Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Warming up and Cooling Down CS2

Is it advised to warm up my CS2 - 997 after it being in the garage over night, usually I turn it on and let it warm up for around 3 minutes before driving off.... Also should I keep it on for a bit after driving it hard so that the fan can cool off the motor before turning the engine off or is this only for Turbo's...?

Is it advised to warm up my CS2 - 997 after it being in the garage over night, usually I turn it on and let it warm up for around 3 minutes before driving off.... Also should I keep it on for a bit after driving it hard so that the fan can cool off the motor before turning the engine off or is this only for Turbo's...?

I wouldn't worry about the "idle" before you turn your engine off, that advice is for turbo users.

I always recommend following the advice in the owners manual.

+1 for this. The manual says there's no need for a warmup idle. I start driving immediately and just keep it under 4k RPM until my water temp is nominal. I don't let the car sit on idle after driving, but my last two miles or so are always gentle so I don't put it away too hot.

M.

+1 for this. The manual says there's no need for a warmup idle. I start driving immediately and just keep it under 4k RPM until my water temp is nominal. I don't let the car sit on idle after driving, but my last two miles or so are always gentle so I don't put it away too hot.

M.

I know I have read the manual but you know how the common myth that everyone says is that you should always warm up the engine before driving off... Never could get enough confidence to just fire her up and drive off :) .... But from now on I will just turn the engine on and drive off and for the first 5 minutes I will make sure to keep RPM's under 4,200....

M.

I know I have read the manual but you know how the common myth that everyone says is that you should always warm up the engine before driving off... Never could get enough confidence to just fire her up and drive off :) .... But from now on I will just turn the engine on and drive off and for the first 5 minutes I will make sure to keep RPM's under 4,200....

I usually wait for my oil temp to rise a few points before going beyond 4000 rpm, and the engine compartment fan will operate automatically and periodically after shutting down till everything's properly cooled down.

• Admin

I think I answered this before....

It is rare for the engine purge fan to come on at all.

Mine only comes on after I come off the track while I am idling during cool down.

"Switch-on conditions for engine compartment fan (this fan pulls air into the engine compartment) The engine compartment fan is switched on when the engine compartment temperature is > 176 degrees F or the coolant temperature is > 216 degrees F.

After-running of engine compartment fan

If the ignition is switched off and the engine compartment temperature is more than 140 degrees F, the DME control module remains in readiness for another 20 minutes. During this time, the engine compartment temperature is retrieved every 10 seconds. If the engine compartment temperature is > 185 degrees F , the engine compartment fan is switched on for 20 seconds. If the engine compartment temperature is still > 185 degrees F after this time, the fan remains on for a further 30 seconds."

It's been 90+ here in L.A's San Fernando Valley lately, and it was 103 at Willow. It probably wasn't necessary, but I did what the guys in the Lotus and other Porsche did, and opened the engine cover lid during the cool-off sessions.

As has been mentioned here by several folks, there is no need to idle the engine to warm it up. In fact, excessive idling can do more harm to the engine than good and should be avoided. I start my car, wait until the idle settles down, maybe 10-15 seconds, and drive off making sure to keep it under 4000 RPM's until the oil reaches normal operating temperature. Oil temperature is more important than coolant temp where engine wear is concerned. In the warmer months it doesn't take very long for the oil temp to reach normal which for me is 200 degrees give or take. Then you can drive it like you stole it.

Edited by dphatch

As has been mentioned here by several folks, there is no need to idle the engine to warm it up. In fact, excessive idling can do more harm to the engine than good and should be avoided. I start my car, wait until the idle settles down, maybe 10-15 seconds, and drive off making sure to keep it under 4000 RPM's until the oil reaches normal operating temperature. Oil temperature is more important than coolant temp where engine wear is concerned. In the warmer months it doesn't take very long for the oil temp to reach normal which for me is 200 degrees give or take. Then you can drive it like you stole it.

Hahahaha I love the "drive it like you stole it" bit... Thanks for the advice...

Is this the 911 (old spice) forum, or the boxster (channel #5) forum. All engines require oil to reach normal operating temperature before horse whipping them. Warming up the water temp? Great Scott man, the lower the better... we strap ice packs to the engines on the race track! Harriet, get me my gun...

Is this the 911 (old spice) forum, or the boxster (channel #5) forum. All engines require oil to reach normal operating temperature before horse whipping them. Warming up the water temp? Great Scott man, the lower the better... we strap ice packs to the engines on the race track! Harriet, get me my gun...

You caught me, I'm a former Boxster owner who until a few weeks ago didn't have an oil temp gauge. :) I suppose I'll look left instead of right before hitting the go pedal from here on in.

Although I'm sure they're not directly correlated, I (was) working on the assumption is that if the coolant has reached operating temp, the oil's getting there too. At the very least it's been sloshed around the engine for a few minutes and is lubricating everything nicely. That said, I don't punch the throttle for giggles as soon as the needle's up. Overall I think I share the same sentiment as others here regardless of my methodology--drive immediately, but take 'er easy for a bit.

I'm not sure I get the "channel #5" reference. Perhaps I'm not "old spice" enough. :D

I wonder if people that own other brands of sports cars talk about "warm up procedures" as much as we do :D

It's a road car... Even freakin F1 engines that rev to 18k don't have warm up period. (Yeah I know they only have to last 2 races.)

I think we get too paranoid thinking that a Porsche engine will explode if we don't treat it like a moody female.

Just drive it and use common sense.

Okay now you can blast me... :rolleyes:

Every time when I start the engine, the CPU will go into warm up mode depends on the surrounding temp. Then I will hear a click, the engine will runs at lower RPM, at that moment I will start to move the car without rev. over 3700RPM. I will watched the oil temp. till it goes to 200-220 F before I will play rough. 175 F of coolant will be achieved half the time before the oil goes to 210 F. Basically, the car is full warmed up when oil goes to 210F. Most of the time, I will open the engine lid when I parked the car into my garage. I think that will reduced the hot temp. chance to harden the rubber plumbing. That will give longer life to the lines and the seals. That is common sense in physics.

Every time when I start the engine, the CPU will go into warm up mode depends on the surrounding temp. Then I will hear a click, the engine will runs at lower RPM, at that moment I will start to move the car without rev. over 3700RPM. I will watched the oil temp. till it goes to 200-220 F before I will play rough. 175 F of coolant will be achieved half the time before the oil goes to 210 F. Basically, the car is full warmed up when oil goes to 210F. Most of the time, I will open the engine lid when I parked the car into my garage. I think that will reduced the hot temp. chance to harden the rubber plumbing. That will give longer life to the lines and the seals. That is common sense in physics.

I think the last seven (I think) replies to this thread are TERRIFIC! These are SPORTS cars and should be driven that way! Cheers.

Edited by 355bhp