Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A/C Evaporator Replacement

My A/C has been extremely weak for a while. I had topped up the R134a a few times, but it only lasted a few weeks. I took it into my local independent (who seems to be a pretty good guy) yesterday, and he got back to me today to say it was the evaporator which needs replacing. Going to cost me $2830.

Searching on Pelican parts, it seems the complete air housing and evaporator ("this is the original equipment replacement, complete air housing assembly with evaporator") is $1600 for the official Porsche part, and $736 for a Valeo equivalent replacement. I have also requested a quote from Sunset through this site.

The quote seems high to me, does it to you guys? Anyone any experience with using the Valeo replacement? I don't think this is a job I want to do myself, mainly because I don't have a/c discharge / recharge equipment. I guess I will need that, after reading the service manual.

Thanks,

-James.

• Moderators

I have no idea about the prices in the US, anyway, the parts are not cheap. The Valeo replacement looks raisonnable to me because the labour time is approx. the same for both solutions (removing and reinstall the complete dash and A/C-heater vent. system) Only the labour time for the vent. system housing dis and reassembling, to install the Valeo replacement and vent. flaps, is an additional cost.

Thanks for the reply. From the description, it looks like the Valeo part is the same as the Porsche part, it includes the housing, so no need to disassemble the old one. I spoke to Pelican, they confirmed that was the case too. They said Valeo make the parts for Porsche, so the quality is good.

I'm going to get a quote from another Independent on Monday, and make a decision then. If anyone has any experience in doing this themselves, I'd love to know a rough number of hours, or if it's doable by myself. I couldn't find a Howto on removing the housing.

-James.

First, I would make pretty sure it is the evaporator that is leaking and not one of the two condensors. The condensors are exposed to hits by road debris so I would expect a leak there to be much more common than an evaporator. I would also get a 2nd option since, 1, a leaking evaporator is a pretty rare event, and, 2, while the price may not be out of line it is high enough to justify a second analysis.

The evap core is $163 in the aftermarket. But unless you have gauges and a vacuum pump, it might not be practical to repair it yourself. However, if you want to invest $300 or so in tools, it is not difficult stuff to do.

Edited by C2951

Hello

I solve this thing almost my self. The plan was to buy the evap at pelicanparts. Dismount all you see in this pics with the workshop manual took 6 hrs, very easy. except the evap housing in which the mechanic dismounted and mounted. I replaced my self the expansion valve and dryer. Then I mount the rest back in like in 5 hrs @ home. And return for air recharge.

-evap $273

-dryer $41 "may be better price at ebay"

-expansion valve $33 "may be better price at ebay"

-car tow round trip $200

-replace the evap from housing and put it back $400

-air recharge $200

total: $1,147

satisfaction priceless

if you can dig in on the evap housing complexity and get a air recharge housing gauge system for $40 at autozone plus refrigenrant and oil you save $ 800.

996 C2

post-9236-1243738192_thumb.jpg

post-9236-1243739348_thumb.jpg

post-9236-1243739392_thumb.jpg

post-9236-1243739411_thumb.jpg

No, I just unmount the interior parts at home, the mechanic couldn't work at my home so I took it to his garage in the conditions you see in the first picture. The mechanic just replace the evap from the housing. For me was to much complex to work in the evap housing area. Then the dumb mechanic didn't let me mount everything on his garage for insurance purpose. Then I towed back home to finish it. Just take this as a experience.

If the problem is just the evap. I don't think is relevant to get the whole housing.

Pelican parts is the only one that I know that sell you evap alone as an option with good price. Don't waste your time on other brands of evap as the configuration lines in/out are different and won't fit on the housing.

Edited by jose

• 1 month later...

Jose, how did you know the evap was leaking? I have thin oil appearing on my front driver side carpets (not much, but the surface of the carpet is oily, not engine oil, much thinner). I assume this could be either a/c lubricant, or brake fluid? It is discolouring the (black) carpet, so maybe it's brake fluid?

It's summer time in Miami, and I'm driving around without a/c at the moment. :) I guess I better get to work on fixing this sometime soon, before I melt...

-James.

Can just the evaporator be replaced without removing the whole unit?

I don't mean to hijack this post...but I have an entire working climate control unit I just took out of my 2004 986S - I took it out because I am stripping it to prepare for a full cage as it becomes a full-on race car.

If anyone needs it, I will let it go cheap plus shipping. I can provide pictures.

Replacing the unit wholesale essentially requires taking the dash off, and removing the wiper assembly and battery. It is held on by three threaded posts that pass through the firewall, plus one place on the cockpit side. Takes patience, but getting the dash off is not that bad IMO.

• 5 weeks later...
Jose, how did you know the evap was leaking? I have thin oil appearing on my front driver side carpets (not much, but the surface of the carpet is oily, not engine oil, much thinner). I assume this could be either a/c lubricant, or brake fluid? It is discolouring the (black) carpet, so maybe it's brake fluid?

It's summer time in Miami, and I'm driving around without a/c at the moment. :) I guess I better get to work on fixing this sometime soon, before I melt...

-James.

Some body diagnosed with ultra ear device to detect small leaks plus if take a sneaky look thru the blower compartment you can see the evaporator oily.

I did a second diagnose by using the UV refrigerant with UV light detector to confirm my self, a $20 thing.

• 11 months later...

The oil turned out to be brake fluid, from the clutch master cylinder. That's been replaced, and all is good again. At the same time, I also replaced the a/c evaporator, and that is now holding charge.

-James.

-James.

Some body diagnosed with ultra ear device to detect small leaks plus if take a sneaky look thru the blower compartment you can see the evaporator oily.

I did a second diagnose by using the UV refrigerant with UV light detector to confirm my self, a $20 thing.