Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Steering noise

When I steer to the right, turning the wheel completly a metal grinding noise begins. As soon as I retract a minimal angle from the steering the noise goes away. Only happens on the right side.

Has anyone experienced this?

;) Thanks

986 2.5L 1997 manual 5 SPD

Edited by scherb

Normally when pulling out of parking space where there is a need to fully turn the steering wheel. I am sure while it is moving it does it. Let me verify today if it also happens when stopped. Thanks.

> Confirmed that noise only happens when car is in motion. The noise is not there always. Today I did not hear it even when trying to duplicate the scenario.

<_<

Edited by scherb

• 2 weeks later...

I had something similiar in another car and to my suprise it ended up being that I was in desperate need of a brake change. It started off much like your describing but it soon became a constant sound.

Normally when pulling out of parking space where there is a need to fully turn the steering wheel. I am sure while it is moving it does it. Let me verify today if it also happens when stopped. Thanks.

> Confirmed that noise only happens when car is in motion. The noise is not there always. Today I did not hear it even when trying to duplicate the scenario.

<_<

Hey everyone, I have noticed this too in my 1998 Boxster. The vibrations and sound occur when I am parking or leaving a parking spot at a very slow rate of speed. I actually don't think it's the car. I'm not a very experienced stick shift driver, and I think it's the engine shaking as if it's about to stall out since I'm at such a slow rate of speed with maybe too much clutch out. I'm pretty sure we're all experiencing the same thing. But at least for me, I think my rough stick driving abilities are to blame. I certainly hope it isn't a mechanical issue. No one likes added expense.

James