Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I'm trying to replace my rear rotors. In doing so, I was happy to see that Porsche used a difficult 12point tripple squre bolt. I also noticed that the caliper looked rigidly attached to the brake lines. Finally, I noticed that there was what appeared to be another bolt on the caliper for the parking brake(??). As a result, I was not able to finish my rotor change until I get the 12point tripple squre socket. Has anyone done the rear caliper change and can post instructions (or point me to them)?

• Admin
I'm trying to replace my rear rotors. In doing so, I was happy to see that Porsche used a difficult 12point tripple squre bolt. I also noticed that the caliper looked rigidly attached to the brake lines. Finally, I noticed that there was what appeared to be another bolt on the caliper for the parking brake(??). As a result, I was not able to finish my rotor change until I get the 12point tripple squre socket. Has anyone done the rear caliper change and can post instructions (or point me to them)?

Please do a search this has been covered here before in detail - inlcuding what need to be remove and what does not.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Loren. I did, I found nothing on the rears. Only this on the front, which I added: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...54&hl=brake

Can you direct me to the rear procedure, it's not the same as the front.

Hey Loren.

I am also doing the rear brakes and rotors, and it is definitely different from the front brakes. First question, the caliper bolts holding on the caliper are a 12 point star design (ie like a torx bit) not like the front which you can take off with a regular socket.

Do you know what size that star bolt is? I tested with a T60 torx bolt and it is quite a bit smaller than what is needed. and do you know anyplace to buy the required 12 point bit?

here is a photo of the bolt.

post-8944-1242861447_thumb.jpg

Hi Loren. I did, I found nothing on the rears. Only this on the front, which I added: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...54&hl=brake

Hey Loren.

I am also doing the rear brakes and rotors, and it is definitely different from the front brakes. First question, the caliper bolts holding on the caliper are a 12 point star design (ie like a torx bit) not like the front which you can take off with a regular socket.

Do you know what size that star bolt is? I tested with a T60 torx bolt and it is quite a bit smaller than what is needed. and do you know anyplace to buy the required 12 point bit?

FWIW... these bits are called triple square. XZN is the technical designation.

I bought a set of them from Amazon.com believe it or not. I have not used them yet to do the brakes.

Here is a tiny url to the set that I bought.

http://tinyurl.com/o7tw4o

FYI as I understand the torque settings for the bolts holding the calipers in place is 200 ft lbs. Make sure you have a good set of these bits before you apply that much torque to remove them. As soon as I find out what size I need for those bolts I will be buying the snap-on version of that size thanks to the fact their set is 176 bucks!

Hey Loren.

I bought a set of them from Amazon.com believe it or not. I have not used them yet to do the brakes.

FYI as I understand the torque settings for the bolts holding the calipers in place is 200 ft lbs. Make sure you have a good set of these bits before you apply that much torque to remove them. As soon as I find out what size I need for those bolts I will be buying the snap-on version of that size thanks to the fact their set is 176 bucks!

Thanks. I borrowed one from my neighbor who is a indy Porsche technician. Yeah, the front caliper bolts are 200 ft/lbs. but he said the rears are 120 ft/lbs. I just tried getting either one of the ones on the left side off, and no luck. the bottom one is the only one I have room to really usesome force to get it to move and no such luck. the top one, I can just barely get the bit on the bolt( due to a stabilizer arm or something being in the way), so no luck with even trying with that one. I have all of the parts, so I am going to take them down to their shop and see what they will charge just for the install.

Air Impact Wrench

Hey Loren.

Thanks. I borrowed one from my neighbor who is a indy Porsche technician. Yeah, the front caliper bolts are 200 ft/lbs. but he said the rears are 120 ft/lbs. I just tried getting either one of the ones on the left side off, and no luck. the bottom one is the only one I have room to really usesome force to get it to move and no such luck. the top one, I can just barely get the bit on the bolt( due to a stabilizer arm or something being in the way), so no luck with even trying with that one. I have all of the parts, so I am going to take them down to their shop and see what they will charge just for the install.

Air Impact Wrench

Hey Loren.

thanks Mudman. Guess I'll have to get one more tool for the tool box :)

OK, so I did this. I found a special 12pt double square 16bit that was made just for the "VW Oil Pan". It cost me $9 at my local tool store (you can probably Google it). I also bought a 1/2" long handle rachet that allowed you to get to the bit at any angle. Both of these were invaluable...

The rotors came of with a 50 torax bit. There was another screw on the rotor which I have no idea what it does, but I jammed a torax into it and moved it to the new rotor. I think it's an access hole cover so you don't have to remove the rotors.

All in all the rotor change took 1hr with the right tools. My only regret is that the brake cleaner also removed my Porsche decals on the caliper :o(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An impact gun with a triple square??? I did this once on a 911 Turbo flywheel. I really, really, really don't recommend that. I chewed up a bolt head in very short order and ended up having to use a Snap-On bolt extractor. Certainly no offense to Mudman, but impact guns were made for Chevy's.

Jason

2004 Cayenne S

1985 930S

1983 944