Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacement shocks.

The rear shocks on my car are showing signs of leakage. I want to replace them.

I've thought about upgrading the suspension, but ended up rejecting the idea. The car is a four season daily driver, and the roads and parking lots in this city are brutal. I don't want to lower the car, and I don't want to radically stiffen the ride.

Rather than just put new OE shocks in the rear, I'm thinking of replacing all four with Bilstein's sport shocks, which are a straight replacement for the OE pieces. My experience with these in the past is that I'll get a bit more stiffness and control when they're loaded, and a bit more compliance over little bumps vs. OE. This seems like the right answer for my driving reality.

Anybody had any experience with these? Again, I'm not talking about Bilstein's PSS9/10 kits. Just the dampers. TIA, as always!

If you put stiffer shocks on the rear then you will somewhat "unbalance" the car.

If it were me I would go with sport shocks all the way around and keep the handling balanced.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. That's exactly what I'm thinking to do. Sounds like you'd endorse the shocks for my purposes?

I went through this decision on the front not too long ago, but the dealer warrantied the original shock. Otherwise I would have gone for the Bilstein HD shocks. I think the Bilstein sport shocks have a shorter travel. The HD shocks are sportier shocks than OEM and have a lifetime guarantee.

shox.com has a buy-3-get-one-free Bilstein deal right now. Unclear from the Bilstein web site and shox.com if it applies to all shocks, or just the Bilstein truck shocks.

I went through this decision on the front not too long ago, but the dealer warrantied the original shock. Otherwise I would have gone for the Bilstein HD shocks. I think the Bilstein sport shocks have a shorter travel. The HD shocks are sportier shocks than OEM and have a lifetime guarantee.

shox.com has a buy-3-get-one-free Bilstein deal right now. Unclear from the Bilstein web site and shox.com if it applies to all shocks, or just the Bilstein truck shocks.

Good scoop. I ended up calling Bilstein in the US, because there's no support to speak of in Canada, and you're exactly right. The HDs are the direct replacement. Thanks for chiming in!

Bruce,

I am also struggling with the same options. Tirerack.com has a set of 4 for $808, Shox.com has them for $829

I'm doing it. As far as I can tell, the car will stay drivable for my purposes, with a better ride AND better handling, all for just a few hundred more than just replacing the rears alone with OE shocks.

People get caught up in the excitement of a lower, stiffer car, often not realizing that this will only improve performance if the pavement is smooth. The job of a suspension is to keep the rubber on the road. On my roads, that's about travel and rebound damping. No bragging rights for me, but I think I'll be happier.

Yeah Bruce, I am really struggling with the same issues. Mine is a daily driver on anything from smooth roads to pure garbage. Car bouncing all over the place. Originally, from a previous owner the car had lowered Eibach springs. I can see on the oil pan where a lot of scrapping occured and it was rough. But that was on standard shocks. I replaced the Eibachs with M030 springs. Car still pretty rough so I don't know how much of that to attribute to blown shocks. There was an article in Porsche Panorama few years back comparing the US standard, US M030, and ROW M030. They also did some testing of the Bilstein HD shocks. The Bilstein shocks seemed to be a little stiffer than US M030 in compression (going from memory). So I don't know if under high speed bumps (i.e. potholes) if it will be okay or pretty harsh. By the way, Suncoast Porsche has the ROW M030 set up with shocks, struts, springs, sway bars and bushings as a kit for ~$1100 USD.

I am with you on not getting caught up in making this a race car.

I too have been looking at the Bilstein shocks. I have put them on my BMW and they are a little stiffer than my stock shocks were. Control is great. Let us know how they work out. I will be in the market for shocks in the next year or so.

Just get PSS9s and call it at day. Adjust it all you want. It's the best option for the street. Better than factory X kits. But it may be out of your budget since it sounds like you want to go bits and pieces which I wouldn't recommend.

Hi, Bruce.

Budget is certainly not the issue, as you may recall from past exchanges, Ben. And deciding to stay with factory springs and sways does not equal going "bits and pieces".

"Best option for the street" isn't helpful, but thank you. What "best" and which "street" are the key questions for suspension choices if you really care about performance.

Just get PSS9s and call it at day. Adjust it all you want. It's the best option for the street. Better than factory X kits. But it may be out of your budget since it sounds like you want to go bits and pieces which I wouldn't recommend.

Hi, Bruce.

Budget is certainly not the issue, as you may recall from past exchanges, Ben. And deciding to stay with factory springs and sways does not equal going "bits and pieces".

"Best option for the street" isn't helpful, but thank you. What "best" and which "street" are the key questions for suspension choices if you really care about performance.

Of course I remember that of course budget is not an issue for ya. That's why we're all still driving 996s and especially for you, an MK1 996 with the beloved Boxster headilghts that receives all-season beating.

And what of performance? Aside from getting responses like "this worked great for me," trying to come to some sort of meaningful suspension/handling conclusion around "performance," especially over the internet, is a sisyphean challenge.

My point is, all these options will be just fine for the daily 911: ROW M030, Bilstein shocks with OEM springs, PSS9s, etc. For those on a budget, go with the new aftermarket shocks with factory springs options. If you have more money to spend, PSS9s are a no brainer. If you have no budget, then heck handle your business and go for a full Moton setup.

Thx for reading, buddy. :)

Edited by Benjamin Choi

Hi, Bruce.

Of course I remember that of course budget is not an issue for ya. That's why we're all still driving 996s and especially for you, an MK1 996 with the beloved Boxster headilghts that receives all-season beating.

And what of performance? Aside from getting responses like "this worked great for me," trying to come to some sort of meaningful suspension/handling conclusion around "performance," especially over the internet, is a sisyphean challenge.

My point is, all these options will be just fine for the daily 911: ROW M030, Bilstein shocks with OEM springs, PSS9s, etc. For those on a budget, go with the new aftermarket shocks with factory springs options. If you have more money to spend, PSS9s are a no brainer. If you have no budget, then heck handle your business and go for a full Moton setup.

You keep skipping past the part where I don't want to lower the car.

Hi, Bruce.

then don't?

• Admin

Hi, Bruce.

then don't?

BruceP was clear from his first post "I don't want to lower the car, and I don't want to radically stiffen the ride."

Please keep this on topic - and not personal in your remarks. Thanks.

Hi, Bruce.

then don't?

BruceP was clear from his first post "I don't want to lower the car, and I don't want to radically stiffen the ride."

PSS9s meet both those requirements and if there is no budget then PSS9s give you the ability to go even softer than matching aftermarket shocks with stock springs. If not for Bruce, I'm certainly speaking for others who may run into this very same thread/predicament. If they're on a budget, sure, go with the shocks.

Loren, I'm not clear how I'm being personal here and not on-topic.

Respectfully,

Ben

• Admin

Hi, Bruce.

then don't?

PSS9s meet both those requirements and if there is no budget then PSS9s give you the ability to go even softer than matching aftermarket shocks with stock springs. If not for Bruce, I'm certainly speaking for others who may run into this very same thread/predicament. If they're on a budget, sure, go with the shocks.

Respectfully,

Ben

Ben,

PSS 9s lower the car.

I am more than aware of the history between you two - keep it civil and not condescending.

This thread is not an argument or a battle of preferences between two people - BruceP asked for suggestions - you have made your suggestions - move on.

Hi, Bruce.

then don't?

Respectfully,

Ben

Ben,

PSS 9s lower the car.

I am more than aware of the history between you two - keep it civil and not condescending.

This thread is not an argument or a battle of preferences between two people - BruceP asked for suggestions - you have made your suggestions - move on.

All I'm saying is, PSS9s are adjustable meaning you don't have to lower your car. Heck, you can increase the height if you want for SUV level practicality in the urban jungle that is Toronto (lovely city).

• Admin

Hi, Bruce.

then don't?

Respectfully,

Ben

Ben,

PSS 9s lower the car.

All I'm saying is, PSS9s are adjustable meaning you don't have to lower your car. Heck, you can increase the height if you want for SUV level practicality in the urban jungle that is Toronto (lovely city).

The highest setting on PSS 9s are still lower than both US and RoW sport suspensions.

• 2 months later...

There was some interest on this thread about how the Bilstein HDs worked out. I finally got this done, and for those people, here's my impression:

So far, I seem to have got exactly what I wanted, ie "like stock, only better". The car's basic ride characteristics are about what they would have been when it was new. The improvements are at the margin: Better small bump compliance, less harshness on rough pavement, but more stiffness under load (what you'd expect switching up to any premium gas shock, with gas' natural rising spring rate under compression, made more linear), and most of the motorboating on entrance ramps is gone.

I'm still running the stock springs and sways, for which these Bilsteins are matched (NOTHING worse than poorly matched shocks and springs!), and my original shock mounts were in perfect condition and thus reused.

I'd say that if you want to preserve your stock ground clearance and drivability, and get about 120% of the handling performance the car came with new, these shocks are an excellent choice. But if you live where the roads are perfect and/or want to track the car, you'll probably want to go further.

Hope this is helpful.

Bruce

You went with Bilstein HD ? If you have the part #s I would appreciate it. My 01 has 49000 and the stock shocks don't seem to be able to keep up with the small bumps, lots of chatter when encountering small multiple road imperfections.

Thanks

Steve

Bruce

You went with Bilstein HD ? If you have the part #s I would appreciate it. My 01 has 49000 and the stock shocks don't seem to be able to keep up with the small bumps, lots of chatter when encountering small multiple road imperfections.

Thanks

Steve

I have them. I'll post them up in the morning.