Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

car keeps dying...anyone have any ideas

car completely ran out of gas (not my fault but it did happen by the gas station).

so it was filled up and turned on and ran fine for a little while

now if you keep the RPMs revving once stopped or driving it runs fine, but as soon as you completely take your foot off the gas the RPMs go down as they should, but go right down and then it shuts off.

restart, runs fine for a few mins, then it does it again.

within a mile i had to restart the car about 40 times.

i dont know what the problem could be, my car does have aftermarket exhaust, evo intake, and i just recentrly replaced the MAF sensor

anyone know what this might be signaling to?

no check engine light, and dealer told me that he wont even tough it couse its been 'modified', even though it ran fine for over a year after mods?

ok..

anyone, anything i can check?

• Admin
car completely ran out of gas (not my fault but it did happen by the gas station).

so it was filled up and turned on and ran fine for a little while

now if you keep the RPMs revving once stopped or driving it runs fine, but as soon as you completely take your foot off the gas the RPMs go down as they should, but go right down and then it shuts off.

restart, runs fine for a few mins, then it does it again.

within a mile i had to restart the car about 40 times.

i dont know what the problem could be, my car does have aftermarket exhaust, evo intake, and i just recentrly replaced the MAF sensor

anyone know what this might be signaling to?

no check engine light, and dealer told me that he wont even tough it couse its been 'modified', even though it ran fine for over a year after mods?

ok..

anyone, anything i can check?

Other than a dirty fuel filter (from picking up the debris in the bottom of the tank) - I think you will need to look for fault codes or pending faults with a diagnostic tool.

Ditto above. Good theroy

But, I also have run my car bone dry a few, to no short or long term ill effect.

I can certainly see the filter theory and, I can see something like a stuck electrical reset as the car adjusted to a leaner and leaner mix.

2 cents P.K

I think you might have some competing issues. When you installed the MAF, was it the newer version? If so, was the ecu flashed with the upgraded software(per the factory tsb)?

As far as running the fuel tank dry, usually I've found it picks up a bunch of junk at the base of the tank and cooks the pump(at a minimum and generally more). You might check the fuel pressures(running and rest) to see if they are within factory spec. If you have access to durametric software or a PST2, you might check for dtc's as well as the running specs.

regards

The fuel filters have a large surface area.... seems unlikely that it would be plugged from rubbish in the bottom of the tank but I guess it could happen. If there are no engine codes I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes, hook it back up and leave the ignition key on for one minute before restarting the engine.

It would have to be really dirty to choke it out. Knowing how much time you've spent on modding your car I doubt you would have left your filter get that way ;)

could a dirty air filter be an issue perhaps?

Though I'm no expert, I had a similar problem with one of my 911s...swapped fuel pumps with a spare my friend had and problem solved. Seems they run for a while, then die, but will run again when cooled slightly.

yeah i doubt its the air filter, since i have K&N so i always clean it, but ill have them look at it.

the thing is i had the car at a shop for some pain touchup and whatnot, and now all the sudden my car hesitates and radio is completely not working either. they said there is power to the radio but its bad and needs to be changed (dealer told them $800 lol)

the fuel filter, i never changed it, not sure if PO did, but does that sound like something that will give out at 80k? probably huh

waiting to hear from the shop that its at to see what they say

At a guess i would think this is some dirt from the bottom of the tank getting through to an injector or two, this dirt could be jamming the injector valve open, causing fuel to dribble rather than spray, at higher revs this wouldnt be a problem but low revs and the mixture would lean too much to the point of stalling.

Dont belive it could be the pump otherwise it would not start so readilly after cut out, I would change the filter though as i believe it has failed to filter effectively