Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ka-thunk/rattle sound on rough patches

I've had a rattling noise in my '05 coupe that has been bugging me since I bought it used (off-lease) late last year. It occurs only when I hit a pretty rough patch of road, and from the driver's perspective it sounds like a loose glove box mount or front right door. Porsche service said "removed items from glove box" in response to my complaint, but that's not it. However, it does sort of sound as if it were a loose glove box or item inside bumping up and down along with the suspension thunks.

I had my son drive while I sat in the passenger seat yesterday so I could narrow it down. However, from the passenger seat it sounds almost exactly as it does from the driver's position-- but only if there were a glove box on the left side of the vehicle to rattle! It's an almost exactly opposite experience from either seat. Well, that rules out glove boxes and doors.

The logical conclusion is that it must be in the center console, but no matter how I place my ears in the passenger I cannot ferret it out. It doesn't sound like suspension/transmission movement.

Anyone have a parallel experience they may have resolved? I'm just a tick away from being out of warranty.

thanks, Bob

I have the same problem on my 05 Carrera. No idea but I once thought it was a loose underbelly panel but Porsche ruled that out on a recent oil change. They have no idea even though they verified it. I just turn up the stereo and look for smooth road

This may sound like a long shot but look for something that may rolling around under your seats.

I had a noise in my oldd 996 that bugged me for over a year. I too had my wife ride with me and try to determine where it was coming from. It seemed like a phantom. It would come and go...... Niether of us could really pinpoint where it was coming from....

Finally (when doing a really anal cleaning on the car) I found an air pressure guage underneath the passenger seat along with some other debris. (I was the second owner.) Voila! No more rattle. :clapping: I couldn't believe that I had gone so many other routes looking for the phantom rattle.

maybe worth a shot..

• Moderators

Are all the tools still in place in the front trunk tool box or in the rooms with lid, under the plastic trim in the battery area ?

My sunroof rattles when open to the first stop position i.e., a coupla inches shy of being fully retracted into the roof. I open it all the way, and the rattling stops....more or less. At first, I couldn't tell where the rattling was located; could that be the source rather than the glovebox?

Edited by 355bhp

I have a 2008 C2 Coupe that had a similar rattles around the glove box area when I purchased the car in August of last year. After a couple of months, the rattles started driving me crazy. I took the car into the dealer. They weren't able to isolate the rattle, but they took apart the glove box, cup holders, chrono and other dashboard components and added felt cushions until the rattle went away. It's been two months and the rattle has not returned. Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
My sunroof rattles when open to the first stop position i.e., a coupla inches shy of being fully retracted into the roof. I open it all the way, and the rattling stops....more or less. At first, I couldn't tell where the rattling was located; could that be the source rather than the glovebox?

THANKS for the steer to the right direction!

While I still can't isolate the origin of the sound, when I tilt or open the sunroof the sound stops. We visit the dealer tomorrow morning.

Much appreciated!

thanks, Bob

While I still can't isolate the origin of the sound, when I tilt or open the sunroof the sound stops. We visit the dealer tomorrow morning.

Much appreciated!

thanks, Bob

Just remember: it IS a proper sports car and not a Lexus. As I posted once before; I put my foot down, and all little clunks, rattles and squeaks are forgiven. And if one keeps the revs in the stratosphere where they belong, one can't hear them anyway! Cheers.

Much appreciated!

thanks, Bob

Just remember: it IS a proper sports car and not a Lexus. As I posted once before; I put my foot down, and all little clunks, rattles and squeaks are forgiven. And if one keeps the revs in the stratosphere where they belong, one can't hear them anyway! Cheers.

Suspension thunks are forgiven, as is road noise, the rough ride from low profile tires on a tight suspension, and everything else that comes with the package. Sharply pitched annoying rattles coincident with road joint jolts when I'm simply cruising are not. My last 911 was a '71 911T --- I know all about noises. ;) And I frankly sometimes miss its more rustic nature, as well as my own when in my 30's and 40's.

There were some broken parts in the sunroof mechanism that Porsche is replacing next week.

Suspension thunks are forgiven, as is road noise, the rough ride from low profile tires on a tight suspension, and everything else that comes with the package. Sharply pitched annoying rattles coincident with road joint jolts when I'm simply cruising are not. My last 911 was a '71 911T --- I know all about noises. ;) And I frankly sometimes miss its more rustic nature, as well as my own when in my 30's and 40's. There were some broken parts in the sunroof mechanism that Porsche is replacing next week.

Hmm. The panel lining the sunroof DOES rattle on my car, l but it's been outta warranty for a coupla months now, so unless I can get somebody to fix it for cheap, I'll live with it.

Edited by 355bhp

• 2 weeks later...
I have an 05 coupe and I think I have the exact same problem. Please update if any solutions!

I picked it up last Thursday and thankfully, no sunroof rattle, even with the new 19" wheels/35 profile tires I put on coincident with the fix.

The service record says "Sunroof panel missing rubber buffers. Road test vehicle with client to locate the source of noise. Remove the closing sunroof panel and inspect the trim panel. Remove and replace the inner trim panel along with the side trim panels. Install the sliding sunroof panel and adjust. Engage the trim panel and road text vehicle, ok."

I should add, parts were 996-564-021-04-T44 AS SUNROOF CEILING and 996-564-0241-00 and 996-564-0242-00 SUNROOF GUIDEs.

Edited by bobgollihur

• 2 weeks later...
I have an 05 coupe and I think I have the exact same problem. Please update if any solutions!

I picked it up last Thursday and thankfully, no sunroof rattle, even with the new 19" wheels/35 profile tires I put on coincident with the fix.

The service record says "Sunroof panel missing rubber buffers. Road test vehicle with client to locate the source of noise. Remove the closing sunroof panel and inspect the trim panel. Remove and replace the inner trim panel along with the side trim panels. Install the sliding sunroof panel and adjust. Engage the trim panel and road text vehicle, ok."

I should add, parts were 996-564-021-04-T44 AS SUNROOF CEILING and 996-564-0241-00 and 996-564-0242-00 SUNROOF GUIDEs.

Thanks Bob

I think I have the same problem... driving me crazy. The dealer played around with the roof and nothing changed. When I open the sunroof, the rattle is gone. I will drop by the dealer, thanks!

g

Hi Bob, not to be a pest, but you've helped me figure out my problem. I've had a very loud "slamming" noise happen everytime I go over a particular bridge in my daily commute (or other rough patches) while in PASM mode. I would have sworn it was coming from the suspension, but if I put the tip of my finger between the closed sunroof at the back, it instantly stops. I've been trying to do the "poor man's fix" since my car is not under warranty (little rubber sticky things between the sunroof and frame of the car), but I can't find the right spot to get it to stop. Is there any chance you could post a photo of the parts that are slamming together (assuming you know them)?

Thanks!

Bob,

What about the rattle you had at the glovebox dash area? Is that still there or do you think it was the sunroof?

Thanks,

Keith

It sounded like it was coming from the glovebox area, but 355bhp put me on to the sunroof as a potential source and he was right on target. (thanks again 355bhp!!)

Hi Bob, not to be a pest, but you've helped me figure out my problem. I've had a very loud "slamming" noise happen everytime I go over a particular bridge in my daily commute (or other rough patches) while in PASM mode. I would have sworn it was coming from the suspension, but if I put the tip of my finger between the closed sunroof at the back, it instantly stops. I've been trying to do the "poor man's fix" since my car is not under warranty (little rubber sticky things between the sunroof and frame of the car), but I can't find the right spot to get it to stop. Is there any chance you could post a photo of the parts that are slamming together (assuming you know them)?

Thanks!

Wish I could help but I never saw the parts or the sunroof when it was disassembled so I can't say. I know when I was exploring routing my Sirius antenna into the back of my Cayenne a kind wizard on the board sent me some exploded view drawings of the back end from a Porsche manual, perhaps someone has a similar doc for a 997-1 sunroof to help you out.

Wish I could help but I never saw the parts or the sunroof when it was disassembled so I can't say. I know when I was exploring routing my Sirius antenna into the back of my Cayenne a kind wizard on the board sent me some exploded view drawings of the back end from a Porsche manual, perhaps someone has a similar doc for a 997-1 sunroof to help you out.

That's a good idea. I found a link from Pelican Parts here: http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...997_KATALOG.pdf, but my brain ain't so good with diagrams.

From what I can gather though, I've been gumming up the wrong pieces. I've been putting the stuff between Part 1 and 7 on the sunroof diagram (Illustration 811). It looks like either part 7 is rattling internally or is bumping against part 9 (a different part number than yours, but from your description the same one?).

If anyone figures out a DIY fix without needing parts, I'd love to hear your paint-by-numbers fix. I'll try a few more myself tonight...I'm beginning to wonder if it's the roofliner itself that is the issue (one of the parts replaced on yours).

Thanks again Bob!

• 2 weeks later...

I had this exact same problem. It turned out that it was the lining of the sun roof hitting against the surrounding roof area.

My fix for it was to put a tiny piece of foam between the opening part of the sunroof and the metal side of the roof. Two second job and problem solved. Roof still opens fine as the foam does not need to be that thick. The piece i put in is about 15mm wide, 5mm thick and 5cm long.

Before i figured it out Porsche had replaced two speakers thinking they were blown! The reason for this was that the noise also happened with heavy base from the speakers. Obviously when sun roof tilted up no noise.

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem on a 2006 C2S.

Whit the sunroof tilted open, I could see the loose rubber buffer which obviously came off. Tried to fit my hand to grab it, but it just went down between the roof and the lining. I'm not sure if I can get it out somehow without going to the dealer.

Also it seems like my sunroof doesn't fully open, it stops about an inch short. I'm assuming is the piece of rubber getting in the way.

Any suggestions?