Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fair price for an 05 997 S Carrera?

I hate to put you guys through more of my car drama but here it goes. :o I have been looking at 01 and 02 996 Turbos and 2005 997 Carrera S coupes. I know the drama with the 05's but I will have a warranty if I go that route.

The 996 Turbo (no offense) feels a bit dated on the interior. I have drivin some 500hp plus Turbos that are wicked fast but I feel I'm just driving a faster version of my old C2 996 cars.

After driving both I'm really leaning towards the 997 S. It's a fantastic car and I like the look and feel of the new design. It's fast and very civilized.

Because of the huge hit I'll be taking getting rid of my conversion car an 06 is out of my price range.. :angry:

There is a huge price disparity with the 05's. Dealers are asking in the mid $50's (which I know is way too high) and private parties are all over the place. I would like to pay around $45k tops. Kelley blue book says $44k suggested retail and $40k from a private party for "S" cars with around 25k miles.

Anyone have any input on what they are going for in their area? Is $44k a reasonable offer for a low mile 05 S? Know anyone that has one for sale? :D

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Phillipj :renntech:

Edited by phillipj

There is a huge price disparity with the 05's. Dealers are asking in the mid $50's (which I know is way too high) and private parties are all over the place. I would like to pay around $45k tops. Kelley blue book says $44k suggested retail and $40k from a private party for "S" cars with around 25k miles.

Anyone have any input on what they are going for in their area? Is $44k a reasonable offer for a low mile 05 S? Know anyone that has one for sale? :D

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Phillipj

Phillip,

I got mine back in Oct '08 from VW of Pasadena (claimed as the manager's car) for an extravagant $50K. It had 23K miles on the clock, but it's the fastest thing I've ever driven, and it still goes like stink--I love it! I consider the premium I paid as a Stupid Tax. It's not the first time I was bowled over by a pretty face and stunning performance, and I'm sure it won't be the last!

$44K sounds pretty good to this less-than-well-informed rube, but considering the present economy, I'd try for a max of $40K. JMHO. Just make sure it's well maintained, and if possible to tell, driven properly--not babied.

Rick

Phillip,

I live in the Northeast.

I also spent many months looking for 997 S, but everyone was asking mid to upper $50s. Heck, some people wanted mid to upper $50s for non S models. I finally hit upon a CPO 05 S with 14.5K miles. This car is pristine. I paid $50K which included a two year 100K mile warranty. Could have bought for less than $48K without the warranty.

I find Kelley Blue Book to be a little under what everyone (dealer and private party) are asking and getting. I find Edmunds.com to be more in line with the market.

If you find one in the mid 40s, go for it. You won't regret it.

Regards,

Jim

I live in the Bay Area and I just bought an '05 non S CPO for ~$45K. The car is a Tip and the dealer said that they are tougher to resell and the price was recently reduced. I'm an old guy living in traffic so it was what I wanted. The dealer gave me $17K for my '99 base C2. I didn't want the hassle of selling it and they are losing value daily as I've seen a few on Craig's List for under $20k.

You can add 10% to anything for sales tax and registration which is a killer.

There is a world of difference between a 997 and a 996. The interior and civility is worth the price difference. IMO while the 997 seems heavier it is much quicker.

Good luck in your adventure and I think all the '05 kinks should have been resolved in whatever you buy.

Thanks fr the feedback I'm going to look at a few more this week. I have cash so I should be able to have a leg up on the purchase. But this time I'm going to take my time and get exactly what I want.

I'll update later

Found a black with Terra interior 06 S with 17k miles. It has Sport Chrono and PSE and Sport seats and a warranty. I can get it for $53k (plus freakin CA sales tax of 9.75%.) It's a beautiful car. Bit more than I want to spend but a year newer.

Good price? Looking at more this week....

Edited by phillipj

Found a black with Terra interior 06 S with 17k miles. It has Sport Chrono and PSE and Sport seats and a warranty. I can get it for $53k (plus freakin CA sales tax of 9.75%.) It's a beautiful car. Bit more than I want to spend but a year newer.

Good price? Looking at more this week....

Assuming the car is in good shape (paint, body, no accidents) this looks like a really good deal. You mentioned "this time you are going to get exactly what you want". That's the way to do it! I did compromise myself with my previous 996 and ended up selling it after 2 years to get what I really wanted - which cost me more than the $8,000 I wasn't preparred to spend originally (plus the 2 years of nagging feeling that I was missing something ...). So if that black beauty with the terra cotta interior is exactly what you want, write the check and don't look back. It certainly is a very good price. If she is not exaclty what you want, she is about $60k too much ...

Good luck,

Jay

If the '06 is what you want, go for it; don't linger. I got burnt twice over the years regarding a painting and another car. I didn't have the guts to pull the trigger at the appropriate moment and when I decided to go back they were both sold. Disappointed, especially about the painting.

The price for the car as equipped seems exceptional, especially w/warranty.

Best of luck.

Bob

Thanks guys. I may make the deal this week. I will trade in my car and get rid of it once and for all.

The 997 car is perfect and the dealership in having some paintchips in the front bumper painted and well as repairing a small curb rash on one of the rear rims. . One of the door pulls ion the inside is chipped and they will replace that as well. I belive this car was owned by a woman and she and her friends used it for shopping and lunch :o

$53,900 for an 06 with 17k miles is a much better deal than most of the 05's I have been looking at. My wife says I'm obsessed and sadly to say I believe she is right. ;)

I'm going to look at another 05 car tomorrow or Wednesday.

This has been a very expensive lesson for me. Never ever ever buy a P car without a warranty. This error will cost me about $35,000. That's a lot of freakin money.... :huh: :huh: :huh:

I had a relative drop dead the other day out of nowhere,,, Fit man in his 40's was running and was dead before he hit the ground. Got to make the most out of everyday cus I don't know how many I may have lol! So that's a dam good excuse to buy a new Porsche :D

The 997 car is perfect and the dealership in having some paintchips in the front bumper painted and well as repairing a small curb rash on one of the rear rims. . One of the door pulls ion the inside is chipped and they will replace that as well. I belive this car was owned by a woman and she and her friends used it for shopping and lunch :o

I had a relative drop dead the other day out of nowhere,,, Fit man in his 40's was running and was dead before he hit the ground. Got to make the most out of everyday cus I don't know how many I may have lol! So that's a dam good excuse to buy a new Porsche :D

+1! +2 if it's a 6-speed! But like Jay says, make sure it's exactly what you want. Good Luck!

Thanks fr the feedback I'm going to look at a few more this week. I have cash so I should be able to have a leg up on the purchase. But this time I'm going to take my time and get exactly what I want.

I'll update later

Phillip:

Sorry about your trials and tribulations with your near-former 996.

+1 on getting EXACTLY what you want and for using your money for that exact purpose!

As my good friend likes to say: "What the f :censored: :censored: :censored: are you working for?"

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

$53,900 is a very good price for an 06 C2S. Few months ago I purchased an 06 C2S with less than 5K miles (it still smells and looks brand new) for $56K.

Cheers,

Thanks Flying Cat! I get it next week. Can't wait...

post some pictures!!!

I pick up my 06 baby on Wednesday. It's getting new rear tires (courtesy of the dealer) :D Rock chips on the front bumper painted and the windows tinted (as well as full detail inside and out.)

I will post pictures as soon as I have it. This is what it looks like before tint and detail.... :cheers:

post-7267-1251487424_thumb.jpg

post-7267-1251487445_thumb.jpg

post-7267-1251487469_thumb.jpg

post-7267-1251487486_thumb.jpg

Edited by phillipj

I pick up my 06 baby on Wednesday. It's getting new rear tires (courtesy of the dealer) :D Rock chips on the front bumper painted and the windows tinted (as well as full detail inside and out.)

I will post pictures as soon as I have it. This is what it looks like before tint and detail.... :cheers:

:cheers:

Regards, Maurice.

awesome ride phillip! love the interior and the options! great buy... you will enjoy it...

Do I see PSE ?

How come you dont have the sport steering wheel if its an S ? My steering wheel looks different than yours...

Sam

Edited by tekky

Congratulations on the new ride. I like the '06's wheels. They're less busy and gimicky than the '05's. It looks pretty durn pristine to me right now! And I like the Terracotta interior too. Cheers!

Mazel tov Phillip. Enjoy and may there be fair winds and open roads ahead for you.

I have the same wheels on my '05 and see them on others. I've seen the 'busy' wheels on '06 in pictures on the web. Perhaps both wheels were available for both years?

Edited by bolobar

Yes they are available for both years. the busy ones are called Porsche sports wheels. I think these ones are standard Carrera wheels

Mazel tov Phillip. Enjoy and may there be fair winds and open roads ahead for you.

I have the same wheels on my '05 and see them on others. I've seen the 'busy' wheels on '06 in pictures on the web. Perhaps both wheels were available for both years?

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the new ride. Yes it does have PSE and just about every other option available. Tekk I'm not sure about the steering wheel. Maybe that's how it was ordered.

I'm going to leave her stock. No body kits or lowering springs or stuff like that..

I drop off my cursed 996 :angry: and pick up the new 997 :D on Wednesday. Can't wait ... Like a kid waiting for Christmas...

Will post pics when I pick it up..

awesome ride phillip! love the interior and the options! great buy... you will enjoy it...

Do I see PSE ?

How come you dont have the sport steering wheel if its an S ? My steering wheel looks different than yours...

Sam

What does your steering whell look like Sam?