Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best frequency range for dash speakers

Hi stereo buffs,

my new head unit has a built in high pass filter that I can change the frequency of. Can anyone suggest what bass levels I should stop from heading to these speakers to have them sounding there best?

They are the stock dash speakers from a 97 Boxster. Currently have them cutting off at 63Khz which seems quite good?

Regards,

Sam

Hi stereo buffs,

my new head unit has a built in high pass filter that I can change the frequency of. Can anyone suggest what bass levels I should stop from heading to these speakers to have them sounding there best?

They are the stock dash speakers from a 97 Boxster. Currently have them cutting off at 63Khz which seems quite good?

Regards,

Sam

Depends. Do you have the 5 1/4" subs in the doors? OR....Do you have another type of sub in the car? If you have subs, then try setting the HPF freq to the 120 or even 150 area and see how the balance sounds. To a point, the more bass you can relieve those small drivers of having to handle, the cleaner they will produce the midrange and highs. However, you have to balance them with your bass speakers (subs) and how the LPF filter is set - if one is in use. For example, if you set your HPF to 150, make sure your LPF is not set any lower than 150 also, otherwise you will leave a bit of a "hole" or weak spot in your system's frequency response.

If you have no door subs or independant sub, then run I'd set the HPF like you have it now, or even as low as 50hz-ish, just to filter off the extreme lows that those little drivers aren't going to handle very well anyway.

Cut off at 63kHz? I'm assuming you mean 63Hz, since 63kHz is outside of human hearing range.

63Hz is very low unless you don't have any other speakers in the car. If you have other, larger speakers that can handle the bass better, then I would raiser the freq cutoff for the dash speakers. I've got my dash speakers high-passed at 250Hz. But I've got door subs which are low-passed at 250Hz, and rear subs low-passed at ~120Hz.

Hi guys,

yes they are just the stock dash speakers, and no, I don't have the door woofers. I plan on adding a Focal 8" or 10" powered slim sub very soon though which will take care of the low notes. Will definately play with the high pass much further then on the fronts. The other thing I have coming is a rear speaker install to bring some notes up to ear level.

Curious - thinking about replacing the front speakers with a 3 way component speaker such as Focal units 165KRX3. Is it worth the expense of the 3-way's, or should I just get some quality 4" splits or not bother replacing the dash speakers at all?

Regards,

Sam

Curious - thinking about replacing the front speakers with a 3 way component speaker such as Focal units 165KRX3. Is it worth the expense of the 3-way's, or should I just get some quality 4" splits or not bother replacing the dash speakers at all?

Regards,

Sam

Sam:

Definitely replace the dash speakers. The OEM ones are of very poor quality.

Regards, Maurice.

Can you suggest some speakers that would work nicely. Is the 3 way with the 6.5" woofer installed in the door really that much better? Basically these are my choices:

*Stock speakers with high pass filter

*Aftermarket 4" splits

*Aftermarket 6.5" splits (woofer retro fitted in door, tweeter in stock location)

*Aftermarket 3 way splits, tweeter and mid in dash stock location, woofer in door)

Whats your recomendation?

Regards,

Sam

Hi from OZ

yes - the factory dash spkrs are rubbish! - replace with quality 2 way 4"

- that is all you can fit - dont cut up the dash to fit larger!

really comes down to just relieving these of bass

- I put in a 8" Bazooka subwoofer tube - ready to go - sat in passenger footwell

- no messing with car body etc

- easily removed for track days etc - just velcro in

cheers

Justin

post-42569-1248081854_thumb.jpg

Hello from Oz as well! Where abouts are you located, your boxster looks lovely.

I have a Focal 8" under seat sub in there now and the bass is fantastic! Just working out how to secure it and velcro sounds like a clever idea (I want to have it against the centre consol aiming at the passengers feet) But the problem is, velcro doesn't stick to this carpet... Should I just screw it into that transmission tunnel part of the centre console or is there a better way you guys have done it?

Sam

Hey Sam - I'm in Perth.

Yes - issue getting the back - sticky - side of the velcro to stick to carpet.

In the end - we glued the velcro strip to carpet - I am loathe to drill holes - real issue on re-sale

- residual glue on carpet post any future removal of velcro strip can be cleaned up with turps/trim of carpet etc!

good luck - Justin

- ps Boxster for sale - send me email if interested - it a Motorsport RS car!

Yeah we have double sided velcro here in Aus, but is the adhesive side strong enough to stick to the carpet?

I mounted my sub last night in the place where I wanted (next to the console on the passenger side) using a couple of zip-clips. There were some conveniently located tabs located behind the console covers that I could run a zip clip through and then through the mounting tabs of the sub. Holds it well and you can see any zip clips. Looks almost factory, very happy!

Sam