Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster Shop Manual

I am looking for a simple shop manual for a 1999 Boxster. Something along the lines of a Haynes or Chilton manual. I'm not looking to teardown the engine or transmission. I just want to install sound system and don't want to bust any plastic.

Many thanks in advance!

-pvaughan

• Moderators

No decent aftermarket manual and the factory manual is not for a DIYer. Peter at my local dealer was asked to write one but he did not think there was much material for a DIYer. That is why we started filming simple projects last year.

Bentley has said they might come out with one, but they have said that for a long time. I think the problem is the Boxster does not have the numbers like Honda or Chevy.

I would read the post by people, and use the search engine to find stuff like that. I have taken most of my pieces out to either paint them or just to be nosey.

Once you find the methodology behind some of it, the rest becomes obvious. I have a manual which describes the R & R of the dash, door panels and the such.

It is on CD and is in PDF format.

• 1 year later...
I would read the post by people, and use the search engine to find stuff like that. I have taken most of my pieces out to either paint them or just to be nosey.

Once you find the methodology behind some of it, the rest becomes obvious. I have a manual which describes the R & R of the dash, door panels and the such.

It is on CD and is in PDF format.

This I found for you:

http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm

Better then nothing!

Sixpack

Bentley has just released a shop manual.

Best price I've seen (when you factor in shipping) is Amazon - 62.97, no sales tax and free shipping. My wife was happy I finally came up with a Christmas present idea! So I know at least one thing I'm getting under the tree in a few days

If Loren has an Amazon associates account, maybe he'll put a link up on the Boxster pages so he gets the sales credit to help support this terrific site

• Admin
If Loren has an Amazon associates account, maybe he'll put a link up on the Boxster pages so he gets the sales credit to help support this terrific site
Thanks but no banner ads here... this site is user/owner supported!

If someone can get a discount or negotiate a group purchase feel free to post the information/link here...

If someone can get a discount or negotiate a group purchase feel free to post the information/link here...

Loren - banner ads suck big time. I think with Amazon, you can provide a link directly to the Bentley Boxster service manual, and your associates account gets credit for click-throughs and purchases. You could just put the link, unobtrusively, under the Special Offers submenu on the Online Docs Menu pulldown. I don't see this as any different than ordering from Sunset and getting the RennTech parts-at-dealer-cost discount, except it will directly benefit all of us by getting a few $$ back to you for supporting this great site. You probably get in the neighborhood of $2.50 per order (4% of the book cost), so 10 orders would work out to about the same as one contributing member.

I think there are probably a lot of us on this site that would prefer for ALL our Amazon purchases to benefit renntech than any other site.

• Admin

Loren - banner ads suck big time. I think with Amazon, you can provide a link directly to the Bentley Boxster service manual, and your associates account gets credit for click-throughs and purchases. You could just put the link, unobtrusively, under the Special Offers submenu on the Online Docs Menu pulldown. I don't see this as any different than ordering from Sunset and getting the RennTech parts-at-dealer-cost discount, except it will directly benefit all of us by getting a few $$ back to you for supporting this great site. You probably get in the neighborhood of $2.50 per order (4% of the book cost), so 10 orders would work out to about the same as one contributing member.

I think there are probably a lot of us on this site that would prefer for ALL our Amazon purchases to benefit renntech than any other site.

Thanks, I'll look into that!

• Moderators

Used the link and bought two copies of the Bentley manual.

Also the Brian Long book.

And the Gavin Farmer book. I want to see if Mark Bennett (Boxster owner from the Porsche Club of Great Britian and moderator of that board) is really mentioned in the acknowledgments as Mathew.

There is a Cayman book called "Thrill of the Chase." It is not on Amazon. It is published by the German company Delius - Klasing. This company prints books for the Porsche press department. Including the original 1996 Boxster and 1999 Boxster S books that were sold at Porsche dealers. Will have to see if this book makes it's way over to the US.

My copy of the Bentley manual arrived from Amazon yesterday. Learned some stuff, confirmed some more. And in some cases learned what is not a DIY for me. Tons of tables, codes, and diagrams. There is also enough year/model info to be worth $63 for the non-mechanical owner. Buy it! :clapping:

• 3 weeks later...

If you are looking for the workshop manuals, OBDII manuals, TSBs, techniks, wiring diagrams for every year or more service information on the 986 or any Porsche let me know by PM or email.

One note on that workshopUK site... their 986 manuals are not updated past 2000,and every page is marked with the website across it, making the pages more difficult to read.

• Moderators

Looks like I have some reading to do.

I used the Amazon Renntech.org link.

Update: Ok, I read the coolant tank replacement and convertible top transmission cable replacement pages since I have some recent experience.

For the tank they say to remove the stress plate and braces under the car then all the hoses from inside the engine compartment. There is a tiny picture with arrows pointing to things you cannot make out unless you already know what they are. Then there is a picture of the tank but it is still in the car. That is the hard and long way to do it, if you can even do it without a lift. It is clear to me they never actually remove the tank. And the final note "installation is the reverse of removal."

For replacement of the top cables there is a picture of the back side of an old style transmission with arrows pointing to the 4 screws you need to remove. The next paragraph starts with "after reattaching cable to transmission." It is a pain to get the cable off the worm gear drive and there is nothing to tell you how to do that other than to reattach the cable. If they had actually removed the cable then they should have at least a warning about the worm gear. And there is nothing about the new style transmissions.

The seal installation tool is the old one from several years ago. And so on.

So Renntech to will continue to live on, but now there are going to be questions about what is in the Bentley manual.

post-4-1137806676_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tool Pants

• 4 months later...
And the Gavin Farmer book. I want to see if Mark Bennett (Boxster owner from the Porsche Club of Great Britian and moderator of that board) is really mentioned in the acknowledgments as Mathew.

And the answer is... :(

;)

Probably best all round to do that :D

Funny thing is I haven't read my copy since buying it - I read the proofs Gavin did and it looks pretty similar B)

Hurry up and buy this book folks - I might get my correct name back if it gets reprinted :lol:

• 1 year later...
Our associate link to Amazon.com is now setup. You can order this manual directly from here (and RennTech.org will get a small percentage of the sale). See our Amazon.com Special Offers section. Or just click on the link below. Thanks!

Bentley Porsche Boxster Service Manual

Loren,

Amazon is now charging $183. I guess the honeymoon price of $63 ended. However, bentleypublishers.com sells it direct for $106 after adding shipping. Can you get a link to their website and get a click through fee from Bentley? Like the others have said, I would like fees to get paid to Renntech to support this terrific website.