Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Opinion on preventive maintenance strategy

2003 Boxster, 38K miles, I've owned it for 3 months. The owners maint. book is signed off by the Porsche dealership in Wichita for the 30000K service, but that was 18 months ago. Right off, I've changed the oil and filter, and air filter. I've hooked up the Durametric an have no codes, only 58 ignitions at redline, about 40 above redline, so not obviously abused.

Here's my strategy, at least what I've done with many other cars with pasts unknown: take care of the little stuff that can shut you down away from home. In this case, a 6 year old vehicle with no details known, I plan on:

Replace serpentine belt

Replace radiator hoses and flush radiator

Replace brake fluid

Change spark plugs

Check oil fill vacuum to determine status of AOS

Please advise if you feel any of these are a waste of time, and any glaring omissions. With only 38000 miles under normal use (about 2 years for me), I wouldn't do all of this. But this car is 6 years old and somethings age regardless of use.

I welcome your comments and thank you in advance.

First thing i would do is take off the front bumper and clean out the radiators.

If your bored maybe check your running lights, rear backup lights, third brake light etc... You will be sure to find at least one out.

My 03S Owners manual says the serp belt is due at 60k.

Brake fluid every two years. A motion bleeder and a friend will make it easy and take about 2 hours first time you flush it.

I drained and replaced my "lifetime" coolant, it takes 2 gallons of coolant and I used 2 gallons of DI water. The hoses looked and felt good so no change.

Take a look at the radiators from the front with a flashlight, make sure to get the leaves and such cleaned out.

Check the AOS, there are lots of threads here.

Chuck.

• Admin
2003 Boxster, 38K miles, I've owned it for 3 months. The owners maint. book is signed off by the Porsche dealership in Wichita for the 30000K service, but that was 18 months ago. Right off, I've changed the oil and filter, and air filter. I've hooked up the Durametric an have no codes, only 58 ignitions at redline, about 40 above redline, so not obviously abused.

Here's my strategy, at least what I've done with many other cars with pasts unknown: take care of the little stuff that can shut you down away from home. In this case, a 6 year old vehicle with no details known, I plan on:

Replace serpentine belt

Replace radiator hoses and flush radiator

Replace brake fluid

Change spark plugs

Check oil fill vacuum to determine status of AOS

Please advise if you feel any of these are a waste of time, and any glaring omissions. With only 38000 miles under normal use (about 2 years for me), I wouldn't do all of this. But this car is 6 years old and somethings age regardless of use.

I welcome your comments and thank you in advance.

Your factory maintenance schedule is here.

I think that's a decent checklist. My car, an '02 S, has but 15k miles, though I plan to change the coolant this spring. Brakes have been bled a couple times and oil changed once a year (about 2500 to 3000 miles).

The best thing you can do going forward is to use a good brand of oil and change it every 5-6k miles. My car does not see cold weather, so I use 10W40 (insert fav brand here) full synthetic with moly additives. Read this article on prevention and enjoy:

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Edited by jmatta