Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

information under the tach

You'll need to have your local service shop enable the OBC feature using a PST2. If you want to toggle between the various functions, you'll need to add a switch to the dash or swap out your 3-column stalk for a 4-column version.

There are plenty of threads on this board that cover this subject in greater detail...search on "OBC".

Hope this helps.

The OBC hack is very common. First things first though, you need to have your dealer turn on the OBC with the PST2. Hopefully you have a good relationship with the dealer so he will turn it on gratis.

There are pros/cons to the 4-stalk vs. dash switch install.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I did the dash switch install and it was about $40 in parts. The only difference between the 2 is that I have Temperature, Distance To Empty, Avg. MPH, and Avg. MPG but I don't get to set the speed gong. Using the stalk allows you to set/reset the speed gong. So for an additional $140 or so I could have the speed gong. IMHO I didn't think it was worth it. But all I really wanted was the temp and fuel remain anyway.

you can set a speed on the oBC that will sound a gong (warning tone) to let you know that you hit that speed. Helps if you are one of those people that do not look at the speedo and want ot know when you hit 55, etc.

I use the speed gong to warn me when I exceed the limit above which it is an automatic reckless driving ticket in VA (which also gives the officer the discretion to tow your car and take you to jail). Of course, I never drive without looking at the speedo . . . :huh:

I just moved from McLean and I know how bad the cops are (thankfully not personally).....but, I have a friend that got 6 days in jail and driving suspended for 1 yr. OUCH!!! Oh yeah, 110mph pn rt 28 by Dulles. And that was a reduced sentence.

• 2 years later...
The local group has done about 40 plus OBC retrofits over the years. I like to do it with the stalk because then it is the same as the factory option on your year. Let me know and I will give you a list of parts to buy.

Tool Pants

I am trying to research getting the OBC retrofit and was leaning towards the stalk, but saw some writeups about using a switch. where do they put the switch, and is it any easier?

can you also send me a list of the parts needed?

thanks

capt601

PS yeah, I know this is an old topic and post from 2004, but it had some good info and just wanted to followup.

I just moved from McLean and I know how bad the cops are (thankfully not personally).....but, I have a friend that got 6 days in jail and driving suspended for 1 yr. OUCH!!! Oh yeah, 110mph pn rt 28 by Dulles. And that was a reduced sentence.

Yeah, is this a great country, or what.

Bill