Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DIY Porsche Ramps

So I've been doing a lot of research on ramps for my car, looking up the various types, sports ramps, pricing etc..... when it hit me....

HOW HARD CAN IT POSSIBLY BE TO MAKE MY OWN STINKING RAMPS!!!!

Why spend $200 + dollars on quality ramps, when you can make the same thing with basic materials and tool knowledge, that is JUST as sturdy (if not MORE sturdy) that FITS your oversized (and probably over-priced) tires, and that is LOW profile enough to get the job done.... all for under $30!!!!

Enter in.... (drum roll please)... my DIY Porsche Ramps design.

With some basic lumber, a tape measure, some good wood screws, a drill, and a circular saw (or a handsaw if you really want).... ALL of this can be yours in about 2 hours or less.

I've drawn up a little schematic for your own personal viewing pleasure. I plan to take some pictures this weekend to show you these babies in action.

ENJOY!!!!

ramps-1.jpg

So I've been doing a lot of research on ramps for my car, looking up the various types, sports ramps, pricing etc..... when it hit me....

HOW HARD CAN IT POSSIBLY BE TO MAKE MY OWN STINKING RAMPS!!!!

Why spend $200 + dollars on quality ramps, when you can make the same thing with basic materials and tool knowledge, that is JUST as sturdy (if not MORE sturdy) that FITS your oversized (and probably over-priced) tires, and that is LOW profile enough to get the job done.... all for under $30!!!!

Enter in.... (drum roll please)... my DIY Porsche Ramps design.

With some basic lumber, a tape measure, some good wood screws, a drill, and a circular saw (or a handsaw if you really want).... ALL of this can be yours in about 2 hours or less.

I've drawn up a little schematic for your own personal viewing pleasure. I plan to take some pictures this weekend to show you these babies in action.

ENJOY!!!!

ramps-1.jpg

Here are some photos of the ramps I made to help install Fab Speed headers and exhaust, the only reason I'm add in my 2 cents worth is your ramp design looks a little heavy to move around to store!

post-39220-1246569584_thumb.jpg

post-39220-1246569632_thumb.jpg

post-39220-1246569713_thumb.jpg

post-39220-1246569736_thumb.jpg

usaf...

couple mods to consider....

I've been using similiar ramps for 10+ yrs.....

- Set your circular saw for a 45degree miter.... that might make it a little easier to back up onto....

- it's quite snug working on a 4 layer 2x10 setup ramp.... when I did the motor mount with my 01 S, it was doable, but close quarters..... u can't reach over your body very well underneath the car.... (just to note... 2 x dimensional lumber is actually only 1.5" thick.... similarly the 10" side I believe is only 9.5")

- over a 6.5' run, u should be able to get a 6 layer ramp fairly easily.... my 4 layer setup is only 3' long maybe?

- i'm 5'10 and 185lbs for size comparison.

Edited by petee c

usaf...

couple mods to consider....

I've been using similiar ramps for 10+ yrs.....

- Set your circular saw for a 45degree miter.... that might make it a little easier to back up onto....

- it's quite snug working on a 4 layer 2x10 setup ramp.... when I did the motor mount with my 01 S, it was doable, but close quarters..... u can't reach over your body very well underneath the car.... (just to note... 2 x dimensional lumber is actually only 1.5" thick.... similarly the 10" side I believe is only 9.5")

- over a 6.5' run, u should be able to get a 6 layer ramp fairly easily.... my 4 layer setup is only 3' long maybe?

- i'm 5'10 and 185lbs for size comparison.

Nice, Yep, I did the 45 degree on my miter and it made it a helluva lot easier to backup, drive up onto. Worked like a champ. After about halfway through construction of the first ramp, I did notice that the 2x dimenisonal was only about 1.5" thick, and the 10" wasn't a true 10" :) I was a bit aggrivated with that, thought maybe I had purchased the wrong wood... BUT.... lo' and behold.... it worked just fine. I brought my camera which is downstairs in the parking garage right now... but I will post my finished pics later today :)

Funny thing, I don't know WHY I never thought of this before. I was able to do my oil change EASILY and I was also able to FINALLY change out my fuel filter in the middle bottom of the car which I've been meaning to do for a Looonnnggggg time. My wife came out about halfway after I had the large plastic protection piece disconnected luckily... so I was able to ask her to hand me a phillips screwdriver :)

Was pretty easy for me, similiarily, I'm 5'10" 172lbs.

Also just an FYI.... these really aren't all the heavy. Est. 30lbs a piece or so. Completely able to pickup and move. I'll probably end up taking on a couple of handles just for easier carry. I have hanging brackets on the wall that allow me to hang this stuff pretty easily though.

Also just an FYI.... these really aren't all the heavy. Est. 30lbs a piece or so. Completely able to pickup and move. I'll probably end up taking on a couple of handles just for easier carry. I have hanging brackets on the wall that allow me to hang this stuff pretty easily though.

Nice looking ramps, and a really nice looking garage!!

I made some ramps for my 997S using the same basic principal. I started out with a 3/4" piece of ply wood at the bottom. My thinking was the car would roll up onto the plywood easily making it easier to drive onto the 2 x 10 material without causing the ramps to move. Each piece has a 45 degree chamfer at the front as well. I am using one 3/4 plywood and two 2x10 's. It gives enough clearance for an oil change, but probably not too much else. They are a bit heavy but not unmananageable.....

In any case they work really well. I made a set for the front as well to keep the car level for oil changes.....

post-40826-1247002014_thumb.jpgpost-40826-1247002032_thumb.jpgpost-40826-1247002049_thumb.jpg

I made some ramps for my 997S using the same basic principal. I started out with a 3/4" piece of ply wood at the bottom. My thinking was the car would roll up onto the plywood easily making it easier to drive onto the 2 x 10 material without causing the ramps to move. Each piece has a 45 degree chamfer at the front as well. I am using one 3/4 plywood and two 2x10 's. It gives enough clearance for an oil change, but probably not too much else. They are a bit heavy but not unmananageable.....

In any case they work really well. I made a set for the front as well to keep the car level for oil changes.....

post-40826-1247002014_thumb.jpgpost-40826-1247002032_thumb.jpgpost-40826-1247002049_thumb.jpg

Nice ramps, nice car, nice driveway! :clapping:

Your car looks very content on its perches.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks! Yea the clearance is great for working under the car, I was able to get under there and change the fuel filter in the middle of the car very easily!

Also, yes... I love my garage :) I had it professionally done last summer. I'm a HUGE fan of the slatwall which goes around my entire garage and makes wall storage very easy! The floor is also a really nice added bonus. Spill some oil? No problem, just spray with a hose and go :) The only thing I regret.... not putting in a lift lol :) Next house... next house... Just have to convince the wife :) :)