Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Loose gear shifting

I bought a 2000 Boxster a few weeks ago and I find that the gear stick has way too much play! I bought a short shifter from ebay as it seems to be a highly recommended mod. I just want to know when you put in the short shifter can you tighten the gear cables to take out this loose play?

You'll likely find the problem is within the shifter bushings themselves; changing to a new shifter should remedy the situation. I have a B&M in my car and love it.

Did you purchase a name brand shifter or a knock-off...I understand the knock-offs are pretty good, but you must reverse the shift handle itself, as it comes backwards (for some reason).

• Moderators

There is no play to adjust out. The "stick" is connected to the transmission via 2 cables about 12 feet long. This vehicle is a mid-engine, with the long transmission cables that run to the rear, up and over the engine, then down to the transmission.

Unlike a "normal" rear dive vehicle where the stick is connected directly to the transmission, this is not the case with a Boxster.

I had the same comment when I first bought mine with a stock shifter. I had the dealership put in a Porsche short shifter, which I believe is a rebranded B&M. I love the feel of short shifter. The play is gone and the shift is much stiffer and obviously shorter. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Yeah it seems after replacing the shifter that the bushings where the problem so replacing them should sort out the problem for the standard shifter

Does anyone know how I could make the shifter spring back to the centre? It seems to be a bit lazy and I have loosened it up. If I take it out of 5th or Reverse then the gear lever does not centre itself. Is there a spring somewhere that might need replacing?

Ive been thinking about tackling the short shifter switch for my next project.

I did a quick search on ebay and they have a pretty wide selection, anywhere from $90 to $250...? All the pictures look pretty much the same.

Vertex has a schnell for $150... Anyone have any insight on whats good and what isnt?

Our shifter was moving around a bit, and frankly felt a tade loose until I changed out the drivetrain mounts(motor and trans). In a month or so, I'll install a 997 shifter housing and see how that improves things. I was mildly surprised how much the trans mounts made a difference(shifter felt tighter, improved gear changes, etc.).

regards

• 2 weeks later...
Our shifter was moving around a bit, and frankly felt a tade loose until I changed out the drivetrain mounts(motor and trans). In a month or so, I'll install a 997 shifter housing and see how that improves things. I was mildly surprised how much the trans mounts made a difference(shifter felt tighter, improved gear changes, etc.).

regards

Well I sprung for the B&M and got the replacement metal shift link for $110...

Ive installed it and now Im having some issues...

First, the shifter is not returning to center, not sure what the mechanics are behind this...?

Second, the shifter is making a "clunk" sound when moving into any of the top (1,3,5 gears). I read about this somewhere else, I think the BM shifter is hitting the housing that supports it...?

regards

Well I sprung for the B&M and got the replacement metal shift link for $110...

Ive installed it and now Im having some issues...

First, the shifter is not returning to center, not sure what the mechanics are behind this...?

Second, the shifter is making a "clunk" sound when moving into any of the top (1,3,5 gears). I read about this somewhere else, I think the BM shifter is hitting the housing that supports it...?

OK... good news, adjusting the linkage a little fixed the clunk.

Still doesn't return to center? Is this something takes a little "wearing in"?

I have done three B & M short shift installations (two 986's and one 996) and haven't had a problem with the shift lever returning easily to "neutral". In all three installations, I made sure there was .002" to .003" longitudinal end play when the bushings were installed on the shift lever shaft. I think it is possible to snug-up the bushings too tightly.

In fact, Step 30 in the B & M instruction manual addresses this:

"STEP 30. Thread Set Screw EE into Aluminum Bushing GG and

reduce "end play" by tightening (verify smooth side-toside

motion is retained). Loosen 1/4 to 1/2 turn and lock

into place with Jam Nut FF ."

Bill

Keep in mind that the 997 shoft shifter assembly from Porsche is the best upgrade for the boxster when it comes to reducing shifter play. With the B&M type SSK's you will have to re-tighten the bolt that holds the shaft of the lever about every half a year to keep the slop from coming back.

The problem with B&M style SSK's is that they dont completely remedy the left - right slop in the shifter. The 997 SSK or 997 GT3 SSK from Porsche is the answer to the slop issues in the 986 and 996 shifter assembly and its a hell of alot easier to install than a B&M type SSK.

Edited by CJ_Boxster

I bought my 996 with a short shifter installed. (possibly a B+M in lightblue aluminium?)

I am not sure but I think I am having a problem with it, it feels all very nice from 2-6 gear but I have an awfull sound in first gear and it feels/sounds like first gear is not fully engaging. could that be?? and in that case deos anybody have a suggestion on how to fix it?

thanks and regards