Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Howdy!!

997-2 CS

Does anyone with a manual transmission have trouble engaging 1st gear from a stop??

Sometimes it is dificult to get into first, even shifting to second or third before trying first again.

Sometimes it delays getting off the line at a red light with the inevitable honker assclowns behind me.

Sometimes I'll cycle the clutch several times and try again...and...no joy!

I don't want to "force" it, I am told one should not "force" german things.

When german things don't work as they are designed, suposedly there is something wrong....right??

Plus, the linkage shift feels sloppy anywaaaayyyyy...I can live with that.

But, dudes, that delay at the red light is frustrating sometimes, embarrasing, WWWTTTFFF!!!!!!!!!

When some hottie sees you sitting there with your finger in your ear its not cool.

( I'm not really that upset, I will probably keep the car anyway.)

(The italics and other gilding was for emphasis only, a form of entertainment and nothing more.) :rolleyes:

Gotta be careful here, some of you I know are sensitive. Don't want to get anyone excercised, OK?

I do love my car,,,,,,,and this web site.

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue with my 997.2 S. However, with additional miles and shifting from 2 to 1 do not have the problem anymore. However, I don't always switch from 2nd gear to 1st gear. So when I bring to complete stop, I move into neutral, make sure clutch is depressed all the way & 1st gear slips nicely in. hope this helps.

Howdy!!

997-2 CS

Does anyone with a manual transmission have trouble engaging 1st gear from a stop??

Sometimes it is dificult to get into first, even shifting to second or third before trying first again.

Sometimes it delays getting off the line at a red light with the inevitable honker assclowns behind me.

Sometimes I'll cycle the clutch several times and try again...and...no joy!

I don't want to "force" it, I am told one should not "force" german things.

When german things don't work as they are designed, suposedly there is something wrong....right??

Plus, the linkage shift feels sloppy anywaaaayyyyy...I can live with that.

But, dudes, that delay at the red light is frustrating sometimes, embarrasing, WWWTTTFFF!!!!!!!!!

When some hottie sees you sitting there with your finger in your ear its not cool.

( I'm not really that upset, I will probably keep the car anyway.)

(The italics and other gilding was for emphasis only, a form of entertainment and nothing more.) :rolleyes:

Gotta be careful here, some of you I know are sensitive. Don't want to get anyone excercised, OK?

I do love my car,,,,,,,and this web site.

Odd that your shifter feels sloppy. I will say that my 997.1's OEM sport shifter requires some effort to engage first when the car isn't warmed up, but it's tight as a drum. Even the non-sport shift in the 997 is light years ahead of the 986/996 shift.

I think that by design, most manual cars keep you out of first gear until the car is moving very slowly or stopped. Second gear up into first at full stop is usually the path of least resistance for me. Maybe the dealer should look at it?

I haven't driven the 997.2 yet, I wonder if they've changed the shift action from the .1.

Mark

Edited by number9ine

As I understand it, any modern tranny has up and down synchro rings (almost all using a Porsche design by the way) on all but the first gear, which lacks the upshift synchro. That's why one usually has to engage 2nd before engaging 1st at a stop. BUT, I must confess that I have the same problem, especially after a long stop with the car idling in neutral. (By habit, I'm reluctant to disengage the clutch while in-gear for long periods of time out of respect for the throwout bearing.) I just live with it, knowing that I can smoke that impatient honker behind me in his Lexus any day of the week.

Edited by 355bhp

• 2 weeks later...

I did have that 60% of the time with my older 2007 997 C2S but not anymore since I've changed to a new 2009 C4S, also manual.

And YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! blXXdy annoying.....

Nothing wrong with my '09 C4S but it only has 1100km on the clock (around 700 miles) ....

So you may want to ask your Porsche dealer to change the whole clutch under warranty. I've had my 07 C2S looked at before too but the Porsche guys have a habit of brushing off issues as a "Porsche experience".

I know how annoying it is so I think it would be worth the while to try to get Porsche to replace the whole tranny box and clutch under warranty. I've had my old 2003 C4S tiptronic tranny replaced twice under warranty before on some tranny oil leaks... That was like 60 Grand worth of parts and labor out here in Korea for FREE!!!!!!

Also ask for a courtesy-loan-a-car when your car's in service - tell them you're addicted to porsches and cannot drive anything else! Always works for me.

Cheers.