Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi all i was recently thinking of changing my hood crest from the traditional Gold to more rare SILVER.

I have this one on my steering wheel.

But I don't know is this a break too far from the traditional Gold?

What will the purist's say at the club :)

post-26847-1247404931_thumb.jpg

traditional Gold

post-26847-1247406133.jpg

Humm which one

post-26847-1247406155.jpg

or is this a bit too much :)

post-26847-1247406178.jpg

Edited by JamesD

No flames, but I find it interesting that this subject pops up regularly on all the Porsche MBs, where people are willing to pay $125+ for a cast metal color change of the emblem, yet exclaim how overpriced a shift knob & boot are at $300, something stitched from leather with a hand assembled leather and metal knob that is used everytime you shift (a manual) and you see inside the car.....just odd to me..FWIW, I like the silver crests as well, especially on black, silver, grey bodied cars.

overpriced is certainly relative and the world has no shortage of whiners and complainers so agreed perry!

i just tell folks think about picking colors for your car as you would the clothing on your back. navy blue and black slacks don't go together. black and blue is a bruise, not a business casual work wear combination.

the original gold crest doesn't match well with silver because gold and silver aren't a very good match together anyways. black and gold is fine. blue and gold is fine, though not ideal. my car is arctic and the silver badge goes best with this regular silver body color. black and silver obviously work as well, but black works with both gold and silver.

i honestly wouldn't have bothered to go with the silver badge had it not been for the original owner who also put the silver porsche badge on my OEM leather/carbon with leather stitched center steering wheel to match. but then, my oem CF shifter has the mini-crest in gold so it's mismatched anyways just that this badge is way smaller and you hardly notice it.

my key has the crest, but the quality is poor so the paint chips eventually (same key as the one offered on the Carrera GT - what a joke, Porsche).

Edited by Benjamin Choi

I've always thought it strange that Porsche even offers the option. I can't imagine Ferrari giving you a choice of background colours for the cavallino rampante...

That said, they do offer the option, just as they do with wheel center caps and keys. It's their brand, and they're good with it. So I wouldn't worry about tradition. If it looks good to you, do it.

I like the silver, and would consider changing. But, I'd have to change out the wheel crests too, so it all matches, and I really don't want to do all (both) that. And, I have not seen nice silver wheel crests.

IMHO, Bumperplugs has a very nice, high quality, silver hood crest.

I'm wondering where can you buy it? I can't find anything within Canada, it'll be great if you can hook me up. Price would be great. Thanks

You can buy at www.bumperplugs.com.

If you go that route, life will be a bit better if you have a friend in the US that can receive the package for you and then mail it on. Eric hates shipping to Canada and avoids it if he can. I've been extremely happy with the products I've bought from him, but you'd think I was asking him to ship to Antarctica.

If I were you, I'd actually try a dealer first. If you can give them a part number, a Canadian dealer will order anything you want. I think the part number for the silver hood crest is P 993 559 211 00 SILVER

Worth a shot, and you'll skip the Canada Customs screwing from UPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got my silver hood crest. (will post pic's soon)

I got it from really nice guy's at www.macarbon.com spoke on the phone with them and got a good price to post to Ireland $250 that's about €180

they also have some really cool carbon parts for porsche.

As for Wheel centre crest's in silver/red, forget it, I have searched the internet for many hours & days, and only found one place and it's only a sticker

(but a very good high class one) at www.eu-decals.com they also make custom size's too.

So guess what I discovered.

It's illegal to produce (but not to sell) the porsche emblem in Silver & red as many of the guys from these site's said. I spoke to one who even said how he

received a bully letter from porsche saying they will sue if he does not stop to make them in these colours he did not even like to talk over the phone to me as he said I could be a porsche spy :) Also a Silver & red crest starts out life as a standard gold one which is then striped then chromed and painted, by in-house garages (as in wheel & body kit shops) so porsche don't actually make a Silver & red crest.

The only colour done by porsche past & present is (old style) Orange, Black & Silver plain Black & Silver and the norm Gold.

So from what I understand is that all the Silver & Red crest's for sale out there are the only one's left, and when there all gone that's it no more.

Well maybe :) As you's can probably tell I've done a lot of researched in to this topic, that and maybe I have too much free time :)

These are the site's I found & called.

Also I've added some pictures.

www.eu-decals.com (sticker guys)

www.macarbon.com

www.gmpperformance.com

www.bumperplugs.com

www.nrauto.com

www.boothedesign.com

the one & onlypost-26847-1248649304_thumb.jpg post-26847-1248649376_thumb.jpg post-26847-1248649355_thumb.jpg ] post-26847-1248649412_thumb.jpg post-26847-1248649528_thumb.jpg Sticker's good detail.

post-26847-1248649332_thumb.jpg

Edited by JamesD

I can assure you that it's illegal to produce anything with a Porsche logo on it, regardless of colour, without a license to do so. Products that bear an unlicensed logo are counterfeits, in the legal sense of the word. I'm going to guess that this is actually what made certain vendors uncomfortable talking to you.

Here's another after market, but this time it's the Orange & Black bar emblem going back to it's roots :)

this was a restoration job done on a old badge not bad at all.

post-26847-1248905467_thumb.jpg

Edited by JamesD