Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mainly for track C2 or C4

Which car is faster at Laguna Seca, 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive

Which car is faster thru the cones on autocross 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.

Also since I'll probably wind up with a high mile (sort of) 80 or 100K mile car, will a C4 be a lot more expensive generally?

Thanks in advance.

So all things being equal will the C2 go thru a tight Autocross course as fast as a C4?

The better driver is always faster. I think I knew that going into the question.

I would appreciate other opinions on this.

The better driver is always faster.

The power to weight ration will always favor the C2.

So all things being equal will the C2 go thru a tight Autocross course as fast as a C4?

The better driver is always faster. I think I knew that going into the question.

I would appreciate other opinions on this.

The power to weight ration will always favor the C2.

Don't forget that these cars have a lot of understeer dialed-in with the stock set-up, which obviously creates less grip going through a turn. Power and traction to the front wheels in a C4 is nothing without grip. In a tight autocross turn your are likely to experience more understeer in a nose heavier car like a C4 than in a C2.

How many DE's and/or Autocrosses have you done sofar?

JP

Preach it brother!

On an open track the C2's on-throttle oversteer and lighter steering make for a more thrilling ride in my opinion. And the same driver in both cars--having mastered the C2's capabilities--might be slower in the C4 with its extra weight.

In the autocross the C4 will feel as heavy as it is. I've autocrossed a Turbo and on a tight AX course the performance is probably similar to a C4, it was just terrible.

Both will scrub in the AX as jperquin suggests. So you can take the advice of some here and eat half your tires with camber adjustments, or get a Boxster and have it both ways. :)

C4 is rarer than C2 and may cost more as a result. C4 is also harder to find in non-cab, non-Tip configuration than C2 is.

Bottom line: buy what you like, then concentrate on improving the driver. Think about this: most F1 drivers can hop into any car on any course, no matter how mismatched, and turn out a consistent lap time. Since most of us mortals are far below this capability I'd pick up the best example of C2 or C4 your money can buy and use it to work your way to 10/10ths.

Mark

Edited by number9ine

I bought a Box S but can't get seat back far enough. Put it on Craigs last night and will get a C2. I sold my 02 Turbo because I didn't like the way it cornered tho I wasn't tracking the car. 07 Turbo was better but still heavy. Think I'll get the C2 per the suggestions here. If a C4 falls in my lap maybe I'll do it since I'll be on the track more than AX. (If anyone wants a really nice 03 Box S for 17,500 lemme know. Pristine car only tracked today and next Sunday.)

Preach it brother!

On an open track the C2's on-throttle oversteer and lighter steering make for a more thrilling ride in my opinion. And the same driver in both cars--having mastered the C2's capabilities--might be slower in the C4 with its extra weight.

In the autocross the C4 will feel as heavy as it is. I've autocrossed a Turbo and on a tight AX course the performance is probably similar to a C4, it was just terrible.

Both will scrub in the AX as jperquin suggests. So you can take the advice of some here and eat half your tires with camber adjustments, or get a Boxster and have it both ways. :)

C4 is rarer than C2 and may cost more as a result. C4 is also harder to find in non-cab, non-Tip configuration than C2 is.

Bottom line: buy what you like, then concentrate on improving the driver. Think about this: most F1 drivers can hop into any car on any course, no matter how mismatched, and turn out a consistent lap time. Since most of us mortals are far below this capability I'd pick up the best example of C2 or C4 your money can buy and use it to work your way to 10/10ths.

Mark

I bought a Box S but can't get seat back far enough. Put it on Craigs last night and will get a C2. I sold my 02 Turbo because I didn't like the way it cornered tho I wasn't tracking the car. 07 Turbo was better but still heavy. Think I'll get the C2 per the suggestions here. If a C4 falls in my lap maybe I'll do it since I'll be on the track more than AX. (If anyone wants a really nice 03 Box S for 17,500 lemme know. Pristine car only tracked today and next Sunday.)

rhart,

As someone who came from an '03 Boxster S to a '05 911 S I can tell you that there's a lot I miss about my Boxster. The 986/996 seats are the same, I wonder if there's actually any more travel on the 911's seat rails? Maybe someone could chime in here and let us know before you take the plunge.

Have you considered a racing seat for the Boxster? It would certainly be cheaper than switching cars. I stepped up to a 997 because it felt like a vast upgrade over my Boxster, but when I was considering the switch I started out looking at 3.6l 996s. I drove C2 cabs, coupes, a Targa and a C4 cab; none of them really felt like $10-15k more car than my 986S. I did more than a few AX and DE days in the Boxster and it never failed to plant a huge grin on my face.

Best of luck in your search.

Mark

I have had both an 02 Boxster S and now I have a 04 C4S. The seats in my C4S are far more comfortable than the Boxster S seats. The C4S can easily handle a man 6ft plus. I am 6ft 215 LBs and the cabin in the Boxster S was small and confining. I think the real difference for me was the seat back being able to adjust back (to almost flat) and allowing me to set the seat back on long trips to a more comfortable position. The Boxster and the Caymans (even the new 09s) are still small for a big man, due to the inability of the seat to go back due to the constraint of the rear wall. I think if you are 5'10" or shorter you are a match for a Boxster. However if you are over 6ft and over 200 lbs, I think you would be more confortable in a 996. Forget the back seat, it is useless, really designed for small children. To this day, I really don't know why Porsche even bothers with the rear seat, it should be an option. I just love the GT series with no back seat and full carpeting, is really cool. I wish they made a after market carpet set to replace the rear seat in the 996.