps for different octane ratings....race gas etc. Those cost more so it depends upon what you are looking to do...what's your goal? Since I dont track my car, I just got the flash and did my diverter valves and upgraded the wastegate....

I want to be able to change Tunes without having to flash the ECU every time. If I normally run 91 octane, but I go and fill up with 93 or 100, I want to be able to change to that tune without having to plug some module into the OBDII port every time and run through a flash sequence. APR is the only company that I've found that offers that ability. But like I said earlier, if someone knows of another tuner that has the same feature I'm interested to know who they are.

Since this post, i've been looking around. It seems the easiest would be to get an electronic boost controller. Unfortunately, when you do that, you lose the ECU's ability to cut back boost if it goes over 1.3 bar. I am thinking of going this route since i do have the abilty to get race gas locally and I would also want to detune the engine when i go to track events so Ican focus on driving instead of holding on for dear life!!! :)

Whereas I can see the advantage of having some sort of dash mounted switch that allowed you to change your tune, the fact remains that the OBDII port device takes all of about 30 seconds to invoke.

I guess this is going to come down to a number of what some folks might consider as critical factors. How inconvenient is plugging an OBD device into the port? How much more convenient is a dash mounted switch? What other features are built into the APR unit that the competition doesn't have? And perhaps the biggie....what is this new doo-dad going to cost in relation to the competition? Are the additional features worth the cost?

I usually look at it in terms of .....function, form, and fiscal. If it stacks up close, then convenience could be a factor (not discounting the cost), but I (note*** personal opinion follows) can't see that many folks would find the need to be able to immediately switch back and forth between various maps on a routine basis....maybe if you're headed for a DE or track day.....or just bought a tank full of 100 octane race gas....but realistically, how much switching does the normal guy need in the course of a day, week, or month? If you're talking about driving across the US from California to New York, you'll encounter different octane ratings...from 91 to 93. The car pulls advance if it enccounters or senses a need to prevent detonation...and if you're gong to be a permanent resident of a different part of the country, I can see changing the map to match the octane available in your particular area. I am not knocking progress or new designs that incorporate new technology....but you have to define your needs and match the hatch.

Edited by Chuck Jones